Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Smell gas fumes

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
No matter where I am or go I smell strong fumes. No one else smells them just me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Turtle1221
|

replied June 4th, 2009
smelling gas fumes
I am having the same experience and I think I am going crazy...did anyone reply? I was wondering if it were spirits...my Dad recently died...I know you sometimes can smell something...does this make sense?

elsie
|

replied July 13th, 2009
I am having the same problem. Does anyone know the reason behind it. I hate the smell and it is rather annoying

Rick
|

replied August 10th, 2009
I had trigger point injections on Friday and that's when I started smelling fumes. They will NOT go away. This is day 4 and they are constant. Can someone HELP!

Diane
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
Okay someone help with this answer.... I thought I was going crazy I am having this same smell sensation. I hate it!

Cheryl
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Imaginary Fumes
Me to, I can't really say that it's Gas fumes, but I would definitely categorize it as some type of chemical fume. It makes me a little light headed and I want to vomit sometimes but I'm the only freaking person who smells it and it's every where I go. Who are you supposed to go to for this kind of thing? Ear/Nose doctor? Neurologist? Psychologist? Or how about an Exorcist....I'm desperate.
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Wow..It''s good to hear that I am not the only one, I thought I was going crazy. I am on day 2 of smelling fumes this is my 4th episode, each episode last for about 3-4 days. I have no idea what causes it but it literally make me sick. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
|

replied May 1st, 2010
Mine started last year in the summer when i had persistent diesal fumes smell on a campsite from a generator. Now i get this regularly in the summer whenever i am around roads/car fumes and it carrys on for days even when i am not exposed. Its driving me crazy.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
Sensation of smelling fumes
Same here. Comes and goes - a week or two at a time, then a few months without it, then another week or so of smelling fumes. Has been happening about three years. The first couple of times seem to have been triggered by strong smell of jet fuel at airport, which I then sensed I was continuing to smell for days after. More recently there has been no apparent trigger.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
Just found this article - may be helpful. The condition is called "phantosmia" and is apparently not all that rare.
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|

replied May 31st, 2012
I started smelling exhaust fumes about 4 months ago, it lasted several days than gone. It came back yesterday. I am concerned after reading all the articles. I also have tinnitus for over 30 yrs. Headaches two to three a week which I take OTC migraine medicine which increases the tinnitus. Post nasal drip in back of my throat quite frequently. I had a thyroidectomy 10 yrs ago for Hoshimotos with 3 large goiters. My concern is brain tumor. I did fall out of a window when I was 3 yr now 58yr. I suffered a concussion and facial contusions with a lot of orbital swelling..
|

replied December 17th, 2012
smell memory
Odor and taste can be a very powerful memory simulator.
sometimes just seeing something will bring back an odor or taste memory.
Once I was on a vacation trip and in the distance saw a municipal salt pile I could easily taste it without being anywhere near it.
in the case of fuel fumes,direct prolonged exposure makes make me violently ill.(can last two days)
Now all I need is a slight whiff of it and my memory takes over and multiplies it many times.
Unfortunately I am one of those people that has an extraordinary sense of smell.
When I was in my teens I had a terrible crush on a girl going to a local college.
when she walked in the front door at the gym I could distinguish her perfume from dozens of other girls that would come and go.
I would say Sara's here.
This from two floors up due to the updraft.
I convinced some friends that I had a psychic connection with her as they couldn't smell it.
I was right every time.
That was years ago and when I return to the same place I still remember the scent.
|

replied March 21st, 2014
I quit smoking cigarettes 6 months ago and my sense of smell began to get sharper. Three weeks ago, I began smelling exhaust fumes as if I was in a closed garage with a car running. I happened to tell my neighbor thinking there might be carbon monoxide coming up from the ground and he told me that he had the same problem. He told his doctor who responded that this was an environmental condition caused by fuel emissions that never really dissipate but are trapped in the Earth's atmosphere. At first I didn't believe it, but I started to read a few scientific studies and I was shocked just how rapidly the Earth's atmosphere deteriorated in the last 30 years. A newborn baby today has a totally different sense of smell than someone born in 1984.
|
Quick Reply