Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

smell of iron and taste of iron

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
For the passed 4-5 days, my mouth has tasted like Iron and my body smells just like iron, according to my wife. I don't take iron pills, or anything that has much of Iron. I only take Omega-3 pills twice a day, once when I wake up, and once before I go to bed. I'm a 21 year old Male. I don't know if the information I’m about to say will help, but maybe it will. I don't drink soda, only Ice Tea and 4 cups of milk a day. I don't eat any sugary candies, or chew gum. I don't smoke or take any drugs at all. I drink maybe twice a week, but it's only like 2-3 beers over a course of 3 hours. I eat somewhat healthy. I eat tons of vegetables and fruits. I eat maybe meat maybe 2-3 days a week. I don't know if any of this helps, but this whole thing is weird. Every time I breathe in, it kind of hurts, and it's really annoying, since everything taste like iron, especially the air. I work in a professional environment, so the smell of iron isn't too appealing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 5th, 2011
Have you been tested for Heamachromatosis
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|