Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Smelly gas and skinny/sticky poop

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
hi- I am a 25 y/o female in good health. For 2 weeks I have HORRIBLE gas and "skinny" poop that is very "sticky" (like have to use a lot of toilet paper bc it is so thick.) I have no abdominal pain or issues but this is humiliating! I excercise on a daily basis and alternate between cardio and weight lifting. I don't know if I should try some at home remedies or seek professional help??? I am on a mild antibiotic for a sinus infection (2 weeks ago)(bactrim). I hate to be so paranoid but I'm begining to think something is really wrong-I've never been like this! I've always been very regular and hardly EVER have gas. No food has ever upset my stomach but I do have gas after eating fiber bars (which i know is normal) please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lterry
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2011
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

Stomach or intestinal gas is a byproduct generated during the process of digestion. It is generally expelled from the body, either through the mouth (called belching or burping) or through the rectum (flatulence or flatus). Excessive production of gas that causes bloating could be due to indigestion or reduced quantity of good bacteria in the gut.

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, OTC medications such as activated charcoal, probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements can be used for intestinal or stomach gas relief. Activated charcoal tablets have the best effect in relieving your symptoms.

Other important aspects of disease management include dietary and lifestyle modification, physical exercise, weight loss, maintaining adequate hydration.

Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

You might consider consulting your general physician or a gastroenterologist who after a physical examination may determine to get additional tests to derive a definitive diagnosis to your problem.

I hope you find this helpful.

|

replied March 7th, 2014
Constipation
Hi Doctor,

I'm 28 years old. i have GERD(acidity/hertburn/sore taste mouth).. and Constipation (irregular bowl and sticky stool).. I think because of stickiness i got constipation.. not sure..

I have tried all fibre foods and no good results..

Please suggest me how to get out of this..

Thanks
Mahesh..
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.