Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

small reddish bump on scrotum

Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
Hello,
I'm a 22 year old male that has only been sexually active with 1 other female my whole life. We hadn't had sex in well over a month when I noticed this. At the beginning of this month as I was shaving my pubic area as I usually do I noticed a small red bump on my scrotum. It appeared to be an ingrown hair or something of the sort and I tweezed a hair out of it. It's now almost 4 weeks later and the reddish bump is still there. It almost looks like a pimple but has no head, I've tried to gently squeeze it but doesn't seem like it will pop. It sometimes feels a little itchy but not most of the time. I haven't been freaked out about an STD since I hadn't been sexually active but it's still there almost a month later and I'm getting really worried. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? If it doesn't go away soon I'll take a trip to the nearest clinic (I have no insurance so I haven't rushed there)
Thank you very much in advance for any help possible.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2011
Experienced User
When spots, lumps or rashes appear on the penis or scrotum, men may worry that they have a sexually transmitted disease, but in most cases the concerning spots are both common and harmless. The size, shape and color of the spot may help determine whether there is something to be concerned about.
Multiple tiny nodules beneath the skin of the scrotum and at the base of the shaft of the penis are normal hair follicles. These nodules are all similar to each other in appearance.
Small dome-shaped or jagged bumps around the crown of the head (or glans) of the penis are probably pearly penile papules. They appear in about 10-20% of all men, and are likely more common in uncircumcised men than in circumcised men. Pearly penile papules (the medical name is "angiofibromas") are not infectious and require no treatment.
Small red or purple spots with a thick, warty surface are probably angiokertomas. They appear on the glans shaft or scrotum. Most often, they appear on the scrotum of elderly men, though they may be solitary and they may appear in young men. These spots -- know as angiokertomas of fordyce -- are not infectious and require no treatment.
A small, pea-sized nodule on the scrotum, sometimes filled with a cheesy or chalky material, is probably a cyst. Scrotal cysts may be solitary or multiple. They are not infectious and require no treatment. though some men may choose to have them surgically removed.
Red patches with a well defined border may indicate psoriasis. These patches may be scaly or smooth and may arise from the friction caused by masturbation or sexual intercourse. Typically, psoriasis of the penis responds to treatment with a steroid cream. Psoriasis is not infectious.
very small shiny pink bumps on the glans may be lichen planus. Sometimes the papules have find scales and sometimes they are smooth. They often appear in a ring or in a line. They may or may not be itchy. Similar lesions may appear on other areas of the body, especially the wrists and shins. Lichen planus is not infectious or harmful, but it does respond to medical treatment. Most cases self resolve within a year. Pink-brown or skin-colored bumps with a moist surface may be genital warts, which are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV). Genital wards may have a smooth surface or a surface with a cauliflower appear. They may appear anywhere on the male genitals, the thighs, the pubis (the area just above the base of the penile shaft) or the lower abdomen. Genital warts are the most common sexually transmitted disease. They require medical treatment because of their cancer-causing potential in women.
A single, round and painless ulcer of the penis or scrotum may indicate primary syphilis. The ulcer of primary syphilis typically self-resolves a few weeks after it appears. However, the disease persists in the bloodstream and may be passed on to a sexual partner. Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease requiring medical attention. It may cause serious complications if left untreated.
Please let me know if you require any further help

Colin
|
Did you find this post helpful?