Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Size 3 diapers- how many should I buy?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
OK! Well, I found a great sale on diapers... A case of diapers for 14.99 144 + per case... They are pampers..

So far. I have bought

1 bag new born 40 diapers
1 bag size one 90 diapers
2 bag size two 77 diapers per bag

Now how many cases of 144 should I buy for size 3? Like 2 cases then get a case of size 4

I can only afford it now. I am going to be a single mom and this price is great. So, How many would you buy in size 3
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
You're going to go through a lot more than 1-2 bags of size 1 and 2. I would concentrate more on them than worry about the larger sizes right now.
|

replied July 5th, 2008
Experienced User
I was thinking because they're 16- 28 pounds she may wear them more and she can't wear them too small.. I was thinking like one more bag of size 2 and the rest size 3? But wasn't sure how long they wore size 3
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It'll take your baby a little while to reach 16 pounds unless you have a very big baby. Honestly, I'd concentrate more on size 2, which is 12-18 pounds.

Your baby's going to have around 8 diaper changes a day, and you'll be amazed how many diapers you go through. Hopefully you have friends and family who will give you some newborn and size 1 diapers (size 1 goes up to 14 pounds), so really I'd concentrate more on size 2. I personally didn't need size 3 for my daughter for a very long time, but she's a small baby.

It'll probably be a while before you need size 3. Months, probably. And during those months, your baby's going to be wearing either 1's or 2's.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Laura's right. I have a big baby so she was in size 3 by the time she was 4 months old. She wasn't out of the weight limit in the 2's but they were leaking so we moved up a size. I would get some more size 2's and 1's though. You're going to need more than that definitely.
|

replied July 7th, 2008
Experienced User
I figured that since I was buying them by the case I should get size three, but they were sold out Sad Oh well.. I will buy another size two and 1 Smile Thanks!
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2008
Supporter
you need a whole ton of newborn ones.Mika wasonly in 3's for around a month and a half, she grew like a weed at that point!
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Experienced User
I have a 3 month old and a bit of advice would be that you will DEFINATELY need to concentrate more on the newborn (depending on size of baby) and size 1 diapers.. Your baby will go through that 1 pack of 40 newborn diapers in a week... keep in mind your baby will go through 8-10 diaper changes a day... My 3 month old is in a size 3..He can wear the 2's but I find that he leaks alot and the 2's are almost too snug around his legs...
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I know it's a great price, but I wouldn't bother buying that far ahead. Depending on the baby, she may not be in a size three until she's 6 months old. My baby is now almost 6 months old and still in a size 2 pampers swaddlers. I think the cheaper Baby Dry Pampers are a little smaller too. I bought size 2 Luvs and they fit like a size 1 Pampers Swaddler.

If you are breastfeeding alone at this size 3 age you will go through more diapers. If you have the baby on more solids, then he will need fewer.

I don't know if it's worth saving that much money if it's going to be that far away. You might need the money for other things that are more important or closer in time. But getting one box would probably be good for now.
|

replied July 9th, 2008
Experienced User
Yeah I ended up getting two boxes of 3's but kept the recipt they said I could exchange for sizes. I am having a shower and have a feeling some people will get the new borns thats why I just got one for now. PLUS the dr. said shes measuring pretty big right now.
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I personally think buying boxes (cases?) of size 3 diapers when you're still pregnant is overkill. I really wish you'd gone with a size 1 or 2 instead. You don't want to be stuck without appropriately-sized diapers and have your closets cluttered with diapers for later down the road. It's better to be prepared for the nearer future than the distant future.

I also strongly agree with Mominashoe. You'll be amazed at the expenses that pop up and the things you'd never thought you might need.

I'm glad you can exchange them... but you might want to find out if there's a time limit on that. Many businesses have a 90 day policy.
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
I had a large baby, over 9lber, he was in newborns for maybe a week, we received 3 size 1 diapers for an early xmas gift, and I had to exchange 1 bag for a size 2 because he grew so fast. He went through about 2-3 bags of size 2, and we've gone through 4 cases of size 3 and he's only 6 months! we took him to the doc today and he's at 21lbs at 29 weeks. this is in addition to being at daycare 5 days a week for 6-7 hrs a day where they supply diapers.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2010
my daughter just turned 4 months and she is in a 3,but we went threw like 4-5 bags of the newborn size pampers swaddlers by the time she was 3 weeks old,the can't hold it in so you will go through alot of newborn and size 1,get about 4-5 bags of newborn size and about 5-6 big bags of size 1.once they reach size 3 usually between 4-6 months they start slowing down a little on the peeing because they start eating solids so they get a little less liquid intake,but newborns are always pooing and peeing and you will waste alot of diapers because u will have to grap one real fast because the baby will start going as soon as the air hits his/her bottom.i have 3 kids 2 girls and a boy i find that my son used way more diapers then the girls.i also run a daycare so i know what i am talking about.i watch babies from 6 weeks old all the way up to six yrs old,and its better to have more diapers then to have to run out with a screaming baby to get more you will be sore for a few weeks and not what to have to run out at the spare of the moment.good luck with the new one and relax you will figure it out.oh and to answer your question they usually stay in size 3 a little longer because they start to grow at a slower rate at about 4-6 months so i would start with 2 boxes of size 3 once you see that the second box is getting low you can get more prizes on diapers usually don't change much i use pampers on my daughter.my son is almost 5yrs old and has been fully potty trainded since he was 3yrs old.my other daughter is 2 and is potty trained fully during the day but we use pull ups at night.you won't need size 4 most likely until baby is about 8 months.also if you are going to breast feed the baby's poo will be more runny so you will have to change him/her more often and remember for girls you always wipe front to back or she will get a really bad infection and you don't want that,have fun with your baby.oh and i found pampers swaddlers are the best because it's easy to tell when baby is wet because they are made with a yellow line that turns blueish green when wet and after swaddlers try pampers cruisers or baby dry.right now with my 4 month old we switched from cruisers to baby dry because for some reason she pees threw the cruisers.she still fits in a size 2 but the elastic is a little tight on her chunky legs
|

replied January 3rd, 2011
Thanks for all the information here. I am currently prep for my future new born now... My friend told me Amazon has 30% off on diapers stuff..
Hope this can help you too.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
This really helps, im going to be a new mom at age 17 and ive really been having a problem deciding which diaper sizes would be best...i have so far 2 boxes of newbon (96 count) and two boxes size one (128 count) me nor my husband are big at all we aare both tiny, so i hae figured we shoould get another box o newborns and maybe 2 more boxes of size one then like 4 boxes of size 2 maybe more...i still havent had my baby shower yet either so the money i would spend on diapers, im going to put up until after my baby shower so i know how many more to get cause i know some people will bring diapers...
|

replied March 4th, 2012
This really helps, im going to be a new mom at age 17 and ive really been having a problem deciding which diaper sizes would be best...i have so far 2 boxes of newbon (96 count) and two boxes size one (128 count) me nor my husband are big at all we aare both tiny, so i hae figured we shoould get another box o newborns and maybe 2 more boxes of size one then like 4 boxes of size 2 maybe more...i still havent had my baby shower yet either so the money i would spend on diapers, im going to put up until after my baby shower so i know how many more to get cause i know some people will bring diapers...
|