Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Sleeping positions with TMJ ?

User Profile
Hi, I have had TMJ knowingly since 6 years old after an ear infection that took a while to heal.

My question is, for as far back as I can remember, I CANNOT lie or sleep on the right side of my head or on my back. I must always sleep on my stomach with my head on its left side. When I lie any differently, ESPECIALLY with my head on its right side, there is this nagging feeling that I can only describe as a weight in the left side of my head where the TMJ gives me problems that makes it feel as though I MUST sleep on that side. It is not pain, but the feeling is so overwhelming that I must obey it. It almost feels as if there is liquid or something of weight on my left side and it is so unbearable for me to lie any other way. I have mild scoliosis and my chiropractor is urging me to stop sleeping this way but I cannot! Please tell me what you think this is caused by, and what I can/should do about it. Is it my TMJ causing this? Or something else? Thank you so much.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2010
TMJ Answer A11671
Thank you for your question.

You have described a classic TMJ/craniofacial senerio involving a childhood injury that has persisted for 16 years.

Schedule a complete TMJ/craniofacial examination with a dentist who is qualified and experenced in treation long term disfunction such you currently describe.

Dr. Paul Wira

Specializing in facial injuries and pain, corrective jaw surgery, wisdom tooth removal, dental implants, bone grafting, and TMJ
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.