Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleeping 16 hours daily !

User Profile
Just recently I been sleeping 16 hours or more. I wake up and go to work. And come home and sleep another 16 hours more. It's been going on for two weeks. I work 5 days a week, night shift. I have not seen my boyfriend cause I'm sleeping or had not had sex for two weeks. It's really effecting my relationship and NO i don't live with him which makes thing worse. All I been drinking is Cranberry juice and eggs. I don't any junk food. And I don't eat anything at work except Cranberry Juice. When I'm off of work, I sleep and sleep. I'll wake up for an hour and make two eggs and drink a cup of Cran Juice and fall back to sleep. But I notice some changes in my weight. I lost about 5lbs, and I'm not has hungrey anymore. I don't have any energy, not even for sex and that's not like me. I feel like all I want to do is sleep and sleep. I never seen the light of day only in the mornings, and when I wake up it's dark. I feel like I'm sleeping my life away. Please help me. Is this normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RobertW900
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2009
Experienced User
ummmmmmmmm. i been sleeping like all day now. Do you guys think i need help. its been three weeks!!!!!! omg, i want my life back.
|

Me to
I usually sleep about 14 hour day period.
Your probably backed up have you gone number 2 at all.That was my problem and now I'm waking up earlier.
|

Night Job
How long have you been working nights, and is it just three weeks ago you've had this sleep pattern change, or have you always had sleep issues?

Are you depressed? Do you feel kinda anxious about your future? Are you worried about where your life is going to go? I'm guessing your 19, and living at home while working, so is it safe to assume you're not in college and haven't been to school lately?

I went through a period where I slept all night and day, rolled out of bed for a couple hours to eat something and then go back to bed. I was pretty depressed and I had nothing to do and no where to go. I was unemployed, had no school, and was living in my father's basement. The work I did do, when I got an assignment, usually got done at night. When I had been working, I was working night jobs as well, so after losing my job I was still on that night schedule. Because of that, it was easy to sleep through the day and since I didn't have anything to do, I just didn't get out of bed.

It isn't normal, but it is something you can change if you are motivated and concerned enough to do it. I saw a show on History channel that talked about how people are hard wired to be active during the day and sleep at night, and when you mess with your schedule, it messes up your body chemistry. If you want to get back to having a life and not sleeping all the time, just force yourself to stay awake. Clearly, you can stay awake long enough to work so you aren't broken.

After work, don't go home. Go out somewhere. If you get off late enough, it should be getting light out when you get out so go have breakfast or hang out at a Diner or Coffee Shop, like Starbucks. If you get out of work at some weird hour, but its still light out right before you get into work, then force yourself to get up early and go hang out at a cafe or go to the movies or a bar or club or a book store or whatever. Just make sure you're out doing something so you get to see the sun and other people at least for a little while. That's what I did.

It was hard for me to break my sleeping habits, but I did it. However, if you can't just force yourself to do it, then you should go to the doctor and you should get real medical advice. Try and see what you can do for yourself, but if you can't even stay awake and be alert at work, you might have something seriously wrong with you. Seek help!
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Re: Me to
elisabeth wrote:
I usually sleep about 14 hour day period.
Your probably backed up have you gone number 2 at all.That was my problem and now I'm waking up earlier.

lol i went to nursing school and talked about all that lol and know it very important to poop. i poop everyday, if not ill make myself. lol hehe
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Sleeping Beauty
I don't work, I'm home all day. I had 11 hours of sleep last night and a five hour nap. I can't stand to sleep like this. Sleeping pills keep me up!!!!
|

replied August 30th, 2012
I sleep 16 hours a day in period of two weeks this month and i put on weight lately please can someone give me help on this I am trying to figure out what its wrong with me

help needed Macedonia
|

replied September 10th, 2012
go to your doctor and tell the situations
i thing you need some cns stimulent to take and also need to be comitted to change your life style and .......
|