Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Skin biopsy accuracy ?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
My aunt had 2 skin biopsies of her scalp because of a sore that wouldn't heal. Both times it came back negative. She has dementia so getting her not to pick at it is impossible. Just as it looks like it's about healed she picks at it again. It's flat pink, with some red. Can a skin biopsy be wrong twice? If she would have some sort of skin cancer could it have went down deeper, and they just missed it? Both times the reports said severly irritated skin. I don't know if it's her keeping it from healing or it just won't heal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I would say that the chances of biopsy being wrong twice are very slim...In fact, I doubt this would happen....It sounds like a severely irritated skin condition...Is it possible for you to bandage this area lightly until it heals?...If you can do this take extra precautions at night when she is more apt to try to pick at it....Good luck and I hope that you are able to find the right cure for this problem....Take care...

Caroline
|

No because of her hair I can't put a bandage on. I have put socks on her hands, but by morning they are off. Through the day I watch her, but night time is when she wakes up, and picks at it. I would agree with you that the skin biopsy being wrong twice would be unlikely, but someone had told me that there was a chance they could have been, because it's not healed. But with her picking at it, I never know if it's her or it just won't heal. I am trying a new thing I found online putting sugar on it lining it with antibiotic ointment and filling in the inside! Thank you Caroline!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I sure would hesitate on the sugar....Hot water is the greatest healing agent that there is....Why not shave around the wound...Clear the area and bandage it up.......Good luck...

Caroline
|

Why would you say hesitate on the sugar I have read it's used for healing hard to heal sores? hot water? We have shaved around it, but the Dr. even said it would be difficult to get a bandage to stick they tried it when it was first biopsied.
|