Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

so is the test conclusive ??

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
need help , i have a serious problem i dont know if its a mental condition or anything else .. it all started 2 months back when i slept with a prostitue and had protected sexual intercourse , 10 to 11 days later i had a dna hiv pcr test done and it came out NEGATIVE , or should i follow with some other test to be sure ? they said pcr are not meant for low risk exposure like myself why ? does this mean that the result was not true ???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A19124
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history described, I understand you are anxious due to fear of HIV.

Use of a latex condom during sex can reduce their risk of HIV infection because it reduces the chance of getting semen, blood and vaginal secretions (fluids known to carry the virus) into the body. Hence the risk of infection is less in your case.

A HIV DNA PCR test directly measures the amount of HIV in an HIV-positive person's blood. Hence it may detect an HIV infection about a 7-10 days after an exposure. Therefore the PCR test is used by researchers and health care providers to identify infections during the window period. This test has a 100 sensitivity.

Your test stands valid since this was done on the 10th day of exposure.

Since this test has been found NEGATIVE, it is conclusive that you do not have HIV. There is no need to have any more doubts in this regard.

I hope this will help and put your doubts to rest.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.