Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

slurred speech and shaking

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Im a 34 y/o female. On the 10th of may something strange happened to me. I was lying in bed and all of a sudden i felt strange. I got out of bed and I had this staggering walk..and my speech was either absent or slurred. I was at home of course...but my surroundings seemed unfamiliar. I was taken to the ER and all the lab work and CT came back normal. i was given medication for the jerking and sent home. Later that week I was hospitalized because I continued to have episodes of slurred speech...weakness in my legs. I had an MRI and it was normal. As of today, i continue to have these symptoms along woth other unexplained symptoms. They include...feeling like I'm floating at times, slurred speesch or unable to speak, shaking of hand or foot or both,strange smell (like something is burning), a chill sensation on the skin, a sudden overwhelmed feeling. Those are all I can point out at this time. Besides the fact that when these attacks are over, I'm really really tired..and have pain or weakness in my legs. Could this be some type of seizure?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Similar symptoms
Hi, my son has had epilepsy since he was 4 years old, just absence siezures; he is now 11. However he sometimes has episodes exactly as you have described, and the doctors cannot explain what it is. Even his neurologist has never heard of it before. He even described the burning smell and said that he can't seem to recognise anyone. He also said that afterwards he feels very tired, his arms feel wierd and parts of his body feel numb. I wish I could help you more, I know it must be scary, I'm still trying to find an answer myself. Please let us know if you come up with anything?
|

replied October 29th, 2008
I have the exact same thing,
I had a cold I was given sulfer drugs now I have slurred speech & weakness in my legs.Not sure if the sulfer drugs that were given to me was related or not.Keep me posted please.
|

replied January 26th, 2009
my mum body jerking
pls could some one help me my mum has had bodyjerking talking confuse body jumping mixed up feeling talking out load and does not know what she is saying been like this as she mixed 3 days off vallergan pills but been out system now for 7 days and doctors just put her on it
|

replied June 19th, 2010
I have these episodes all the time. this has spanned out over an 8 month period for me. i have intamitant slurred speech, my legs go all woobley and i can only f=drag my feet to walk, im having strange feelings in my legs and now i am getting them in my arms, it can only be described as the starting of and injection to numb you. i am desperatley trying to find out whats wrong with me, and find it comforting that there are people with similar experiences. any advice or help to what this could be would be greatly appretiated, i have been told that it could be symptoms of extreme stress and trauma.
|