Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleep paralysis??

This morning when waking I had the most terrifying experience I've ever had in my life. I thought I could hear the doorbell going off except it was really, really loud and it was being pressed really fast, as if someone was desperate for me to open the door but when i tried to open my eyes I actually couldn't. I could feel my eyes really hurting and I couldnt open them at all and when I tried to get out of bed I realised I couldn't move any muscle at all. Feeling very afraid I layed there listening to see if the person would ring the doorbell again. Sure enough it went off again really loudly but I still couldn't move. I then heard someone open the door and walk up the stairs and into my room dragging their feet but I still couldn't move. I then felt them climb into bed next to me and for ages they laid next to me and I could actually feel them breathing down my neck. They then started whispering into my ear.

It was so scary and it seemed to last more than just a few minutes. It was absolutely horrible and when I finally got out of bed every muscle in my body felt really weak, and my legs were shakey like they wanted to give way, and I was so spooked I actually checked the whole house to see if someone was actually there. I've never had this happen before and I'm terrified of it happening again. Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them? And does anyone know how to stop it happening again?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Sleep paralysis
Hello, don;t worry i am 19 years old right now and i have had that roblem since i was like 15 or something i had it hapen to me so many times i have lost count and i have to agree with you it is sooooooo scary and i am usually woken up by my dad trying to shake me up and i start crying because of the shock of it all although i am 19! when this happens i cannot talk although i want to i cannot open my mouth move anything and i have that horrible feeling i am gonna be trapped like that in my sleep for the rest of my life if i dont get up and soo i usually wake u screaming and crying then i do not wanna go back to bed anymore. However, to relieve you from this worrying i can tell you that it is 100 percent normal and its common aswell. The things you could try to not get it again are just probably trying relaxation techniques before you go to bed just to calm you down and stuff but i dont think there is anything else you can do. Ive read a lot about this subject so be rest assured when i tell you it is absoloutely normal. Smile Happy Sleeping!
|

replied January 31st, 2012
My Sleep Paralysis (SP) consists of me "waking up" to find someone in my room (man, monster, whatever). I can see everything as it should be, except he is there, standing over me. I know I'm still asleep because I cannot move or speak and I know I need to wake up or I will be killed. I try & try to move, but can't, so I start screaming. I scream forever but nothing happens. Sometimes, I will wake up and get out of bed, only to have another episode and find myself waking up still in bed! I have had this since I was a child and nothing seems to have helped much. The severity changes, of course, but I still have regular episodes. I was put on Prazosin and it has reduced the amount from nearly every night to an average of say 1 night a week. Those nights, I have them all night long. I take sleeping medication because I would go several days without sleep, fearing a recurrence. So now, I sleep every night, but when I do have an episode, I am too sedated to actually be able to get up and out of bed to stop the cycle. So, I'm in for a long, tormented night. And this, once a week, a minimum of 5 or 6 times a night. Sometimes, I wake myself up, or think I do, or my husband does. He says it's like when you see a dog dreaming, and he knows I'm in trouble. Unfortunatly, because of my sleep meds, I fall right back to sleep and right back into my torment. I have tried fighting, accepting, praying, rebuking, bargaining and ignoring the intruder, all to no avail. I have even bolted upright screaming, I rebuke you in Jesus' name! I woke up, but what I went thru to get there was hell, literally.
But, let me share what brought me to this website. A week ago, the "thing" in my room actually got on top of me, held me down with his body, and raped me. It was as real as real could get. I felt everything. I was thinking, "This is really happening! I'm being raped!" I fought for my life but lost. Then, I woke up, wide awake! I was shocked. I totally thought it was real! Of course, I was relieved, but I was also completely traumatized. I felt scared, angry, sad, disgusted...violated. Fortunately, nothing happened the next couple nights, but then, it started all over. This time, my husband woke me up and I could still feel the attacker's body on me, every muscle, everything, after completely awake. I could not go back to sleep. That was Saturday. Sunday, I was a wreck, crying all day. I watched the clock, dreading bedtime. I didn't take my sleeping med because I didn't want to sleep. Finally passed out around 4 am and it started right away. I must have had a dozen attacks in the 4 hours I slept. Now, Monday, it's already 11 pm and I'm a total basket case. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO SLEEP BUT I AM SO EXHAUSTED. Soon, everyone will be asleep and I will be alone again. God help me...
|

Sleep Paralysis
My Sleep Paralysis (SP) consists of me "waking up" to find someone in my room (man, monster, whatever). I can see everything as it should be, except he is there, standing over me. I know I'm still asleep because I cannot move or speak and I know I need to wake up or I will be killed. I try & try to move, but can't, so I start screaming. I scream forever but nothing happens. Sometimes, I will wake up and get out of bed, only to have another episode and find myself waking up still in bed! I have had this since I was a child and nothing seems to have helped much. The severity changes, of course, but I still have regular episodes. I was put on Prazosin and it has reduced the amount from nearly every night to an average of say 1 night a week. Those nights, I have them all night long. I take sleeping medication because I would go several days without sleep, fearing a recurrence. So now, I sleep every night, but when I do have an episode, I am too sedated to actually be able to get up and out of bed to stop the cycle. So, I'm in for a long, tormented night. And this, once a week, a minimum of 5 or 6 times a night. Sometimes, I wake myself up, or think I do, or my husband does. He says it's like when you see a dog dreaming, and he knows I'm in trouble. Unfortunatly, because of my sleep meds, I fall right back to sleep and right back into my torment. I have tried fighting, accepting, praying, rebuking, bargaining and ignoring the intruder, all to no avail. I have even bolted upright screaming, I rebuke you in Jesus' name! I woke up, but what I went thru to get there was hell, literally.
But, let me share what brought me to this website. A week ago, the "thing" in my room actually got on top of me, held me down with his body, and raped me. It was as real as real could get. I felt everything. I was thinking, "This is really happening! I'm being raped!" I fought for my life but lost. Then, I woke up, wide awake! I was shocked. I totally thought it was real! Of course, I was relieved, but I was also completely traumatized. I felt scared, angry, sad, disgusted...violated. Fortunately, nothing happened the next couple nights, but then, it started all over. This time, my husband woke me up and I could still feel the attacker's body on me, every muscle, everything, after completely awake. I could not go back to sleep. That was Saturday. Sunday, I was a wreck, crying all day. I watched the clock, dreading bedtime. I didn't take my sleeping med because I didn't want to sleep. Finally passed out around 4 am and it started right away. I must have had a dozen attacks in the 4 hours I slept. Now, Monday, it's already 11 pm and I'm a total basket case. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO SLEEP BUT I AM SO EXHAUSTED. Soon, everyone will be asleep and I will be alone again. God help me..
|

PS, I fell asleep on the couch and a sound woke me from outside. I looked and saw a man's shadow on our deck, approaching the sliding glass door. I carefully picked up my phone and called 911. When I said I thought someone was on our deck, the operator said she couldn't send someone just because I "thought" someone was out there. So, I put down the phone and rolled off the couch onto the ground and crawled over to the kitchen and definately saw a man looking into a window! I crawled back to the phone and whispered that he was definatly out there! Just then, he looked into the glass door where I was laying and put his hand on the handle! I was terrified, telling her he was looking at me and opening the door! Just then, my teenage son appeared over me, looking concerned and asking what was wrong. I turned back to the door and the man was gone and it was light out! I had the phone in my hand but it was off and I was soaking wet. My son said that he had been standing there for a while, not knowing what to do because I was obviously scared but that my eyes were wide open, rolled back in my head and darting all over the place! Poor kid was scared to death and so was I. BTW, we have very protective dogs that were very much napping thru this so there absolutely was never anyone out there. I flippin hate this!!!
|

replied April 10th, 2012
SP Sufferer - Something to think about.

I guess I will start by saying that being open-minded isn't something you can learn or teach, it is a natural attribute, it is something physical, the way some people's brains are wired, some people just naturally have an open mind. I wanted to just mention that, as it will be the most relevant point of what I am about to discuss. I use the phrase 'open-minded' as most people understand it when explained that way, although I believe it goes much deeper than that, is more complex and a whole topic in itself.

Before I reach the main subject of this article I would like to lay a little more groundwork. I would like to remind people that society and science once taught that the earth was flat and the centre of the universe and also, up until very recently, most people thought that we were the only life in the universe. Today of course we know very well that the earth couldn't be any less flat or centre of the universe and that it is probable that the universe is teeming with life.

All of these things became acceptable through the introduction of new information that helped people understand. For example gravity was the missing link in our understanding and acceptance of a spherical earth. It is important to realise that still today there is much we do not know or understand about the universe. History tells us that just because current knowledge cannot explain or verify something it doesn't mean it is not true. Here is where an open-mind begins to excel, as the open-mind is aware of the answer, it just doesn't have the scientific proof yet.

Ok now that I have laid a little groundwork and got your neurons twitching I shall proceed. All of my research has lead me to the conclusion that the energy of this universe has a frequency, well actually anyone interested in quantum physics would have got that far, but I am sure that this universe is just one frequency of many in the universe, that each dimension is thus because of it's own frequency set vastly different from one another such that they are not aware of each other even though they may share the same virtual space. It is easy to think of radio stations or TV channels only in this case it is the frequency of matter / energy.

Now, we know life on this planet, how diverse and adapted it is. There is life in the coldest parts, the hottest parts and the deepest parts and, as mentioned before, it would probably be a safe bet to say the same could be said for many planets in this universe. When baring all of the above in mind, is it so crazy to think that life could also exist in these other dimensions?

The reason I have lead you as I have to this point is because now I want to mention sleep paralysis (SP) and it's tendency to affect the more open-minded of us, a common theme I soon begun to notice after talking with many people from all over Europe who had experienced the dreadful SP phenomenon.
We know there are worlds that support life and that have everything life needs to flourish and do so comfortably, we know this because we live on one of them, so we can count this one. Now lets say some lucky astrophysicist discovers another earth somewhere, we would then know of two worlds that support life. We would also know they are extremely far apart and that the bit in between is a void, empty, vacuum of nothing. I believe that dimensions can be explained much like this; two worlds extremely far apart, although in frequency not physical distance. More to my point that there is a gap between them, a dimensional equivalent of space, a void, a vacuum completely cut off from it's neighbouring energetic dimensions. This is the place where I believe the perpetrators of the sleep paralysis attacks are from.

-1-

I believe that any kind of interaction between two dimensions would be highly unlikely if at all possible due to the vast distance / frequency difference. However, this gap between dimensions that I speak of is not so far. I think this is the start of how it is possible for these entities to make short visits at particular opportunities. I will just mention again that this void is completely disconnected from the energy of the universe that we all take for granted, or never even notice, and that this is the reason for the SP attacks.

These entities need energy to sustain themselves and if any of you have had SP you will know how drained / heavy / tired you feel suddenly during the attack. It is a particular type of energy that these entities require, the low, dense, slow vibrational energy of fear; therefore, victims of a SP attack will be induced to feel fear. My main point and the reason I mentioned the open-minded trait being a physical, hard-wired attribute of the brain is that I believe the clue as to how these entities access this dimension and why some people have SP and some people don't lies here.

I have suffered with SP for 24 years and throughout that time I have made many observations, but the one observation that really got my attention was when, about 2 years ago, I started talking with people from all over Europe as well as the UK and I realised that every single person seemed to have one thing in common, they were all open-minded people. Without going through the hours of conversation through which I reached that undoubted conclusion, it would be easier for me to say that the people I spoke to always appeared to be people who are willing to discuss the possibility that the earth is not flat. I realised that it couldn't be a coincidence, so this lead me to start looking at the brain.

The brain functions in two halves, left and right. The left deals with cold hard logic, facts, figures, numbers, (and dare I say masking the illusion of the universe making it seem more 'real'). The right side of the brain is more creative, more intuited, more spiritual and wiser. This is where I have to say that I am sure that we humans in our true form are not human at all, that we are pure eternal consciousness and that our consciousness is not native to this universe and that it is our human bodies that allow us to be here a bit like an interdimensional space suit each one tailored for each persons needs via it's DNA. Your true higher self, your consciousness is infinite, all wise, all knowing. It knows everything everywhere all at the same time but whilst you inhabit your human body this is not so, as at this point you become Mr smith or Mrs Jones and Mr Smith and Mrs Jones's brains have no recollections or direct connection of your true higher self, so as far as you are aware at the time you really are that person until all is revealed one day at that time we call death.

But there is a window inside the brain, which allows some of that higher self to shine through. It is a part of the right brain and is something that is hard-wired and is not something to be taught or learnt. Just as someone with a great left brain may be great at maths, because to them the numbers and sums appear so clear and obvious, their brilliance at maths is a gift, a talent due to the wiring of the brain. These people also, in almost all cases, will be what you may call closed mined people, the flat earth teachers and believers. It is almost as if where the left brain excels the right brain is more closed. For people of a very right brain nature they too see things so clearly but not with numbers. Instead these people just know that the earth is not flat. What I am saying is that right brain people are what we call 'open-minded' people.

-2-

I believe, through my studies and observations, that the open window that lets a little of that all knowing consciousness shine through to create the open-minded person is also the spiritual opening used by the SP entities and thus the link between SP and open-minded people. It is something I hope readers will keep in mind for the future, as now you are aware I'm sure you will see it also.

I am positive that anyone who has had or has recurring SP or even only the odd random attack will be far more open to discuss topics such as world conspiracies and conspiracy theories and have views that challenge the status quo. You may even find when talking to people about conspiracies or other equivalent subjects that require an open mind you discover that they have had SP and perhaps never even knew that's what it was. I at least can say that both of the above seem to be almost always true, although it is important to say that not everyone with an open-mind will experience SP.

I like to think that the people reading this will understand that perhaps I am trying to talk about a round earth when current science only supports evidence of a flat one. I have not touched upon the various medical views of SP, as I personally feel that it has no relevance at all and fails to address the most common aspects of SP with any explanation that could be regarded as logical. I really believe that the paranormal explanation has the correct direction, only we lack the scientific advances and understanding of the universe to take it out of the paranormal category.
I would like to finish by saying, as a person who suffers from extreme recurring SP, I truly sympathise with anyone who has as much as one SP attack and I truly hope that the greatest of the open-minds out there will pave the way to a future where it is fully understood and that any future treatments are in context with the problem.
|