Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Skin condition - lips and eyelids peeling, cracking, splitting

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hello all - I'm experiencing these symtoms with the skin on my face:

Lips
cracking and splitting and scabbing and peeling (also itching and stiff and painful at corner. Was strictly at the corners (symmetrical) until a few days ago when it began to spread to my the rest of my lips. The stiffness was bad enough that I could barely open my mouth without the corners splitting and bleeding - making it difficult to speak or eat without first soaking my mouth and softening the scabs.

What I've done so far:
-clean with hydrogen peroxide
-clean with apple cider vinegar
-clean with sea salt water
-treat with ajowan essential oil
-treat with propolis
-treat with tea tree essential oil
-treat with mild hydrocortisone cream
-protect with aloe vera and petroleum jelly balm
-began taking b complex

These treatments have been helping the corners heal, but i'm now experiencing tingling, itchiness and redness on the whole of my lip (evenly) - and when i apply the propolis balm, small droplets of moisture form at ever pore evenly.

Possibilities considered: Herpes (seems unlikely based on research. I've been tested many many times - always negative, I have no 'sores' or concentrated areas); Angular Cheilitis (likely possibility, but would it explain spreading to the center of the lip?) - thereby a nutritional deficiency; Eczema on the mouth; Allergic reaction (to what I'm not yet sure);

Potentially relevant factors:
-I have a history of eczema (though has generally been at the crease in my elbows, knees and central abdomin
-I'm a gluten free vegan with virtually no intake of refined sugars

Simultaneous condition on Eye Lids:
-peeling, cracking, swelling, redness, itchiness on upper eye lids, concentrated in the inner corners
-treated with a blend of soothing essential oils (mixture of evergreen blend, lavender and almond oil) - temporary help

Potentially relevant factors:
-Worsens after crying

Many many thanks to anyone who can help. (Also worth noting: I tend to use natural products whenever at all possible). I would love to know the cause - as it's becoming very uncomfortable and also, admittedly, a bit embarrassing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|