Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Skin Picking Obsession (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
I was wondering if I was the only one who obsessively popped zits...I don't feel for them all the time, but once every 2 or 3 days I will squeeze my pores obsessively. I have to be as close to the mirror as possible, in my brightly lit bathroom. I think I need to be so close so I can see all the little pores on my face, and I pick. I usually have 2-3 small zits and TONS of blackheads. I always do this, same way, every couple days. I also have really dry spots on my face because i obsessively wash my face, about 3-4 times a day. My ex boyfriend thought it was very weird that I would sit in front of the mirror for 30 minutes and pick at my face, but i didn't even care..I think the thought of all that nasty stuff under my skin grosses me out, and i feel the need to be rid of it. Also, whenever my lips get dry, I pick at the skin on them too.

When I was in middle school, I had a lot of pimples/heat bumps on my arms, and I would OBSESSIVELY pick at them. I actually wore long sleeve shirts all through middle school (even in the summer) to hide the scabs I'd given myself. My parents took me to several doctors but I seemed like a pretty sane, normal little kid, i just liked to pop zits...so they never really helped me. Finally, by freshman year, the bumps started to diminish, and my social life started to blossom, so i stopped picking so much.

So now, the picking has started up again, though not as intense as it was in middle school, I think because I don't have very many zits.

But, If there is a bump, I will pick at it. So, this is REALLY embarassing and REALLY a problem, but I recently discovered that those little bumps on my nipples would come up with stuff if squeezed, so I started to squeeze them too. Now the bumps have gotten bigger and my nipples look horrible now. I'm really self-concious about it but feel stupid because it is my fault that they are this way. Is there anything I can do to cleanse them and make the bumps shrink back down? Soap and water doesn't work. I've stopped picking them and tried that for months.

Okay...on to the squeezing. I think it might go along with squeezing things on my skin. I like to squeeze things with my hands. anything that is soft and squeezeable i will squeeze it. like if i'm sitting on my bed i'll squeeze my blanket and wring it with my hands. I feel sorry for my cat, i poke at her fat and squeeze the fatty parts...GENTLY, i won't hurt her or anything. she probably thinks i'm giving a massage. I think it's weird because when I do all these things I BITE and CHEW on my tongue really hard. Does anybody know why I like to obsessively squeeze things? Do I need to see a Shrink about this? And possibly a Doctor for my nipples?

Sorry its so long but thanks for reading...it's been a loong road.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AllFunAndGames
|
Users who thank melancholydaye for this post: AllFunAndGames 

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2009
Experienced User
does anyone have any comments on this?
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
I'm 22 years old and pretty much do the same thing, a far as picking at my face and body. It'll start with my face, go to my breasts, then my arms, then my legs. I have used methamphetamine a handful of times and it made the urge to pick about 100% worse. Also, when I was prescribed to phentermine for weight loss. So, if you're prescribed to (or just taking) any kind of uppers (meth, adderall, ritalin, concerta, phentermine, etc.) there are things you can do to keep yourself from picking.

Apply a mattifier underneath an OIL FREE liquid foundation and top it off with a loose mineral powder. (I prefer Bare Minerals. That stuff is amazing! Especially the concealer, which helps if you've already picked and need to cover any red marks.) It gives your skin a matte/airbrushed look and it keeps you from picking because you can't see the imperfections.

Also, when I'm alone, I pick significantly more than I would if I had company... Sober or not... So, throw on a long sleeved shirt or hoodie (and pants if you have a problem picking at ingrown hairs your legs, like I do) and it really does help. It's an outta site outta mind thing. If you can't easily feel or see what you want to pick at, it's almost like it isn't there, at least for a little while.

These things have helped me tremendously. And coming from another person with obsessive compulsive disorder, you should go to the doctor and get some kind of anxiety meds. Just don't let them try to put you on an anti depressant.
|

replied January 8th, 2009
Ok I am not a doctor, but I might be able to help. First of all I want to say that your squeezing thing is not a problem and I actually pick at my thumb. I thought I was the only who did that until I found out that my teacher picks at her thumb and so does my grandmother. I have known many people to squeeze their pimples so that's normal, too. I have known them to even squeeze pimples on their partners, too. Anyways it just happens to be a habit that you do no big deal.

As for your boobs... Be careful. The bumps on your nipples (areola) are very sensitive and can get infected or damage the tissue. I don't know if this has happened, but normally if something is infected or damaged it would swell and you would feel heat. I work with horses and when they come up with scrapes and flesh wounds you can tell if it is a problem by the heat that is coming from the area. The blood rushes to the area causing it to swell. All it means is that it is trying to heal and is fighting bacteria. If the swelling is constant or seems to be getting worse then I suggest a doc. They can give some meds to fight the swelling or infection or both whichever. I have no human doctor experience and you are no horse so my advice is worth little to none. I suggest googling it. I know when I had a cyst on my leg (it looked like a swollen bump on my thigh like a bug bit me) I was given cream to put on it to kill the bacteria that was in it. The swelling went away in two days and I never saw it again. The cream was perscribed by a doc.
Do some research on it and see what you find.
DreamFable
|

Just another FYI. Puss from swollen areas are another sign that something could be infected.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
thanks dreamfable, i thought i was one of the few that picked at things...I guess you never know because those are the types of things people do behind closed doors...it hasn't gotten so bad that I feel fever in my nipples, but i'm going to see a doctor anyways.

does anyone know anything about the squeezing and biting the tongue while squeezing? just another thing i'm curious about.
|

haha I can assure you there are plenty of people out there that pick at things.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
lol, good. I was starting to get nervous...
I was looking at the post and saw that it had like 50 views, i was thinking, omg ppl are reading this thinking "weeeird...this person can't be helped."
so they don't even reply to the topic.
good to know more people do this than i thought
|

There are tons of people if you include the nose pickers. lol jus joking to any nose pickers out there. Besides we all have habits. Anyways best of wishes when you go to the doctor.
DreamFable
|

I love picking at things! Blackheads are the best for that. I just try to stop before I ever cause damage to my skin, it's pretty easy to break blood vessels and make it look worse.

As for your problems, try an antibacterial cream for infected bumps. You should try getting something to keep you from picking/squeezing. Buy a stress ball (or make it with flour inside a deflated balloon) or even better get some bubble wrap. If you stop yourself from picking for long enough you might be able to break the habit. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself with my nail biting. I guess some of us are just a little more OCD than the others ...
|

replied March 9th, 2009
Same problem
I'm 19 and I recently found out that I'm an obssessive picker too. I hate it, I'll pick at any little thing and I'm constantly doing my eyebrows because I hate hair....not to say i don't have eyebrows lol, i just tweeze until i literally have little holes from trying to take out the hairs to the roots.
Also, about the nipple thing. One night I began to itch on one of my breast and I scratched. My boyfriend broke up with me like 2 days later and it stressed me out, the itching got worse and the scratching got more intense. Then the skin on my nipple starting secreting puss, it had ripped with my scratching. I lived with it for over a year, just itching, scratching, healing, itching, scratching, so on and so forth. I finally decided to tell my mom and she made me go to the doctor right around my birthday, not the best gift. They made me go get an ultrasound done because the doctor thought it might be an early case of breast cancer, it wasn't thank god! But the scare alone made me realzie that this whole picking and squeezing needs to be controlled. I'm not going to say that I've stopped picking or scratching, but I do way less often because I stay away from mirrors as much as possible. I figured if I can't see it then I can't pick at it. So far, the skin on my nipple is getting better and I do use creams. One to kill the bacteria and another for the itching. I hope this helped you realize that self control is really the only way.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2009
Controlling My Life
I am an obsessive skin picker. I recently only admitted this to my boyfriend of four years who is trying the best he can to help me. I am 20 and have been picking since my sophomore year of high school. It all started with my face, I would pick at whatever zits or blackheads I could find, and I had to have my eyebrows in immaculate condition. Then I moved on to starting picking my arms (which frequently have small bumps) and finally on to my legs which also develop small bumps after shaving.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to contain my compulsion. I will spend hours just picking at myself to the point of mutilation. I want to stop, really, but its not something to be done cold turkey- or alone. I'm glad I have been able to finally admit that I have a problem, but finding a solution has not been an easy task.
Please know that you are not alone, there are many many others out there who pick at their skin.
|
Users who thank twinkletoes389 for this post: AllFunAndGames 

replied May 24th, 2009
Same
Yes, I am glad to have found this blog, as I obsessively pick at my skin, not so much my face, mainly the backs of my arms, shoulders, back and neck. I realise I'm starting to look horrible with bumps, scratches, redness and scars now appearing, but I can't stop. I seem to do it when I'm bored, anxious or tired. I don't want horrible bumps and scars, but just can't stop the picking. I will keep trying to stop, but think it's just mind over matter, which is much harder than it sounds.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
I pinch and squeeze my boobs.. the lumps inside them .. like a stress ball.. i play with the fat in my boobs.. i can even make it pop like a knuckle. weird i know! i'm nineteen and ive been doing this since grade school . My boob... the only one that i pinch has about 5 bruise around it from me pinching and squeeze and my favorite spot on my boob iches constantly and looks like a burn or something that healed?? idk how to explain it but there is something seriously wrong with me.. like it feels good to play with my boob.. it calms me down helps me think.. it's nuts.. i dont understand.. i even do it when i dont realize.. other people point it out and its embarrassing..
|

replied August 5th, 2009
I cant stop picking at my skin neither and it's really getting me down. Have you found anything to help your situation? If i have a lump like a tiny little lump i will pick at it and squeeze at it until i am convinced i have gotten any bad stuff out of it. My face looks like it has war wounds over it because if i find the smallest spot on my cheeks i will pick at it and scrape at it until sometimes its very big and bleeding everywhere i have decided i need some help as it is becoming like an OCD do you have any recommendations?
|

replied August 15th, 2009
I can't say I know the best thing to do about the problems you are having, but I can say that I can relate. I have a habit of obsessively picking at my arms mostly. I used to obsessively pick at my face also, but I try to refrain from doing that so much now because it gave me little scars. You can barely see them now tho, but for the longest time I was very self conscious about the scars I had, so I'd apply different scar treatments to them and it actually helped to fade them significantly. But I'd have to say that my arms are my worst obsession, I will find little white bumps in my skin that nobody else can even see unless you look really closely, and I will squeeze them until white stuff comes out. Family members and friends wondered at certain points in my life if I was a druggy or something because I picked at my arms so frequently. I also found like you that by squeezing the pores on my nipples and areolas that white stuff comes out there too. But I learned that if you just refrain from squeezing them that the enlargement of your nipple pores will deminish. I rarely put lotion on my nipple area or on my arms to keep from clogging my pores. Occasionally I will if the areas get too dried out, but it has helped me quite a bit. I also use just a dab of rubbing alcohol on the areas that I've picked to dry and clean out my pores. Now I'm not a doctor by any means, but I know what's worked for me.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
AC1 wrote:
I pinch and squeeze my boobs.. the lumps inside them .. like a stress ball.. i play with the fat in my boobs.. i can even make it pop like a knuckle. weird i know! i'm nineteen and ive been doing this since grade school . My boob... the only one that i pinch has about 5 bruise around it from me pinching and squeeze and my favorite spot on my boob iches constantly and looks like a burn or something that healed?? idk how to explain it but there is something seriously wrong with me.. like it feels good to play with my boob.. it calms me down helps me think.. it's nuts.. i dont understand.. i even do it when i dont realize.. other people point it out and its embarrassing..

My friend does this all the time..... Question
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Day in Day OUT
I understand how you feel. This is the first time that l've talked in public about my obsession to pick. That was firstly to pick my face up on the bathroom table, infront of the mirror for 1,2,3 hours continuously. It is mad and it kills you inside, as you know your destroying your face and that after the mutilation you won't be able to leave the house. Well then because you have to go to work or out you convince yourself that the makeup is covering it up and no one can see. I think by now l would make an brilliant makeup artist! This obsession has taken away soooo much from my life. I am 35 now and have struggled with this problem since l was in my early teens. Only just last night l discovered there is an actual name for it, that is plainly called 'Skin Picking Obsession' or OCD.
It is a great relief to know that l am not the only person with this problem. Well, really l would not wish this on anyone!

Best wishes to you all and may we all find something about ourselves to LOVE.

x
|

replied November 14th, 2009
I am the exact same way. I seiously pick everything. every night. I cant help it and i have no self control to stop it. I have bumps on my legs i pick as well as under my arms, face, inbetween my boobs, on my nips. Even if there isnt anything noticeable for anyone to see, i pick it. Then ofcourse it looks terrible and my body is all scared up. I honestly dont know what to do. I tell myself to stop after everynight of picking, and then the next night or in gym or when ever i see anything to pick, I pick it. I dont know what to do but i understand what your going through it sucks!
|

replied December 4th, 2009
i have had a problem with my nose.. years ago i was snorting things i wasnt supposed to be and had gotten sores and since then (over 4 years clean lol) i am still picking at the same sores it's crazy i feel crazy and i'm sober! i dont know how to stop.. i've tryed but nothing is doing it... so if you think ur bad.. i feel nasty
|

replied December 6th, 2009
I have a serious skin picking issue with my fingers and mainly my thumbs. My thumbs have gotten really bad and are pretty much scarred from doing this for so many years. Not it feels like I have to do it because they're always dry and flaking. Even my nails have started to see the after-effects of doing this for so long. Really wish I could stop, guess it is just mind over matter and using something to heal them once and for all.
|
12 >>
Tags: skin
Quick Reply