Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

sleep paralysis while still awake?

User Profile
In the last week or so I have been noticing something odd when I am trying to get to sleep.

Just as I am laying in bed trying to get to sleep I get a weird feeling build up in my stomach, feels kind of like indigestion. This gets worse then it peaks with a bizarre sensation, like a flash in my mind and I cant move or speak. I can hear my girlfriend in the bed next to me either snoring or sometimes reading but I cant move anything but my eye lids. I lay there with my eyes open and cant do anything.

Its lasts only for a minute then is gone. I notice this anywhere from 1 to 3 times a night and its been every night in the last 10 days. Before that I have never experienced it before.

I have been diagnosed with a cranial fossa arachnoid cyst about 10 years ago and am on morphine medication for a spinal injury and from that have never been a good sleeper. I average 4-6 hours a night but it is always very light sleep and wake easily.

What can I do?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2011
Sleep Disorders Answer A22772
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description given it is difficult to make a diagnosis online.

You might benefit by consulting your doctor for a physical examination and if needed a sleep study or a MRI BRAIN, can be done for a proper diagnosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.