Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Skin hanging from vagina - Help!

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
Hi. I'd really like some advice before I go to the doctor!
I found a piece of skin hanging from my labia about a week ago, and I kind of pulled at it, maybe thinking it would pull off or something. It wouldn't so I ended up kind of rolling it in a ball thinking it might disappear. Next morning I woke up and it had kind of hardened into the ball and now looked like a lump rather than a piece of skin hanging. So I immediately regretted what I did, and have been worrying a little about how it looks and feels like a hard kind of lump, even though I know how it got there, that it was originally a piece of skin. Now I'm worried about how it looks and hoping it goes away. I've been putting tea tree cream on it to see if that would work and it hasn't, and I don't know if it will go away at all! Is there anything I can do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

The most common causes of lump in the labia are Bartholin's cyst,Nabothian's cyst or sebaceous cyst.Usually these are common and go by themselves.
Avoid wearing tight undergarments.
Wash the area twice with antibacterial soap and water.
Do not squeeze or pull it.
If swelling,pain or pus is there then kindly visit a Gynaecologist as you may require prescription antibiotics.

Take Care!

|
Users who thank Mitaly Agarwal for this post: tj8277 

Oh God, so you think it's a cyst even though it was originally a piece of hanging skin? Thanks so much for replying! I've stopped pulling at it and it hasn't grown or anything, so maybe it will go away?
|

Don't panic! It may just be a skin tag. Skin tags grow where there is rubbing and friction. Yes, don't wear tight jeans or clothing for a while and go have it cut off by your GP. It is worth the money not to worry. It only takes a second and you will breathe a huge sigh of relief it was nothing else.
|

Thanks so much! It seems a little smaller today since I haven't touched it. I'm gonna leave it alone and just keep bathing it in anti-bacterial soap and if it hasn't gone by late next week then I will go to the doctor! I don't want my boyfriend to see it and think it's something bad!
|

OK I'm glad you put the term 'Skin tag' out there, cos I just checked that out online and that's definitely what I think it is! I feel a lot better now! Thanks so much!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.