Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleep paralysis & Hallucinations

I am 37 years old female and have suffered with sleep problems all my life and only recently discovered from the web what I have been experiencing.

Since as far back as I can remember I suffer Nightmares,Night terrors, hypnagogic & hypnopompic hallucinations and Sleep paralysis

I never seem to go into a deep sleep and because of this wake several times during the night which in turn cause me to dream a lot during the night.I don't know what to do, I don't want to take sleeping tablets as I don't think they will help the problem. I am on medication for depression for about 18yrs now but have suffered these sleep problems since I was about 3yrs old.

Is it strange to suffer all of these sleep problems? When I am dreaming I always seem to be aware that i am dreaming and can control my dreams to a degree also but the night terrors and sleep paralysis and hallucinations seem to be getting worse again. Can anyone advise me on what to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2010
Experienced User
Do these depression pills help you fall asleep? Maybe it is the pill that causes you to sleep lightly. Ever try anything else? I once took a combo of Celaxa and busbar and slept very heavy for a while. Maybe its time to switch up or try an anxiey pill which will cause you to sleep deeper. I have had sleep paralysis was well before, its freaky not being able to move or talk. Its only happened to me three times though...Good luck!
|

replied January 24th, 2010
i feel for you but you're the first person who has my experiences that i am sharing with. im 51 and am finally booked into a sleep disorders clinic as a last attempt to get help though im not holding my breath anymore to be understood. there is a name for what we are experiencing and you may want to research them if only to not feel so alone and that it is all very real. i too have been like this forever and is getting or is totally unbearable now no doubt due to age and therefore not having the mental and physical energy to deal with any longer. any how you can look up incubus attacks, narcolepsy and i think the other one is spelt cataplexy. hope it helps and maybe you might be able to share some more of the details of your own experiences. mine are terrifying and i actually have just gotten up after being in a semi conscious state and it still gives me anxiety everytime and it makes me feel so very alone and misunderstood. the incubus attacks are where i am paralysed and want to get up so much and sometimes am convinced there is someone in the room, an evil sense and it terrifies me. i average 3-4 hours of sleep and thats only because of medication. hope im accepted on this site cause i really need some support that i no i can only get from others experiencing smilar symptoms. thanku
|

replied January 29th, 2010
i have put up a post on this forum under sleep paralysis

http://ehealthforum.com/health/sleep-paral ysis-hallucinations-t162805.html

I have been suffering from this for around 12 years (I am 48 ) and have also never shared this on a forum until now. The reason is that last night for around 90 minutes i went in and out of this paralyzed state of consciousness. It terrifies me every single time it happens, and as i get older it seems to be more frequent and more intense. I dread going to bed every night for fear of these episodes.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
sleep paralysis
when i go to sleep i start shaking reel bad . because im awake and i cant move .so i try to shake myself out of it when it starts happening. cares me so bad i only sleep about 3 to 4 hours
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
it is a little comforting to see that i am not alone in this. my friends and family are unable to be sympathetic as they dont understand what i am going through, even though i have tried to explain it to them. Looking back, I now realise that I have suffered from similar things from a child. I remember cosntantly having the most terrifying dreams and "seeing things" in my room at night. I slept with the light on for many many many years. I was also, and still am but not so often now, a sleep walker. I would wake up in all sorts of places. Woke in the wardrobe one night with the doors shut, was absolutely terrified.
I hope more people post their experiences on this site. Maybe some day, doctors will take it all on board and help find a cure.
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
I didn't think nobody would understand. When I try to tell my family I think they think I'm crazy. When it first happen I was laying on the couch for about ten minutes and I could hear everybody in the livingroom and couldn't get up. For awhile I had my roomate wake me up so I know I would get up. But now I feel like something realy bad is trying to take over my body and I can try real hard and shake my self out of it if I catch before I'm all the way asleep. But I feel like nobody understand what I'm talking about . I hope there is something out there to help at this point I will try anything. Because I barely sleep and my body can't take with no sleep
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
Well, hopefully it helps knowing you are not alone. When i have an episode I can also hear everybody talking around me, I am fully aware of everything thats going on I just cant move at all. I try so hard to yell out to my husband, and in my own mind I think I am screaming out help. He tells me all he sometimes hears is me making strange noises with my mouth shut, so I am not even able to open my mouth. The first time it happened I thought i was having a stroke or something.
I did to to a neurologist many years ago regarding migraines. I told him about these episodes and he told me it was Sleep Paralysis. I should have taken it further with him but I figured if it didnt stop my gp would be able to help me. He just told me i was going crazy and dreaming.
I will continue to surf the net until i hopefully find someone who has some sort of solution.
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
It does help knowing it's happening two someone else I thought I was going crazy. I've thought about videotaping myself sleep to see if I can catch it on camera . Now that I now I'm not crazy I'm going to find out more research. Thanks for the responce of course I'm still up and have to go to work at 6. I just hope it can't be pass to my kids. I don't wish this on no one .
|