Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Small angiomyolipoma in the left kidney

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
My wife has been detected with a small angiomyolipoma in the left kidney measuring 7.0 x 4.3 mms on the lateral cortex of the left kidney.The cortiocomedullary differentiation is maintained.Please advice the course of treatment for a complete cure and how serious is this issue? She is 30 years old .
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Angiomyolipoma (AML) is a benign renal neoplasm composed of fat, vascular, and smooth muscle elements. 80% of such tumors are due to sporadic genetic mutations (Isolated AML).

Current management options include observation, embolization, and partial or total nephrectomy. Recommendations for treatment are usually based on the patient's symptoms or the size of the lesion.

Small asymptomatic lesions (< 4 cm) tend to remain asymptomatic, stable but should be periodically evaluated. They usually need no interventions.

Medium-sized lesions (4-8 cm) have the most variable behavior and have a less predictable natural history. These lesions are followed closely with serial imaging studies, and if significant changes in size or symptoms are noted, or risk for flank trauma is high, elective intervention is done.

Large asymptomatic angiomyolipomas (Tumors > 8 cm) will most likely become symptomatic and should be treated electively prior to the development of symptoms and potential complications.

Hence in your wife's case, the tumor appears to be a medium sized, and hence regular monitoring the growth of the tumor with a CT scan every 3-6 months.

Surgical removal might be sought, if the tumor enlarges more, causing any symptoms like pain or bleeding in the urine.

In case of any doubts, you may consult with your treating doctors who can provide more information and proper advice.

I hope this helps.
|
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: wisechild55 

replied October 4th, 2012
angiomyolipomas 11.5cm left kidney
Hi I have just found out I have one in meat kidney that measure 11.5 cm! Been feeling I'll for months. My previous kidney scan last year showed nothing shoul I be worried it has arrived and grown so fast?
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.