Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Smoking after tonsil removal ?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
i just got my tonstils removed on the 29th of april it is now the 13th of may. i am a smoker i smoke about a pack a day i have been without one for all this time and i am going crazy. the dr told me i am healing well i can eat real food and everything. i did have a prob where i was bleeding.the scab ripped. but the doc said it wont happen again. when can i start smoking?i dont want to mess up anything

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A12080
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You want to know when can you resume smoking after tonsillectomy.
Smoking has been shown to increase the risk of post operative hemorrhage after tonsillectomy in some studies especially when combined with uvulopalatopharyngoplasty.
The risk of hemorrhage is greater in the first 24 hours and the delayed hemorrhage is usually seen between 5th-10th post-operative period. As you have now 2 weeks gone past operation, the risk of bleed is minimal but it is better to quit smoking for good now because of its other adverse effects on health. If you have controlled yourself for 2 weeks you might realise that you can do without smoking as well. You must seek the help of your doctor and he can help you by suggesting a support group for the same.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.