Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

small lump above my shoulder blade..?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I am a 17 year old male, and about a month ago, I happened to notice a small lump right above my right shoulder blade. The lump is not on the shoulder blade, but kind of in the muscle above it, if that makes sense. So, being the worry-wart I am, i freaked out. I asked my mom to check it out and she didn't really know what it was, that everyone has lumps and to not worry about it. That wasn't the answer i was looking for.

So, i went to my grandmother's, who is a retired nurse, and she looked at it and felt it a bit, and also didn't know what it was, but it was kind of deep for a cyst. Not the answer I was looking for either. So, again, i panicked and asked for a doctor appointment.

I went to the family doctor and he looked at it. He didn't have any concern at first. Then he states that it doesn't feel like anything to worry about at all. He's dealt with plenty of this and it doesn't feel or look like cancer. But he sent me to a different doctor first off because i freaked out and knew if i didn't know an exact answer i would probably worry myself to death and secondly because it was a little deeper than most he's seen, and not the normal 'lump and bump' you see everyday. So, he sent me to a Orthopedic doctor who specialized in cancer and tumors. As you can imagine, i freaked.

So, i went to this cancer doctor and about had a heart attack waiting to get in. He felt around and didn't seem to have any concern at all. He measured it and it was only 1x1 cm, and he said he doesn't really worry too much unless they're about 5+ cm. It was very easy to move around and was sort of rubbery. He said he is sure it's not cancer, but just to ease my mind, he would set me up for an appointment for 3 months later. If it grew larger or started to hurt to the point it was restricting me, to come back. He also said there was no need for a biopsy because it would probably do more harm since it's nothing to worry about and a scan would be a waste of money because you would probably not be able to see it since it's so small. He said he is almost positive it is just a benign soft tissue nodule.

Call me crazy, but that still wasn't the answer i was looking for! I was still worried it could be cancer, and i still am. I don't know why, but i feel like i need a 100% answer telling me it is NOT cancer. It just bugs the hell out me daily. I am constantly thinking about it, rubbing it, checking to see if it's bigger, etc. Every little thing that i used to not notice like a headache or a slight pain..i think it's cancer. Why do i have to over-think things too much!?

I just don't know what to do. I've always had perfect health, and so has all of my family. Never any cancers or anything related. I feel like when i don't think about it, everything's fine, but the second i think about it or feel it, it is kind of sore or has gotten bigger, but i think it's all in my head. My mom said it hasn't grown at all. It's just a really scary thought!

Anyways, sorry for the long post..any suggestions or input on what you think it could possibly be would be nice. If anyone takes the time of day to actually read this, THANK YOU! It feels nice to vent this out giggle
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bbskater78
|

replied November 28th, 2011
please help guys, i'm really freaking out about this.. Sad
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Small Notes
bbskater78 - I read your post and can completely sympathize with your worry. I recently (1mos ago) felt 3-4 small nodes in my 17YO daughter's neck. Took her to our family doctor who ordered blood work. White blood cells low, lymphocytes high, monocytes high. After an antibiotic treatment and the second round blood test the results were lowers white blood, even higher lymphocytes and monocytes. Because I'm worried sick, I did not wait for my Primary care to refer us to an oncologist I simply made the appoint. Thank God for PPO insurance. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what it is in either of your cases, but keep asking questions until you are satisfied. But also try to keep things in perspective by being positive and DECIDING to not worry until you KNOW there is something to worry about. Good luck and good health to you hun!
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
You're right. I have been trying to keep positive lately, but with my anxiety, it isn't the easiest thing to do. I have another doctors appointment scheduled for next week, which hopefully will go well!

Everyone in my family and all of my friends think i'm over-reacting like always, but i would rather make sure it's fine like you said than do nothing about it! Thank you for your support though. Good luck with your daughter and everything you guys are going through. Also, i hope for good health to your daughter and your whole family as well! Thanks again!! Smile
|

replied July 12th, 2012
Curious if you found an answer?
Did you ever end up finding out what was going on? I only ask because I have a similar thing going on in the muscle around my left shoulder blade. This has been there for like 2 years at least, now and my back is always feeling tense. I went to the chiropractor and have had several massages, thinking that it was just a stubborn knot in my muscle but now I am not so sure. Was just searching around on google and found this comment and thought I'd check to see if you got the answer you were looking for. Thanks!
|

replied April 1st, 2013
did you find out what it is because I have the same thing it can cause me pain and head aches. I am going to the doctors some time this week I 14 going on 15 in a few months my parents don't know what it is and I would like to know
thanks!
|

replied February 8th, 2014
Nodule in Soft Tissue Above Shoulderblade
I found something like this on my 5 year old son. Any updates out there on what you found? I hope the best for all of you.
|