Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

skinny with hypoglycemia ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
any advice? i'm a girl, 5'8 110 lbs. trying to GAIN weight but i'm also exercising now 3x a week so it's hard to keep the calories on without sugar.

i do not have health ins. and i'm pretty sure i have hypoglycemia. my bp is also pretty low all the time. in the 90s...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper akrockley
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
is my hypoglycemia causing low bp or does it sound like i just have hypotension? is there a way of knowing? tia i am clueless
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Eating sugar can make hypoglycemics lose weight
If you are hypoglycemic and already thin, eating sugar is going to make your hypoglycemia worse and you will end up losing more weight.

I am 5'4" and 120 lbs. I try to exercise 3-5 times per week. When I first developed hypoglycemia I had just given birth. I gained 21 lbs during pregnancy and lost 55, ending up at 85 lbs.

Eating sugar raises your blood sugar. When your blood sugar rises your body produces insulin. Insulin decreases the blood sugar by pushing the glucose into your cells; however, with hypoglycemics it pushes out too much glucose and you get a hypoglycemic attack. Your body releases adrenalin which tells your liver to release glucose and if you don't have any there it starts to steal it from your organs and body fat. You end up essentially eating your own body. If you are thin you get thinner, possibly much much thinner. It is a vicious cycle.

If you want the energy to exercise and gain or maintain your weight, eat healthfully. Eat lots of vegetables, good quality protein (chicken, fish, lean meat) and whole grains. Also have good quality fat like olive oil. If you eat this way you will have lots of energy and settle at a healthy weight!

AK Rockley
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
thanks i did not know that. i bought one of these high calorie drinks recently (980 cals w/ 48 grams of sugar).. i'll try to resist next time!
|

replied June 4th, 2010
an update

i measured my bp this morning (didnt eat on purpose to observe my symptoms) it was higher than normal and then i walked around a bit and almost fainted, measured my bp and it had dropped a TON. i was going to use a blood sugar tester but the batteries were dead.l does this sound like hypoglycemia? i'm gonna make a doctor's appointment at a free clinic. no ins. but curious about opinions.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
an update, thnx akrockley i think youre right! thumbsup

i am exercising (stair stepper 30 min 3x a week) and gaining weight, slowly i think trying to follow the hg *diet*

first few days i felt awesome now im really tired again. i feel constantly hungry too. i didnt realize how much caffeine and tea was messing with my appetite.
|

replied June 28th, 2010
I walk every day for at least 1hr. I also do weight's twice a week. Since dropping breads and sugar my weight has also dropped.I am trying to put it back on with with a low carb high pro diet. My weight stays with in 3lb's +/-. So, stick to the glycemic Index(I do) and when you feel a change in how you are feeling take a blood test for sugar. If its below 3(for Canadians) then sugar definitely is your prob. One other thing stay away from those hi/cal drinks, its a fast energy boost with bad drop later. Eat protein foods ie peanut butter 1tbls. You will have good and bad days but the ill feelings will be fewer and further apart.
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Ivhadit gave great advice!

I think it's okay to be skinny with hypoglycemia. Just address your hypoglycemia. See a doctor, s/he should put you on a healthy eating regimen that will keep your blood sugar at the correct level. Smile If you want to gain weight, your doctor should be able to tell you what to eat so that you slowly put weight on Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2011
Hypoglycemic trying to gain weight but can't
I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and have many bad days. I went SO long with out knowing what it was. My Dr. at the time just told me it was chronic dehydration. Clearly not the case. I was passing out at least every day. Things haven't been as bad since I had my son in 09 but I still have my days. Feeling very light headed all the time. I have cut out sugars for the most part and that has seemed to help some. My big problem is like you the weight issue. I am 5'9 and the last time I weighed myself was a while ago at 112lbs but many friends and family have telling me I seem to be losing more weight. I gained 25lbs when I was pregnant but the day after I had my son I was back into my pre-pregnancy pants. Now they are big on me. I am in a size 3 but only because of my hip bones. there in an indent in my stomach from my hipbones sticking out farther. I don't exercise since I don't have the strength at all and my son, around 30lbs, is almost too heavy for me to hold for more than 3 mins. I have tried protein powder and shakes, but they have a ton of sugar in them. I have been told to eat 5-6 times a day, small meals. I try my best but with working and a 17month old I tent to miss some of my extra meals. Any advice out there akrockley?
|

replied March 9th, 2011
get plenty of healthy fats in ya, butter, nuts, almond butter, avocados for example. fats contain more claories per gram then carbs or protein so eating plenty of good fats is a good way to increase calorie intake to gain weight.
|
Quick Reply