Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Small-medium bites all over my body...

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
I started itching out of the blue while throwing in a load of laundry at the laundry mat. My head started itching first. My boyfriend drove us home and I then felt itchy on my back, so when I got into the house I took off all of my clothes and found 50-75 bites all over my body! They're on my face, my legs, my butt, my breasts, even on my head, face, and arms. The ones on my face are red and swollen while the ones on the rest of my body are mostly white. I have no idea what they are as they literally just appeared out of nowhere! A friend suggested and allergic reaction but I don't know what could of caused it, I didn't touch or drink anything different, like I said, this literally just happened to me an hour ago out of the blue. The ones on my face and head are the worst. They are red and swollen, one is even on my bottom lip making it swell. The ones on my head are quarter sized and they too are red, but the ones on the rest of my body are small and white in color. I don't think they're bed bugs or fleas because I didn't find any type of bug or insect anywhere! Can anyone help? What happened to me???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of the rashes appear to be due to Urticaria.

Urticaria also known as hives, are raised, often itchy, red welts appearing on the surface of the skin. They are usually an allergic reaction to food, pollen, insect bites, animal dander, dust, medicines, etc. Other factors which can trigger urticaria include emotional stress, extreme temperatures, sweating, or viral infections. Urticarial lesions may be uncomfortable, but they generally are harmless and disappear on their own.

Some measures that can help provide symptomatic relief include use of antiinflammatory medications (like advil or Motrin) and antihistamines like Benadryl and or hydrocortisone (1%) creams. You should avoid scratching yourself and apply ice packs instead.

In case you have severe intolerable symptoms like swelling of the lower face, neck, breathing difficulty, cough, chest pain, etc, it may indicate a anaphylactic reaction and you might need to consult your doctor for proper medical assistance and advice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.