Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Smells of car exhaust

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
On Saturday the 18th I noticed a smell of car exhaust in my bedroom. I didn't notice
it in church on sun morn. Now here in the living room it is noticible. I live in an all electric home in a neighborhood with very light traffic. Noone else in the house notices any smell like this. It is not overwhelming, but it is the unmistakeable smell of car exhaust. really annoying. I am a smoker, today I have had seven smokes from about 9 o'clock to 5 pm. I have not turned on the a.c. yet this year. we have been using one small electric heater in the bedroom and an electric radiator type in the kitchen/dining which opens up to the living. This is bothering me because noone else smells this and that is the reason I post this here.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2009
I smell car exhaust
I too smell car exhaust in my bedroom, livingroom, car, bathroom , at work,anywhere I am I smell it and its driving me nuts. I am an ex smoker having smoked for 36 years and quit 6 months ago. Like you,no one but myself smells this.........
|

replied May 17th, 2009
just a guess
Is there any possible way it is because you have both smoked, that the toxins in the smoke have toiled with your sense of smell? I don't smoke, and i have never smelled that before.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
constantly Smelling car exhaust fumes
I just starting smelling car exhaust fumes, and I smell it no matter where I am at. No one else smells it. It is actually making me sick to my stomach, and it makes me cough alot and I am spitting up alot of phelm. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
I too have been smelling exhaust like fumes... it started 6 days ago and it is driving me nuts. Tried nasal rinse, hasn't helped any at all. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??? I am glad to know I'm not "crazy", but I hate it that there are others dealing with that nasty stench... its sickening.
|

replied June 5th, 2010
smell car exhaust
I am not a smoker nor have I ever smoked. I smell car exhaust all the time. It makes me cough, my throat burn, my head hurt, and it is very hard to breath. No one smells it but me. What is causing this? I can't stand it anymore.
|

replied June 9th, 2010
Smell exhaust
I am not a smoker but about 2 weeks ago I started smelling car exhaust. One night in my bedroom it was so bad I had to go out side but it was there also and going down the road the other day with no cars around me I think I went through a bank of it and it took about 3 miles before I got out of it. It is so bad. Like having your face next to a car tail pipe. I live in Central Texas.
|

replied February 25th, 2013
Could a non vented heater be causing this?
Do you have a natural gas heater that is not vented, the type that has a blue open indoor flame anywhere in your home?
|

replied March 23rd, 2013
horrible smell causing headaches
What about a lawn mower being in the back yard? Someone told me the smell of the fuel and fumes from it can go inside the house if it's close to the doors or windows. Or maybe it's from my father's car? I am a smoker for 2 years now but as there is proof that it's not just smokers who smell it, i'm wondering what the heck it is. It's been around for a week now and i'm running out of painkillers for my headaches. And my house doesn't run on gas for anything or any heaters and whatnot. So it's gotta be from something machanic....
|

replied March 23rd, 2013
I smelled car exhaust, it turned out to be mold
I suggest you consider mold. I smelled car exhaust in the home and the home tested to be mold. Over time, I came to realize that although it smells like car exhaust, I can now tell the subtle difference between mold, which smells like car exhaust once a person reaches a certain stage of poisoning, and actual car exhaust.

One may notice that the "car exhaust" smell changes in intensity as one moves through their home. This is likely due to blooms of mold spores.

I was shown the mold under a stereoscopic microscope.

I sought medical attention and moved out of the home staying at a friends which improved my health. The degradation to my health was slow and subtle. I didn't realize my deteriorating condition until I moved out of the environment.

Of course, each time I walked outside, I would breath deeply as if I had been oxygen deprived in the home.

Also, I read replies from medical doctors on forums stating when people smell car exhaust, in environments that do not have car exhaust, they should quickly pursue the possibility of mold, and mold is deadly.

I am not a doctor, nor do I know how to remove mold. I'm learning that stage now.

I wish you all well.
|
Quick Reply