Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Smelly groin area (Page 1)

Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
Hi, for about the past year I have had this odor coming from below the belt. I cannot stand this smell any longer. I shower twice a day and scrub the region very well with dial soap (i've tried over 10 different soap brands). 15 minutes after the shower, the odor is back. Over the day my area (mostly the package) sweats and the smell gets worse and worse. Somedays it itches like crazy! I've tried baby powder, which seemed to help with the sweat and contained the smell only for about an hour or so. I don't know what to do... im worried that something may be wrong. Its gotten to the point where if I don't shower twice a day i have ppl such as my mother pointing out how bad i smell. The worst part is when it comes to the ladies and the insecurity of hoping she doesn't smell me.... Please help! Thanks,

A guy in need Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SailBeatle
|

replied January 16th, 2009
Smelly groin area.
Yes this is common and I had it myself, what it is from is from showering and not being able to get all the wet areas in your groin area, an easy fix to to buy baby powder and pat some stuff down there after you dry off from taking a shower and it will feel and smell just like normal.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 30th, 2009
fix your scrotum stink
Buy some clotrimazole solution and soak the area
do this for 3-4 days until it has gone Smile
|

replied July 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Hey phil123125
Most groin odor is usually fungal in nature. Like Kymart23 mentioned it's from residual water from showering but also from sweat gathering in the groin. I'd suggest you try an anti-fungal soap if only to wash your groin. It may take a few weeks but you should see a pronounced change.
|

replied August 30th, 2009
well I just replied to this same question to somebody else one minute ago, but what you are describing sounds certainly like a fungal infection, unfortunately labelled "crotch rot". Make sure to keep the area dry with talcum powders for about 6 weeks, also get some lamisil or ketoconazole from a pharmacy and use it daily for 6 weeks after cleaning and drying the area. At a Dr. you can get the creams twice as strong, so better to go there. Yes, also, it would be unbearably itchy sometimes with crotch rot. It happens more than you would think, so dont feel bad about it. Remember it is very important to keep the area dry as often as you possibly can even if it means keeping paper towels with you and going to the pisser every 10 minutes to wipe the sweat off the groin if it's a very hot day!
|

replied October 9th, 2011
I've been making an effort to give some good news to all that suffer from this.

For me it started about six years ago after a surgery. I was on a month long antibiotic regimen of IV antibiotics twice a day. I also didn't wash that well because my foot had sutures and was healing. I was fighting infection and read that tap water can infect an injury like mine. So i took "spit baths". So my problem could of started because of hygiene, or because of antibiotics. I think it was a bit of both.

For years i've tried all the creams from doctors. I went to dermatologists. I went to urologists. I've tried home remediates of vinegar to balance the PH (ON THE OUTSIDE). And it just always came back.

Recently I've been using two things that have given me great results.

1. Alka Green
I've been taking this because it balances the internal PH (INSIDE your body). I take the power form and only one tablespoon a day.

2. Inner-Eco Power Packed Probiotic Kefir from Whole Foods. I take two tablespoons a day.

Now one of these is taking care of the problem. I'll talk a bit about what they do.

Alka Green balances the bodies PH. It is suggested that Acidic bodies are prone to infection and other problems. Also, tonight i just read this article about how when your body has sweat thats oily and doesnt dry, its considered ACIDIC. This is big news because thats just the type of sweat that my BALLS had. It never dried and it was sticky down there. It was so messed up, and so uncomfortable and embarrassing and smelly. Heres the article that talks about the Acidic oily sweat. Please note, the site looks like its a scam but I'm not selling anything. Just read his article, don't buy anything from him (unless you want to, i didn't). So after my lengthy info, in short, Alka Green could be balancing out my ACIDIC system and therefore I'm not producing the oily ACIDIC sweat, thats hard to dry (sound familiar).

The second thing i'll talk about is Inner-Eco Power Packed Probiotic Kefir. I went to Whole Foods to buy some probiotics because the condition was causing Fungus or Yeast infections down there. This is probably due to the constant wetness. So i read that if your system doesn't have the Probiotics that it naturally has, then you will be susceptible to Yeast or Fungus infections (like jock itch if your a guy). So i decided i was going to try Probiotics. Now remember, I said that i was on antibiotics and they usually wipe out not only the bad bacteria but the good bacteria that prevents things like yeast infections or jock itch. So this could be the thing thats actually helping me.

Please note, i took pro biotics before but this one seems to do the trick. Again, its Inner-Eco PowerPacked Probiotic Kefir. Its liquid and has TRILLIONS of cultures pure serving.

Im not sure which is curing the problem, the Alka Green "POWERDER" or the Inner-Eco pro biotic. Im taking both because their both good for me anyway.

Good luck, I'm copying this info and pasting it on every site that has questions about this horrible issue that i've spent at least $2000 on trying to solve with doctor visits and their creams and whatever else. So now i feel i have a solution and know how horrible it can be to try and live with it. I also know how annoying the usual comments and suggestion are like, "you need to shower more" and all the other obvious stuff. Im sure you know how to wash your self *shakes head*.

A few more tips:
I always dry my groin with a towel after I'm done drying the rest of my body. I always use a new towel for every shower. Yes, I'm still showering twice a day but now some days i only need to shower once and i still feel clean. I always use the hair dryer to dry my BALLS (sorry ladies). Also, a good trick is to put a cold soda or beer can between your legs, its awesome and so cool. Keeps you from sweating. But i really think if you investigate the products and article that i listed below, you will be able to stop the tips i just mention...in time.

So good luck, heres some links and post back if it worked!!!!

In closing I hope you guys don't shy away thinking I'm selling something. Its not the case. Im here to help because i've suffered from this for years.
|

replied January 4th, 2012
smell
my penis area stinks and itchying it makes me go crazy
|

replied January 4th, 2012
smell
my penis area stinks and itchying it makes me go crazy dont know what to do yhe smell is extremley strong
|

replied January 27th, 2012
use Nivea for men, anti perspirant
|

replied December 8th, 2012
you need to wash your tip every time you piss. If you are uncut, you should also clean under skin regularly. Some drops of urine left near the tip can get microbial grow there.
|

replied December 17th, 2012
A simple solution that works very well wash the area with femine vaginal wash at least every other day. Use a little less than the size of a dime, it works.
|

replied January 8th, 2013
Testicle smell
There is a powder called nutscents that will help.
|

replied January 14th, 2013
I dealt with this issue for 2 years and I went to the Doctor about 12 times in all over this. Each Doctor claimed it was a fungal infection and I needed to put on this fungal cream that cost $100 a tube. They claimed after 2 weeks I would not have this issue.

I used the cream for 3 weeks and the smell was still there even though it saw at about 1/4 the normal smell but even using the cream for months the itching and smell came back. After 2 years of this going on and 12 different Doctors , I had no idea what else to do. At this point I had spent over $7k in Doctor and med bills, only to be dealing with the same issue.

The one day I got out of the shower and I saw a tube on the counter that my wife had bought for a burn she had gotten while cooking the week before ... Equaline Brand Triple Antibiotic Ointment (First Aid Antibiotic) with Polymyxin B Sulfate , Bacitracin Zinc , Neomycin Sulfate. I used it and applied it over the whole area and within 2 days the smell was totally gone and the itching stopped the second I applied the ointment. I continued using for 2 weeks and the whole issue was over... So I paid over $7k in bills over 2 years for an issue that a $3.99 tube of ointment fixed in 2 weeks and stopped the itching/pain/smell the second I applied it.

Modern Medicine my ass!!! The Doctors could give a shiot less but sure as hell wanted their money on time!!!
In the end my thanks went to my wife and equaline for making a good product.
|

replied July 25th, 2013
I have the same problem, but it only stinks where my shaft meets my balls. Sorry for the language but have no clue how else to describe it. Is that the same "fungal infection"?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2013
Your all suffering from "Jock Itch"
You all are suffering from a condition called Jock Itch. It is the male form of female thrush but on the outside, the condition is a fungal infection that is caused by over sweating and fungi being able to grow there, men normally see a greater chance of getting it in the summer time and can be treated simply by over the counter thrush creams like Canasten 1% cream, apply twice a day for 2 weeks to make sure that its gone. the infection starts between the legs and moves outwards making a red ring around the outside of edge of the infection. you'll also notice singular red patches. after taking a shower the infection still makes you feel like you are sweating down there and you continually feel dirty. a fishy odor starts to appear that smells like ("To put it in the best possible way")the same smell as semen but warmed up.

To help reduce catching it again, try not to wear tight fitting underwear like jock straps (see where it gets its name) or trunk boxers try to wear 100% cotton ones and try to get enough air to to area as possible. when you have showered, dry thoroughly and may even use anti fungal talcum powder or any normal talc. always keep a spare jube of 1% cream handy, if you think that you might have the onset coming you could always pretreat it before it gets worst, always be wary on very hot days and if you find that you are sweating a lot, try to keeo the area dry by going to a toilet of some sort and wiping the are with either tissues or wet wipes and then tissue to dry.
|

replied September 2nd, 2013
Experienced User
Yes this is common and I had it myself, what it is from is from showering and not being able to get all the wet areas in your groin area, an easy fix to to buy baby powder and pat some stuff down there after you dry off from taking a shower and it will feel and smell just like normal.
|

replied October 2nd, 2013
Easy DIY treatment that cured Jock Itch for me.
Bollocks to doctors and pharmaceutical creams, I worked out a cure after reading this particular thread and thought the very least I could do was relate back how I solved my own stinky groin problem that I had had for at least ten years.
Showering every day, anti-bac soap, yada yada I had tried it all many times with no lasting effect.
The thing that actually led to what worked for me was the reply by Daniel 13333 where he observed that it was Jock itch and actually a fungal infection.
I had recently been looking at natural soaps, diy cleaners etc and started looking up Borax and its uses and Bing, there it was - Borax - very effective anti fungal agent.
The next day I went to my local hardware store and bought a 1kg tub of Borax for $8 (Bunnings in OZ) and a small 1/2 litre (1 pint) spray bottle for a $1.50 ish. That night I filled the kettle with filtered water, boiled it and then let it cool for a while.
N.B Filtered water and boiling it first may make absolutely no difference whatsoever, I only did it because I didn't want the possibility of anything in the water reacting with the Borax and reducing its effect - if even chemically possible?
Anyway, I poured the water into the spray bottle and added two teaspoons of the Borax powder, not all of it dissolved so you can obviously use less.
Onto the shower, I sprayed and washed my groin and bell end with the borax solution whilst in the shower, then repeated another few sprays after I got out and had dried myself. About an hour later I was reeling with excitement that my nads were no longer stinking but gave them another few sprays anyway - for good measure.
The additional sprays may have done nothing extra, I don't know - what I do know is that for under ten bucks I have cured a problem that I have lived with for a ridiculous amount of time, all because I finally thought of looking on the internet to see if anyone else had the same unpleasant problem.
FWIW, this also works on dick cheese smell and if you have stinky armpits too.
Furthermore after reading more stuff about uses for Borax, my wife and I have started using the same spray bottle for washing our hair - it obviously doesn't lather up but it has cured my dandruff and makes your hair feel so much nicer than normal shampoo and conditioner. Go figure.
|

replied November 29th, 2013
I'd be careful about applying Borax to the groin (or anywhere on the body). Apparently it's fairly toxic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax#Toxicit y
|

replied November 22nd, 2013
Try a salt water bath....
So I have also had a distinct smell to my groin over the years. That was almost yeasty, but none of my girlfriends ever cared and I just found it a little interesting that this area smelled like no other part of my body. The girls I dated also dismissed it by saying it was my pheromones or some other form of machismo/testosterone as being a man. Fast-forward to this past week when I got married and my wife and I retreated to Key West for our honeymoon and enjoyed a week of fun in the sun and watersports. Now Key West has some of the saltiest water in the world, second highest salinity concentration someone told me when I was there. Towards the end of our trip and until recently my balls have not smelled at all. Like nothing. My wife and I joke that this was my machismo dying off after having said my vows of matrimony but as I researched it seems now that I was merely harboring some form of fungal growth that was otherwise undetectable. My wife still jokes that it's my pheromones depleting from lack of needing to attract any new women into my life but if you're unhappy with your testicular smell maybe all you need is a high salinity salt water bath. Not sure what to recommend as far as salts... kosher, sea, epson or the like but I hope maybe someone more intellectual than I can shed more light on this experience. If nothing else maybe someone will enjoy my wife's anecdotal rousing. Anticipate what other's think.
|

replied December 16th, 2013
Dude. Can''t wait to try alka green. Antibiotics was the problem plus my diet.
Honestly, we should smell a little and we, with the really bad smell should not give up hope. I have tried probiotics and really haven''t worked. I do know that garlic pills will help jock itch and redness. Im trying alka green and will repost. Thanks for the tip
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Stinky and itchy scrutum
I have been advised to apply fungex powder. Hope it works. Stinks and drives me crazy - feel like scrubbing with a wire brush
|

replied February 6th, 2014
Is there anything that I can do that does not involve buying anything because I am 14 and I don't really want to have to explain to my patents that I have ---- because my balls smell horrible
|

replied February 6th, 2014
Is there anything that I can do that does not involve buying anything because I am 14 and I don't really want to have to explain to my patents that I have ---- because my balls smell horrible
|
12 >>