Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

smell of vaginal discharge (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I have vaginal discharge and sometimes its heavy and sometimes its light. Some days there is a fishy odor and some days there is a weird metallic smell. What could this be? I have had a bacterial infection a few times before. The last exam I had they said the infection was gone. Help??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper crystal_ball18
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2008
Experienced User
it sounds to me like you're describing something perfectly normal. the fishy smell (as long as it's a very slight smell) just happens sometimes. the weird metallic smell is most likely iron and it is probably indicative of your period in some form or fashion.

unless these odors are unpleasant or strong, i don't think that they're anything to worry about. some days i have more discharge than others. it varies with where i am in my cycle. all pretty "normal" sounding...that is unless something you're experiencing has some extreme that you haven't mentioned (like a strong smell or something).

jasmine
|

replied October 12th, 2008
the smell is pretty strong... i mean I can smell it all the time. An I figure if I can smell it all the time other people can too. Right?
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2008
Experienced User
yes, you're correct. in my opinion, what is normal is having discharge that if you touch yourself with a finger, you can smell it on your finger. not strong, but you can definitely smell something (maybe a little fishy even).

but...if you can smell it and you're just hanging around with clothes on etc...yes, you definitely need to see a dr. and ask her for her opinion. unless you just have a very sensitive nose (and maybe you do), my guess is that something isn't quite right.

my b/f claims that my vagina has "NO SMELL". i think differently. it does have some smell (at least to me) and while sometimes i think it's a fishy smell, it's very weak, and it is more of a "mental" smell to me than it is a physiological smell (if that makes any sense).

good luck crystal...
jasmine
|

replied January 29th, 2009
I have this same issue.
Hey there CrystalBall,

I have been having the same exact issues you have described for about a year and in my case my boyfriend has made me aware that he's noticed as well. We are going to try non-latex condoms for a while to see if it's the latex. I had similar issues about 9 years back when I was new to intercourse and figured out that I was allergic to spermicide, which I then stopped using.
For about 1 1/2 years now, sex has been from time to time a bit painful for me. I saw a doctor about a year back due to this, but everything turned out to be fine down there. Aside from the pain I also have some burning during intercourse in the vaginal canal.
Anyhow, if it's not the latex, I suppose I will have to go to a new doctor.
Have you had any progress in figuring out what may be causing these issues for you yet? I am curious to know but only if you're still open to discussing these delicate matters.

Thankfully,
SadBedside
|

replied March 7th, 2009
im worried
well here's the thing, i had sex thursday and a day later i started to notice that i was dischargin an odd bt weak smelling secretion frm my vagina. its nt heavy bt rather present in small amounts. it happened 2 me once b4 wen i 1st started out n i used a condom then 2.n i treated it by way of insertion, with a mixture of peroxide n water 4 a week n it went away. i've been havin protected sex 4 3 months(once evry otha mnth e.g: 1 tyme in january n it wont happen agen until march) bt it jus happened recently wen i used a condom dis tyme however, da duration of sex was quite lng n dat mayb a factor. i'm worried dat dis cud b a result of an allergic reaction 2 condoms bcuz i wish nt 2 c a doctor about dis until im "off age". n if it is tank God ders non-latex condoms..maybe i'll give dem a try b4 i pull my hair out.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
in refer to above post
im replying because the above post, if you are not old enough to discuss Adult matters with decency and correct spelling, you certainly arent of age to be sexually active. Look up a dictionary and be respectful when you post on here, there are women looking for real answers, not the "slang" version of underage sex.
|
Users who thank momat29 for this post: LULZ  Brittyfriend 

replied April 3rd, 2011
response....
Maybe thats why this child came here for help. Stop putting her down because of the way she types. If you are not here to help then keep your mouth close and that is comming from one adult to who I think is another or at least wants to be
|

replied April 5th, 2012
white discharge
Ya. That is uncalled for ..how do you expect todays youth to respect when you can't give it in the first place shame on you
If this young lady needs a place to turn to for this type of advice better here in this discussion than here just as naive peers..I'm much more apalled by your response than her question..do you feel better than her ..ya your such a grown up..forum bully...
|

replied September 6th, 2012
are you serious with this? you have to be a troll. no one is this obnoxiously stupid.
|

replied August 21st, 2009
help:(
i have been feeling really itchie around my vagina and it smells really bad. it is hard to pick at it all the time when i have a problem. it smells like a fish whenever i smell it. every time i go to the doctor they tell me i had a yeast infection and i have been taking some pills but nothing seems to work. could this be tight clothing?? or something else?? it has also been red it hasnt gotten any better for me at all lately. another problem is my hair has been falling out, i think i might have arthiesis pain(which i dont know), dry mouth, eye vision is terrible but i wear glasses, my voice sounds like a hoarse or when my teacher says i speak monotone. oh yeah and i check to see that i have grey discharge around my legs. help plz?? Sad ps never had sex at all in my life.

i didnt mean to put red. i have also notice that my left ear has been beating. could this mean that im dying. Sad
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
Re: im worried
suseptiblebeauty wrote:
well here's the thing, i had sex thursday and a day later i started to notice that i was dischargin an odd bt weak smelling secretion frm my vagina. its nt heavy bt rather present in small amounts. it happened 2 me once b4 wen i 1st started out n i used a condom then 2.n i treated it by way of insertion, with a mixture of peroxide n water 4 a week n it went away. i've been havin protected sex 4 3 months(once evry otha mnth e.g: 1 tyme in january n it wont happen agen until march) bt it jus happened recently wen i used a condom dis tyme however, da duration of sex was quite lng n dat mayb a factor. i'm worried dat dis cud b a result of an allergic reaction 2 condoms bcuz i wish nt 2 c a doctor about dis until im "off age". n if it is tank God ders non-latex condoms..maybe i'll give dem a try b4 i pull my hair out.

really? It sounds to me like gonnaherpasyphalitis. Your really need to go to the doctor and get this checked pronto! Tell your mom what you have been doing and make her take you to the gynecologist as soon as possible. Using peroxide for anything is BAD. Hospitals don't even use it anymore unless they are treating gangrene then only in small amounts.
|

replied October 26th, 2011
Peroxide is a known carcinogen (cancer causing agent) and if used repeatedly can cause cancer of the mucous membrane. Also doesn't do anything for open wounds due to all of the bubbles preventing the peroxide from actually reaching the infection.
Learnt that in my Dental Assisting class.

23/f
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Similar problem
Hi. I am 15 and well about two months ago I get this strong fishy smell when I am just sitting down like in class, and well today the smell changed. Now I am nearing my period in about 3 days, but the smell has sort of a sweet(not the good sweet) and metallic. I have never smelled this before. I have only had sex twice with the boy(my ex) I am worried and do NOT wantto go to the obgyn and get scraped and stuff. Help?
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
You have to see your doctor. A fishy smell is caused by bacteria and it is important that it be treated. It is normally treated with antibiotics.
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Hello,
I have a quick question. Every time after i have sex whether it be oral or vaginal i seem to get a yeast infection if i don't take a shower immediately afterwards.
Sometime I get a yeast infection after taking a bath. I have been to the Gynecologist and everything is fine. I am just wondering if my vagina is extra sensitive or extra acidic or something. please help I have been wondering this for years but i am shy about things like this so any help would be great. Thank you
|

replied April 26th, 2011
@deelarea,
I wrote a blog about yeast infection. I use to suffer from them as well it is caused by a fungus call Candida. It can be very frustrating and painful too. I give my testimony on how I suffered and now free from this disease.www(dot)yeastinfectiontreatmenttip s(dot)net/wordpress
|

replied November 20th, 2009
BV info
I have the same issue with foul smell and dischagre about every 7 to 8 months, but this time around is seems like I am queefing alot when I sit or stand. Its kind of embarrassing... anyone else ever had this problem?

To the much younger women on here.... please see a doctor it could be much worse than just a bacterial infection, you may have an STD which can cause reproductive complications down the line.....

As for my question, please HELP!!!!!
|

replied March 4th, 2010
vaginal discharge and yeast infections
If you have a very sensitive nose u can usually pick up on the smell of your vagina when your sitting down with your clothes on. I happen to have a ridiculously sensitive nose and can usually pick up on the smell of my discharge/vagina. I especially notice is the days I don't shower (I shower ever other day). If your really concerned ask someone u trust if they smell something when they are sitting near you, if they can it might be time to check in with a doctor. Oh, and don't be embarrassed to talk to a doctor about any of it, doctors hear and see worse things on a daily basis. Believe me they are not phased by you talking about your vaginal problems, and they won't judge you or think about your vaginal problems and laugh later, they have WAY more things on their mind.

Also about yeast infections there are drugs on the market that can make you very easily prone to yeast infections. I know I took tetracycline for my acne and got yeast infections when I wouldn't wear cotton underwear for a day. Check they drugs your taking to see if some of the side effects might be yeast infections. I know it sounds weird that acne medicine would give me yeast infections, but it deals with bacteria and kills off the bacteria in your body both good and bad. It creates an imbalance in the bacteria levels in your vagina and allows the 'bad bacteria' (yeast infection) to multiply. Some health food stores claim to carry pro-biotics and other bacteria pills that can help reintroduce the good bacteria into your body. However may doctors would argue there is no proof these work ... just try different things to find what works for u!
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
i've had the same problem ever since i can remember after having my first daughter. i get this like witheich discharge which i can smell, the fishi like smell or metalic, sometimes its not that much but sometimes its really bad it feels like if i was in a heavy period and my underwear and sometimes pants get wet. i've noticed that my underwear has some like stains or discoloration where the discharge was. when i first noticed this problem the discharge was kind of greenish or yellowish and i asked the doctor and she took a look and told me that it was just because of to much sex or not enough sex, so after that when it happen i just figured it was becuse of that;now that im married i have noticed that when my husband is here,millitary and currently deployed, when we have sex i noticed the discharge does kind of decrease and when hes deployed it kind of increases. i believe it has a strong odor but then again everyone tells me i have a sensitive smell, but sometimes when i open my legs the smell comes out and i close them and then it goes away, back then i used to shower every other day like one day yes and the other no but now i shower every day and can still smell it not as strong but its still there. i really havent had an infection or anything of that extent,or that i know of, im turning 21 and really dont know much about female hygene or infections and dont really have that kind of relation with mom to ask. n one question, when the doctor does that scraping and stuff do they test for infections or do we have to ask them, sounds kind of stupid of my part but i just figured they did n since all my tests would come out good i really never bother to ask. i had my daughter really young, i've been dealing with this discharge for the past almost 6 years and have never been told nothing abnormal was going on down there, so now that i've read all this posts about being an infction or something like that im kinda worried that i really didnt take the time to really find out what was going on. i was told by another mom that the white discharge was like my hormones and that it was normal that all the moms had it, any info would be greatly appreciated thanks and good luck to all of u
|

replied March 6th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
pitbull_lover,

A discharge that smells fishy is normally a sign of bacterial vaginosis (BV). The smell is particularly noticeable around your period and after a man ejaculates inside you. It is not an STD and your partner is not causing it, although your chances greatly increase for BV after the 3rd partner that you allow to ejaculate inside you. It is still a big mystery why the bad bacteria inside your vagina will take over. Remember to wipe from the front to the back on the toilet, do not douche, keep scented soap and products away from your vulva and vagina and make your partner wear condoms to control it and minimize your chances of getting BV. BV should be treated by your doctor using antibiotics.

BV is hugely under-diagnosed and it is one of the most common infections in pregnant women (not because they are pregnant but that is normally when a doctor takes a good look at your genitals). If left untreated for a long ime it can increase your chances to get a real STD from your partner or it can cause problems when you get pregnant.

You also have a cervical mucus discharge as part of your normal monthly hormone cycle. After menstruation your vagina will go dry, then sticky, then creamy and then see through, wet and stretchy (fertile raw egg white like mucus). After ovulation it will go back to creamy, sticky and then dry. Your normal cervical mucus however should never smell bad.

Take care.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
susan862003,

thank u so much for ur response i now have an appointment on the 23rd of this month hopefully everything goes fine and i will keep u guys posted n hopefully my results can help someone.
|

replied March 15th, 2010
anyone who has a foul metalic or just plain weird smell , (not fishy, that is a bacterial infection) needs to go see your MD. I had that smell for 6 months and discarded as too much sex, or Im getting ready to start. Turns out had HSIL...or severe dysplasia. I am not trying to scare anyone, or saying that that is what you have,I am just saying to go get it checked out if it continues over and over for extended period of time.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2010
What do I do?
For years now I've had this strong smell in my vagina but I don;t know why. I had a yeast infection only once and I'm 15. This isn't something I want to tell my mom and we don't have a doctor at the moment either. I could tell my older sister who is 19, but she may laugh at me.....
|

replied June 4th, 2010
i had this too, but unlike you, my smell was because of lack of body hygene. i started washing up whenever possible and the smell went away. you could also try wipes. i know these wipes from always that are very usefull in smell and being clean (and theyre perfect for when youre on your pd.)
|