Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Smelly white discharge, no burning or itching?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hi Im 19 and have been sexually active for about 6 months with my boyfriend of about 2 years, he's been my only sexual partner.

Now, I know this has been posted a lot but I still haven't really found an answer that applies 100% to me. My cycle is almost perfect, every 28 days, only for 5 days, ovulate 14 days after, and generally have little to no cramps on my actual period but sometimes more during ovulation. I've been keeping track of my discharge for a long while now and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on my "problem".

Discharge is clear and watery after my period for about a week-week and a half, not heavy or anything. Then it starts to become very sticky, verrryyy sticky. It then changes to white discharge, it's thick but not "cottage cheese" more milky and less mucousy and smells ew. It's not so strong that I can smell it though my clothes, but enough to be able to smell it on my finger about 10-15cm from my nose. I don't know what kind if smell it is.. I love my seafood and when people say "smells fishy"... well it definitely doesn't remind me of fish. It's not metallic either.

Im just a little embarrassed as my boyfriend has been going on about oral sex.

Most posts I see say it could be BV, but this isn't a sudden thing, I've had this for a long time, not as badly before we started having intercourse though. I don't douche or use scented soaps, my diet could probably include more vegetables but it's otherwise alright. Water intake is pretty normal. Oh we always use a condom as well.

I have oh had a urine infection once probably because of not showering afterwards. But it was quite a while ago now.

I just want to know if this is normal? Was I just blessed with smelly discharge? Is there anything I can do about it?

On a slightly unrelated note, I'll ask while Im here I guess.
Sometimes after sex I get very sore, sore in the places you get cramps. Feels like cramps sometimes and it happens about half an hour after and can last for up to a day. is this normal too?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2013
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Your vaginal discharge has a natural odor due to the many causes like composition of the discharge/secretions, changes due to hydration levels, changes in pH and resident bacterial activity (the smell and consistency change during your menstrual cycle based on response to hormonal level changes before and after ovulation). Vaginal manipulation and unprotected intercourse can lead to introduction of infection. The use of excessive spices, condiments, preservatives, garlic, onion, etc in food can also alter the vaginal discharge smell. Experiencing pain or soreness during or after intercourse that you describe could indicate possibilities like vaginal infection, injury, cervicitis, cervix erosion, cervical dysplasia, pelvic adhesions, endometriosis, PID, etc. If the symptoms have been persistent, you should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for examination and vaginal swab/smear test to look for the underlying cause (especially to rule out infective causes for the altered or foul smell of vaginal discharge). Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid vaginal douching, or use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation and keep the area clean and dry. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, it is important get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.