Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

sleeping with the tv on ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
i now have to have the tv on because i got a anxiety problem so the tv takes stuff off my mind a Rolling Eyes nybody going threw the same here?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile tryin2hard
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, before they put the screen saver back up, on cable down here we have like 20 music channels or more. I use to sleep with "Soundscapes". But, it would be like leaving your computer screen on now on with your photo scroller on. I miss it I really do.
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
you know
you know what's funny about this... before my anxiety started in february, i could never ever sleep with the TV on, ever. It had to be off, always and forever. I absolutely hated it..

But now.. I CAN'T SLEEP WITHOUT IT ON1!!!!
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Tv works for us as kind of a night time companion. So it don't fee; sp darl and lonely. Others are afraaid of bruglers like me and if they hear sound, they may stay away. Now I have ADT so I feel alot safer then I have. But, the one minute response time between the time the alarm goes off tell the time they call me to find out if I am alright and then call whoever. My God! I could be dead.
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i cant go to sleep without the tv on...my rents get upset that i leave it on all night so I try to turn it off as i'm drifting off but I prefer to leave it on...though i'm told you get much better sleep when there are no distractions such as light and sound
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2008
Supporter
I used to always sleep at night with the tv on. I don't anymore cos my partner is next to me at nights now But i still leave a light on lately. I wouldn't worry about it though.
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2008
I usually have an easier time sleeping with it on, if it's not then I tend to sleep light and any little noise (cars driving by, house settling, etc) wakes me up. With the TV on it seems to desensitize me to noise.
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2008
Experienced User
I sleep with the tv on too. I put it to the video output thingy where the screen just stays blue, and there's no sound. It's just enough light to feel comfortable with and there's no abrupt sound to wake me up. I also put it on sleep so I won't waste electricty or run up the energy bill. I also have to sleep with a fan on, for some noise. It blocks out the creaks and groans of the house, and the outside noise as well as my boyfriend getting up early in the morning.

Do what works for you. Although I have heard many studies that sleeping with the tv on can disrupt your sleeping habits. Like all of the flashing as the pictures change, and the noise. That's why I sleep with it the way I do.
|

replied October 4th, 2009
Yep. I sleep with TV and lamp on in my bedroom. I've been so stressed for the past 3 years and not so alone sleeping this way. I've even developed a lump under my chin due to anxiety and stress.

It's a very real deal!
|

replied March 18th, 2011
ya i sleep with the television on, i am so paranoid so any noise freaks me out and make me nervous and worried that something gonna come it and kill me and i can't get to sleep. The TV instantly soothes me. I always were a mask so i block out the light, for me it's the sound that I need, to block out any other sounds (whether their real or just in my head). If I'm with somebody else when I'm sleeping I'm fine, but I can't sleep without it when I'm alone!
|

replied May 27th, 2012
best night of sleep with the tv on!
oh my goodness! before i could not sleep with any lights on! just a few days ago i got super stressed out because i have a fear of giant water bugs or big ass roaches with wings! woke up one night and saw the damn thing right next to me!!

I've been soo stressed out even started having anxiety attacks because of it! i was watching wrestling and forgot to turn the computer off and all of a sudden i got the best sleep of my life just leaving something on like a movie or tv show playing on my computer!

Still hate the big ass roaches with wings though... now i sleep with roach spray next to me:(
|