Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

smell of cigarette smoke

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I thought I was crazy but after reading some of the other messages I realize this is a problem. I get this cigarette smoke smell sometimes for days at a time, it's allways very strong, to the point where I cough and sneeze and my eyes feel a burning sensation. I get this smell regardless of where I am, theatre, sleeping, anywhere. This has been bothering me for years and would like to find out from others suffering the same problem what could be causing it and is there any solutions. Thanks Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cosi
|

replied July 9th, 2008
Smell of Cigarette smoke and don't smoke
Well add me to the list on the cigarette smoke. It comes and goes and it is so strong it is like lighting a fresh cigarette. Not like second hand smoke or smoke on clothes. It seem deep in the nasal cavity. Mine has been happening for 7 months and it last for 5 mins and comes back every so often. Sometimes it is really strong that I can almost taste it. I am seeing a neurologist on the 25th of July. A little history on me: Ex smoker about 15 years ago and on metropol for high blood pressure, and my age is 43. Since this is happening for 7 months in Minnesota, we had snow, spring, and now summer, so elliminate pollen. I read in another fourm it is called phantosmia. After the doctors visit I will post more. Here is a link to Mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmi a/AN01684
The other forum is: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/505744
|

replied October 6th, 2009
I started suffering from phantosmia early this year. Initially, the smell of cigarette smoke was faint. Then when it came back the following month, it was with a vengeance. I could not sleep because the smell of smoke was giving me headaches and was drying my mouth. Nasal washes and dabbing tea tree oil provided only temporary relief. I also had a brain MRI which was negative. I tried them all. What we all have in common are allergies, sinus problems, possible depression, and yeast / fungal infections?

I did not want to take any more medication since they tend to only do harm, if not now, then eventually.
Something told me to deal with the depression first. I was not clinically depressed since I still functioned well at work.

I decided to try herbal supplements. I was going to take antidepressants only as a last recourse because its habit forming. I bought St. Johns Wort (herbal supplement alternative to antidepressant since it uplifts mood) and garlic supplements. Garlic is the best natural remedy available since it is antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal. I took the highest dosage of garlic available (odorless 1000 mg) and the highest dosage of St. Johns Wort (with "hypericin"). I did not notice any change in smell the first 3-4 days, and then the smell started getting fainter and fainter. About a week and a half later, the smell disappeared. It's now been three months and the phantom smell hasn't come back.

Try this over the counter remedy. I know the hellll that you are all going through and I just have to put in my two cents. The combination of St. Johns Wort and garlic helped me. give it a try!
|

replied November 15th, 2009
I have this same problem but have never been a smoker. Has anyone had an answer yet please.
|

replied January 13th, 2010
Breath smells like cigarettes and I dont smoke
I work with over 500 people which 90% are smokers.
I do not hang around any one who smokes the only time I've come close to anyone that smoke, is when I'm trying to walk by and they happend to be there smoking. I have became very sensitive to smoke: one thing that have effected me the most is when I get home in the end off the day my breath have this unberarable cigarets smells, along with all the stuffy nose and ichy eyes. to make it worts when I woke up the next morning I can literally stick my hands down my throat and pull out this white object that look like cottage cheese and smells like nicotine...have anyone experience this? if so any suggestions?
|

replied April 14th, 2010
Smelling cigarette Smoke
I am finding this interesting and helpful that others have experienced this smell of cigarettes in non smoking environments. Mine has been going for a little over two weeks now. I was afraid to mention anything at first to my physician because no one else around me was smelling the smoke. Someone even asked me if someone I was close to had recently passed away that smoked. Some days I don''t smell it at all and other days it may happen 4 to 5 times in one day. Sometimes its faint and other times its very strong. I work in a hospital setting and some friends of mine; an Neurodiagnostic tech and a nurse practitioner; brought to my attention the possibilities of seizures and suggested my physician order an EEG or CAT scan to rule this out. My physician is sending me to an ENT physician instead. I will post the results when I get them.
|

replied April 30th, 2010
non smoker affected by cigerette smell
Well I thought I was alone until I decided to check out what has been happening to me. I get sick if I have sex with someone who smokes. My boyfriend promised me had stopped smoking so I took the chance. I began to feel ill the next day. It began with nausea and I got severe headaches all the time. I suffered with headaches before this but the doctor said I had anxiety. I began having heart palpitations that went on all day. I would also get dizzy when the palpitations hit. Then came the smell and taste of cigerette, in my nasel cavity and also in my throat. I confronted my boyfriend because once the cigerette smell began I put two and two together. My boyfriend does not live with me and only visits two or three time per week. During the days when he does not have to see me he secretly smokes. He does not smoke in my home. No one else in my home has the cigerette smell problem.
Why is his smoking affecting me? It has been a ten days since my sexual encounter with him, but my health problems persist. I have never smoked and he is the second smoker I have been with. I also had health problems when I had a brief relationship with a smoker when I was in my early twenties.
I am in my mid forties and only now put two and two together. Can someone else smoking habits affect your health even if they do not smoke around you?
|

replied August 25th, 2010
How to rinse sinus
Ja mam to samo. smierdzi mi dym z papierosa a nie może. To chyba zapalenie zatoki czolowej albo szczekowej.Plucze zatoki woda i salt i pomaga. Jak bralem antybiotyk na co inne to przestal smell dym papierosa. Jak wyplukac i nie ide do doctor?
|

replied August 31st, 2010
Smelling smoke
I have had the smoke smell now for about a week since going to a meeting where the owner smoked. This is the first time this has happened to me. Used a congestion medicine and netty pot. No relief. Thank goodness I found others who have had the same problems. I guess it's off to the nose doctor.
|

replied October 24th, 2013
I smell like smoke
I just noticed that I started smelling like smoke yesterday. My husband even asked if I smoked a cig yesterday. I had broccoli for dinner last night and today. A few minutes after eating dinner today I noticed that I smelled like smoke again. I did a quick google and found the link below. It appears that some poeple who smell like smoke may have a enzyme disorder called trimethylaminuria.
|

replied February 7th, 2014
I too experience episodes of cigarette smells; going on four years now. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and wondered if it coincided with flare-ups. I'm not sure because it seems that I always have 1-3 joints inflamed at any given time. This episode has been horrible, the smell so strong that the inside of my nose is burning and my eyes watering. It's been 3 days of constant cigarette smell- I go to bed with it at night and wake up with it in the morning. It makes me nauseous! I have asked 3 of my doctors about it and they all look at me like I'm crazy! I'm so glad I found this site- I was beginning to think I WAS crazy! So glad I'm not the only one with a crazy smeller! I'll be seeing my Doctor soon to ask for a referral to a good ENT! I'm over this disgusting smell!
|

replied April 1st, 2014
Wow! I had no idea others suffered from this too! I've noticed the smell of cigarette smoke for several years now, off and on. At first just in my office, so I thought it was coming through the ventilation system. Now it happens in all kinds of places, even at home where it is totally smoke-free. I hate real cigarette smoke, since I grew up in a house where every adult was a chain-smoker. But that was decades ago! I've never smoked myself. I have no other health conditions, so I'll probably just deal with it. Would love to hear of any remedies, though!
|