Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Smelly belly button discharge

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hi,

I am constantly getting waxy discharge from my belly button which really stinks - it smells like ass. I have had irregular and very heavy and painful periods since i got them. 2 years ago i was sent in for a laparoscopy to see if i had endimetriosis, which i dont, the stitches in my belly button got very badly infected post op, golden staf. I was given antibiotics which fixed it up. but it keeps coming back, despite heavier doses of antibiotics. The smelly discharge comes with swelling and soreness around the navel and increased occurances of thrush.

I had one miscarriage 6 months after the operation, i was almost 3 months along.
I have been told by a doctor that i have an abnormally deep navel, inspite of being a little larger. Doctors just keep giving me antibiotics, but there must be something else going on for it to be coming back so constantly.
what could it be? what could fix it? i need to get it fixed as my partner has leukemia and i dont want to make his health worse.

melanie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shei_3
|
Users who thank gypsysouls for this post: shei_3 

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I would think that they would able to identify what type of infection you have and from there give you the correct medication.

Could it be that you are taking the correct medication but not strong or long enough?

May want to get a second or third opinion...no one wants to have a smelly belly button.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
If you are experiencing thrush you might try a yeast cleanse. The antibiotics could have killed enough good bacteria that now your body isn't working right because yeast have taken over. Yeast are a rather evil fungus that can throw everything off in your body. The discharge could be from anything really, and a yeast cleanse can't hurt you. It's worth a try
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2009
yeast cleanse
hey, thanks for the replies so far, how do you do a yeast clense? never heard of that before.

thanks, melanie
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2009
Supporter
It sounds like you have a collection on 'old' water in your navel that becomes stagnate. Basically, you just need to make sure you dry it out well. Dry it with your towel, then place a small wad of Kleenex or tissue there and leave it in for a few minutes. If you lay down on your belly this will really help. You can also try applying a cotton ball soaked in alcohol adfterwards. The alcohol will help the excess water to dry up faster.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
You lot are so un-natural!!!
Stop using those creams! there is a natural cure for most human ailments and infections.
For a possible infected belly button, try squeezing a few drops of a freshly cut lemon into the hole.
et voila!
Smell replaced by lemon scent and infection dealt with by the power of citrus!
I hope this helps.
Shei
|

replied September 14th, 2009
Belly Button Smelly Discharge
It's prolly yeast, I was looking up this question on yahoo answers and this was what I found: If you are overweight, then your bellybutton is going to be deep, and this can lead to problems for you. It has nothing to do with the food you eat, nor does it require antibiotics- it is unlikely to be a bacterial infection. It is not coming from the inside of your body- it is coming from the skin- there is no opening that gets from the inside through the belly button.

The navel is prone to yeast infections in larger people- it is warm, moist and dark and if your blood has a high sugar content that can help too. Gently use a cotton bud to clean inside it, and use an athelete's foot ointment inside it to stop the fungus. Please do not use hydrogen peroxide can damage the skin, and there is no evidence to say that it helps in yeast infections- it is not the best remedy as it can irritate and cause skin breakdown. You need to counteract the organism, and its most likely a fungus. You need miconozole or clotrimazole (1% should be enough) to combat the fungus, the same one that causes yeast infecitons and atheletes foot.

You can also make the navel less inviting for the fungus. Dry inside your navel well after bathing, and make sure to dry it if you are sweaty, go swimming, etc. Reapply the anti-fungal ointment 2-3 times a day. You can put a plug of cotton in the navel if its really discharging- put the antifungal ointment on a cotton bud, swirl it inside, then put the cotton in- your own handmade belly button lint!- and allow it to soak up any drainage. When you have a shower, rinse well with running water, then dry with a cotton bud or even a blow dryer set on low heat. Keep it dry throughout the day using cotton or cotton buds (Q-tips).

The very bottom of the navel is anchored by a cord left over from your birth, so it makes the hole deep when your stomach is large, and causes a pulling feeling if it is stretched too much; if the inside of the navel is sore it can be more sore to touch, or you may have an umbilical hernia- not so unusual in larger people. Only a doctor can tell if its a hernia- but if the area hurts when you cough, sneeze or push to open your bowels unless you put pressure on it to hold it in, or if it hurts to touch it, and/or if there is a bulge right near your belly button, then it might be a hernia. The stabbing pain could be from irritation inside, or from a hernia- only a doctor though can tell you if its a hernia for certain- and they can do it with one physical exam. If it is, they are likely not to do much but tell you to lose weight, as it will resolve the hernia if you do slim down. It is only dangerous to have an umbilical hernia if it gets tangled- something your likely type of hernia would rarely do. They only do surgery for an umbilical hernia if its an emergency. Wearing too tight jeans or trousers or waist bands only makes it worse, btw.

If the GP is making you feel badly, tell them straight off "I know I am big, but can you skip the lecture and help me?" They tell you about weight because it does cause so many problems, but they dont mean to scare you off going for help when you need it. You shouldn't have any skin discharging or getting sore- or have pain that you don't understand- its not good for you. Just because you are not Twiggy doesn't mean you don't deserve to be taken care of.

Of course, if you really don't feel like you can see the doctor, ask to see the nurse. Patients often feel more confident with the nruse than the doctor when they feel embarassed. But, feeling lost without help is worse than feeling embarassed... I realise that you are both afraid there is something wrong and ashamed of your size, but maybe you can get help with both things at the same time? Being overweight isn't just your fault- there may be things the doctor's practice can do to help you if you want to lose weight.

Good luck- hope things heal soon, it must be nasty to be so uncomfortable. DOn't be ashmaed of your weight- you are as much a person as anyone else.
Source(s):
Merck manual online
20+ years nursing experience
Senior clinical nurse
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Belly Button Discharge (males)
I'm a 21 year old male and for the last three days I have had belly button discharge. The waxy discharge smells horrible and I'm wondering exactly how this could happen? I have also had stomach sickness ever since this started happening... Is this something serious; like to see a doctor?

Please help...
|

replied December 5th, 2009
HI
I am a 22year male and i have been having a brown smelly discharge frim my belly button. My belly button hurts like hell. I went to the doctor and he said just take pain killers and if that dosent helps, there have to be a surgery. The only problem I have right now is that i cannot go to surgery my exam are on right now and the biggest problem is the smell and the discharge.
pls tell me how to get rid of the smell. Because with that smell I cant Study.
Thank you very much.
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
This may help you...I recall I did this years ago...Get a clean wash rag...Run some hot water...Dip one end into it and get it wet...Don't scald yourself, you just want to soothe the area inside that is somewhat affected...Do this three or four times in one session keeping the rag warm...Do it a few times a day...Dry it off carefully with a clean rag when you are done...

I hope this helps...Good luck with the exams...

Caroline
|

replied November 7th, 2010
Hi everyone,
Ive recently started having smelly button discharge also, I have just had my appendix out by the keyhole surgery and have finished my antibiotics now. i don't think my keyhole surgery has anything to do with it because its happened me before. but im really starting to worry because the smell is terrible and its almost as if theres white puss xoming out of it also. when i touch my bellybutton it becomes very red and tender also. is this anything i should be worried about?

Finuni
|

replied December 12th, 2010
Snelly belly button help
You should try navel fresh spray. It has chlorhexadine which kills fungus and bacteria and it smells delicious too! More like a body spray than a medicine. I'm overweight and I had a bad time with belly button smell but this really works!
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
Smelly Navel Button
Hi, I also have been getting a smelly navel button, I have been paying very close attention to cleaning it well. The smell comes when I least expect it. I figure the smell wont come back but then It will. I want to try to get the navel fresh spray. Can you buy this over the counter at the drugs store? And do you apply this after each shower?
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
Smelly Navel Button
Hi, I also have been getting a smelly navel button, I have been paying very close attention to cleaning it well. The smell comes when I least expect it. I figure the smell wont come back but then It will. I want to try to get the navel fresh spray. Can you buy this over the counter at the drugs store? And do you apply this after each shower?
|

replied September 20th, 2011
Smelly discharge fromt he Belly button.
If you are overweight, then your bellybutton is going to be deep, and this can lead to problems for you. It has nothing to do with the food you eat, nor does it require antibiotics- it is unlikely to be a bacterial infection. It is not coming from the inside of your body- it is coming from the skin- there is no opening that gets from the inside through the belly button.

The navel is prone to yeast infections in larger people- it is warm, moist and dark and if your blood has a high sugar content that can help too. Gently use a cotton bud to clean inside it, and use an athelete's foot ointment inside it to stop the fungus. Please do not use hydrogen peroxide can damage the skin, and there is no evidence to say that it helps in yeast infections- it is not the best remedy as it can irritate and cause skin breakdown. You need to counteract the organism, and its most likely a fungus. You need miconozole or clotrimazole (1% should be enough) to combat the fungus, the same one that causes yeast infecitons and atheletes foot.

You can also make the navel less inviting for the fungus. Dry inside your navel well after bathing, and make sure to dry it if you are sweaty, go swimming, etc. Reapply the anti-fungal ointment 2-3 times a day. You can put a plug of cotton in the navel if its really discharging- put the antifungal ointment on a cotton bud, swirl it inside, then put the cotton in- your own handmade belly button lint!- and allow it to soak up any drainage. When you have a shower, rinse well with running water, then dry with a cotton bud or even a blow dryer set on low heat. Keep it dry throughout the day using cotton or cotton buds (Q-tips).

The very bottom of the navel is anchored by a cord left over from your birth, so it makes the hole deep when your stomach is large, and causes a pulling feeling if it is stretched too much; if the inside of the navel is sore it can be more sore to touch, or you may have an umbilical hernia- not so unusual in larger people. Only a doctor can tell if its a hernia- but if the area hurts when you cough, sneeze or push to open your bowels unless you put pressure on it to hold it in, or if it hurts to touch it, and/or if there is a bulge right near your belly button, then it might be a hernia. The stabbing pain could be from irritation inside, or from a hernia- only a doctor though can tell you if its a hernia for certain- and they can do it with one physical exam. If it is, they are likely not to do much but tell you to lose weight, as it will resolve the hernia if you do slim down. It is only dangerous to have an umbilical hernia if it gets tangled- something your likely type of hernia would rarely do. They only do surgery for an umbilical hernia if its an emergency. Wearing too tight jeans or trousers or waist bands only makes it worse, btw.

If the GP is making you feel badly, tell them straight off "I know I am big, but can you skip the lecture and help me?" They tell you about weight because it does cause so many problems, but they dont mean to scare you off going for help when you need it. You shouldn't have any skin discharging or getting sore- or have pain that you don't understand- its not good for you. Just because you are not Twiggy doesn't mean you don't deserve to be taken care of.

Of course, if you really don't feel like you can see the doctor, ask to see the nurse. Patients often feel more confident with the nruse than the doctor when they feel embarassed. But, feeling lost without help is worse than feeling embarassed... I realise that you are both afraid there is something wrong and ashamed of your size, but maybe you can get help with both things at the same time? Being overweight isn't just your fault- there may be things the doctor's practice can do to help you if you want to lose weight.

Good luck- hope things heal soon, it must be nasty to be so uncomfortable. DOn't be ashmaed of your weight- you are as much a person as anyone else.
|