Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Small throbbing pain in chest a mono symptom?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
Hi I was told a few weeks ago ago I have a reactivation of mono/EBV and I'm experiencing many of the old symptoms again.I went in kind of early and the doctor did say it was miner according to his numbers.I've gotten worse almost like before but I dont remember having a small ache in my chest from time to time mainly in the center.About 3 weeks before starting my new job and working really hard the chest problem was there and a bit of shortness of breath.Then it felt like there was something in there at times probably swollen I felt.I haven't read many symptoms of people having problems in the chest with mono.I did have an ekg test that was fine also but I don't think it's my heart anyway.It doesn't feel like theirs something in there anymore but still throbs and is a bit sore.My necks a little swollen feeling,back of shoulders,brain fog,headaches working in the hot sun,hypoglycemia,muscle pain,fatigue,bleeding gums after I quit smoking about 7 months ago.I'm breathing ok.Chest throb?? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
Hey,

I have had this symptom too. But honestly, it was one of the more less bothersome symptoms so I didn't really focus on it. Now, I am not a doctor, but here is my theory... since mono is an illness of the lymphatics and causes enlarged and painful lymph nodes I believe the chest pain is from your mediastinal lymph nodes. In vet med we define the mediastinum as basically the space between the two lungs and all of the structures contained w/in it (Ie. the heart, its major blood vessels, etc). Now, anatomically things are a tad different in humans, but it is basically the same thing. In humans and animals this area is approx. underneath the sternum. There are lymph nodes w/in your mediastinum. My guess is that those lymph nodes may be inflamed/painful and giving you your chest pain. I am not sure about you, but much more than my cervical lymph nodes were sore, so I just assumed that to be the case. Now, I am young and don't have any heart problems to worry about so I didn't really ask my doctor. My fiance is a med student however, and he agreed that I probably was just feeling lymph node pain. You did have a EKG, which does help rule out major problems, and as long as you aren't having any other heart-related symptoms I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hope that helps, and feel better!
|

replied June 4th, 2011
Thanks for your reply vetstudent.I understand what your saying and that's what I've been wondering if it could be lymph nodes but mainly does feel like only one.I kind of thought maybe it could be my thymus gland maybe to but I don't know.It's let up a lot but today I was working + didn't get much sleep and had the brain fog and had to hang something heavy on a house which got my heart pumping.The shot of adrenalin from that got my heart pumping and woke me up for a brief time but fell back into the boring brain fog again with the throbbing soreness in my chest for about 15 minuets or so I guess from my blood pumping hard.I might go for a scan if it doesn't let up more but I think it will since it has a good bit already.I think the brain fog is the worst of it especially starting a new job trying to prove myself without looking dumb.I can deal with the different pains of it all but does anybody know whats good to combat that.Maybe a safe certain supplement that lacks when having this?B12 shot?I had one years ago when I went through this but I remember going to rent a movie and just feeling like a volcano ready to erupt,like energy trying to come out.Not sure if that was really safe.I could be wrong since I was really In bad shape before anyway. So a B12 shot help anybody out there in anyway?
|

replied June 5th, 2011
I say it is lymph nodes b/c your thymus undergoes a process called involution after puberty. Basically it shrinks and stops functioning. As for your lymph nodes, one may be enlarged moreso than others. For example, my right cervical lymph nodes were affected more than my left. Also, one of them could be putting pressure on a nerve, so you seem to feel one over the others. I wouldn't focus too much on the fact that you only feel what you think is one node. Pain is very complex, esp. things like referred or phantom pain. I would just make sure you don't have any heart symptoms along w/ it. I hope this helps a little. Also, I did some more research and some of the mono info web sites list chest pain as a less common symptom people experience.

As for the B12 shot... I can't help you there. I have no experience on that... but I can totally relate to the brain fog I have been a complete zombie for the past month and can't remember much from it.
|

replied June 8th, 2011
Yeah I pretty much think most of my lymph nodes in my body have had some pains at some time since this and now its back in the right side of my neck and shoulder area with small annoying pains that last 2 to 3 seconds at a time even when I'm trying to relax but does let up.Now my chest is really minimal right now.Sometimes I wonder if I have a different problem because one of the doctors checking the numbers said the numbers were low or some comparison of numbers he did.I believe he even said that I maybe shouldn't even be having any symptoms.Then another doctor on the phone said he thinks I have a reactivation and wanted me to come in right away and check me out more.Then he wasn't even there and they were wondering why I was back.I explained he wanted to check my spleen and double check my liver.First time one doc said liver was fine,one on the phone said their was a slight increase of something I guess is normal being sick especially with mono.The last doctor was pretty good and did say it could be mono symptoms anyway and gave me the simple directions to taking care of it.Thing I'm worried about is after the first time I had it but was not really diagnosed years ago with it and my best friend was sick too but they never used the word mono.I was in my 20s and it was really bad that time and the brain fog was almost always along with much more pain and fever.I don't think I completely recovered and would get a lot of head aches but this year I really cut on drinking and quit smoking and was doing great with less head aches and more sociable.Then it was like being struck by lightning again.I think my ex gave it back to me or something somehow.She just told me she found out she had Epsteinbar after being worn down all the time.But I know that doesn't really mean anything.I know I'm suppose to be immune to it now unless you have any immune disorders I've read.I do have a small case of cyrisus.I'm just a little worried those numbers for me were normal and I have some other infection in my body.Not sure what to be checked for really.My first test's were COMP METABOLIC PNL, CBC-W/DIFF,PLAT & INDICIES, T4-FREE,TSH, EBV TESTINGS AND CMV BLOOD TEST'S. AQnd my liver checked a second time a week later when I went back.Said I had the EBV and mono in the past and a reactivation.The one doctor told me he didn't believe in reactivation and I would have to come in contact with it again.I went to a clinic both times.THX vetstudent and I hope your doing better without the lame brain fog.
|

replied June 8th, 2011
I also have been diagnosed with Hypoglycemia many years ago when I was sick which probably makes symptoms worse or maybe makes me heal slower.
|

replied April 15th, 2012
FIXITRIGHT, did your symptoms go away? I have the same exact throbbing pain in my chest and it feels like something is in there! I was diagnosed with mono 1.5 months ago.
|