Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Smooth, red, sore patch on side of tongue, what could it be?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I'm generally not someone who worries too much about health issues unless they're sudden and unusual. I've googled the symptoms and nothing I find really matches. The closest was geography tongue but it has no white edge and really doesn't seem to fit.

It appeared about 3 weeks ago. A patch appeared on the left side of my tongue. About an inch long and half an inch wide. It's smooth and red. As far as pain, it sometimes feels like a mildly burnt tongue. Other times it feels like I bit it. It's not severe. Although tonight it is a little more tender.
It has stayed consistently the same size and colour since it appeared.

Initially I did think I bit or burnt it without realising but it should have improved by now.

As a side note, I have excellent oral hygiene and generally brush 3 times a day, no less than 2. I'm also a generally healthy guy.

I don't want to waste time and money going to a doctor if it's not necessary. I also want to catch it early if it's something I need to take care of. I do have to admit that it is something that's getting me pretty worried.

I would appreciate any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 4th, 2012
Sore tongue
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I have done some research and I think the best way forward is to visit the dentist who is expert at reading mouth problems. I am making an appointment tomorrow and I hope you do too as it may be nothing or something that needs fixing now, in the early stages. Best wishes.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
I'm starting to think the same. Although it does seem to be getting better my side. I think I'll keep an eye on it.
Good luck.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
Tongue
Hi again. Went to the dentist and he did full mouth check. It is a geographical tongue which is as common as anything and completely harmless. He gave me a mouthwash, Difflam Oral Rinse that numbs the tongue if it gets sore. If yours does not go in the near future please visit the dentist. Tongue cancer is easily cured if found early and it is always better to be safe than sorry. Best wishes.
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Glad to hear it isn't serious. I'll definitely keep a watch on it and see what it does.
I really appreciate the feedback.
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2012
Well it can be some allergic reaction or may be with some food while eating...There can be many reason.
|

replied October 25th, 2013
Reply to 'Sore Patch on Tongue'
I know that this post is from 2012, but I wanted to write here in case you're still dealing with this issue. I dealt with this exact same tongue issue for a long time & received several different diagnoses before learning that it was actually a rare vitamin B2 deficiency. Geographic Tongue isn't painful like what I experienced, and like what it sounds like you have experienced. A good B Complex vitamin should fix you right up. You may want to add Vitamin D as well, because, if you're deficient in D, you won't be able to absorb other nutrients. It'd also be good to include more B-rich foods in your diet like almonds, ham, and leafy greens. I was able to get to the bottom of my tongue (and peeling lips!) issue / vitamin B deficiency because of someone who posted in an online thread like this one, so I hope I'm passing along the favor. Best of luck!
|