Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Smoking and Gout

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Anyone think there is a relationship between smoking and gout?? I suspect the amount you smoke can make your prone to smoking.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper painfree
|

replied September 30th, 2008
Experienced User
I can envision a possible relationship between smoking and gout. Smoking inflames the air passage, so that the airway is narrower than it otherwise would be. That exacerbates sleep apnea, which is the repeated cessation of breathing for many seconds at a time when the airway muscles relax during sleep. The episodes of sleep apnea reduce the amount of oxygen in the blood, causing the cells to undergo a catabolic process each time which culminates irreversibly in their generation of excess uric acid fed into the blood. The lack of breathing also increases the percentage of carbon dioxide in the blood, which makes the blood more acidic so that uric acid is more readily dumped out of the blood as crystals of monosodium urate. When these crystals lodge in a joint, they cause a gout attack.
|

replied October 1st, 2008
Experienced User
I did not think of the former point, but I was considering the latter point. I feel smoking makes your blood more acidic. But the former argument in that smoking can be like sleep apnea is interesting.

Maybe it is a double wammy??
|

replied October 1st, 2008
Experienced User
It has been established by sleep physicians that smoking exacerbates sleep apnea. A rise in blood acidity can make a gout flare more likely to occur, but I have never researched whether smoking has that effect.
|

replied October 5th, 2008
Experienced User
Quote:
Anyone think there is a relationship between smoking and gout?? I suspect the amount you smoke can make your prone to smoking.

I meant to say there might be a relationship between smoking and gout. The more you smoke the greater the more prone you are to gout attacks.

Exacerbates sleep apnea, maybe I am not sure. But even for those who do not have apnea, I think smoking can increase the amount of acidity in the blood and may help to bring on a gout attack. I do not think smoking causes gout attacks directly, but inconjuction with another factor may make gout attacks frequent/sever.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
yes. Smoking defenitely causes an Increase in Blood uric acid which can lead to gout. i am a sufferer of gout from the past 8 years, now quit smoking and started to take 3Gm of Vitamin C. My Gout is Gone almost...hope this will help you . ONCE AGAIN, SMOKER WITH GOUT? PLEASE QUIT
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2010
free radical damage
The relationship of Smoking and Free Radical Damage is talked about all over the place and with all that damage to the cells, it's seems obvious that the acidity will build up and the blood oxygen levels will suffer. You hear all the time how smoking causes Heart Disease and Diabetes and seems like most people with Gout are on the fast track for both of those, so listen to mhs4u! sunny
|

replied July 13th, 2011
My husband had quit smoking for 9 months and it seemed his gout attacks had lessened. Then a big bout of stress popped up and he started smoking again. About a month later his gout started to flare up and this episode has lasted for weeks. I wondered if there might be a connection? My husband also has sleep apnea. These shared experiences has been convinced that there is a connection with gout and smoking. Now to get my husband back off the smokes. Thanks everyone for sharing.
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2011
Gout and Sleep Apnea
Yes jbenning - there are all sorts of connections. Sleep apnea maybe explain the connection with smoking. Sleep apnea causes low blood oxygen saturation in the blood with allows of the accumulation of uric acid and generally causes the blood to become more acidic. Smoking must do the same thing or similar. One the most important ways our body gets rid of acidity is with proper breathing - which sort of runs counter to the concept of smoking. Google this guy "Burton Abrams" and you will get a huge education about gout and sleep apnea - he's done a lot of work on it. He believes gout is caused by sleep apnea and quite possibly everyone who has gout has sleep apnea. It explains why most gout attacks happen at night or people wake up with them. Hope that helps - get that guy off the cigs before he kills himself! protest
|

replied July 14th, 2011
Experienced User
Smoking exacerbates sleep apnea because it inflames the linings of the airway, making the airway more likely to close up when its muscles relax during sleep. A gout flare that originates while sleeping then occurs as a result of the decreased oxygen intake from sleep apnea.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
gout, sleep apnea and marijuana's potential benefit
American government scientists have recently proven over 7-year observational periods that Marijuana can improve lung function and oxygen absorbtion due to it's anti-inflammatory properties (which cigs don't have). In moderate ammounts it helps to open up the bronchial passages, which is a big surprise to many. from your post it sounds quite possible that moderate marijuana use could potentially help those with sleep apnea.
|

replied April 18th, 2014
Gout is diet related and is suffered by those unfortunate individuals who loose the enzyme in their blood responsible for breaking down Uric Acid. Smoking does not cause gout. Sleep apnea does not cause gout. There are far too many quackish opinions on this site.
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2014
"There are far too many quackish opinions on this site"

. . . including yours. Diet is only one part of the gout puzzle just as it is health in general.
|
Tags: smoking, smoke
Quick Reply