Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sitting up while sleeping (Page 1)

For about the last 5 years I have been sitting up while sleeping in the middle of the night. I will typiclly stay sitting up and sleeping until my husband wakes me or I wake up from stiffness in my neck. I use to sleepwalk when I was alot younger. I don't understand why I do this nor how to stop it. Any advice is appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lippidude
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Up until mid 19th century everybody slept sitting up as it was believed to be unhealthy to recline so you're just going back to your ancestorial roots. Susahj
|

replied October 24th, 2009
I do this too! I just sit up and then wake up and lay back down or lay down and fall back asleep and don't even know it! Wierd... when I have sleepover's it creeps my friends out.. hAHA! It's just a type of sleep walking... but instead of walking, we sit in bed! Normal... just annoying! But your not alone Wink
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2009
Sitting on the bed while sleeping
WOW!!! For years i've been doing this and i do scare my friends all the time. They think that i'm possessed!!! Hehehehe Funny but it worries me. I sit on the bed and continue sleeping like that for a while, then, i lie down and continue sleeping without noticing. Sometimes i start talking or when i lay down i move my leg constantly. I've been looking on the internet to see if it's a sleep disorder. The movement on the legs might be RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) but sitting on the bed in the middle of the night...? I don't think so. But what it's true is that none of us were having the rest that we're supposed to. If someone have an idea of this please write me. Thanks, Aimée. Smile
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I do this too sometimes, it's weird.
|

replied December 13th, 2009
sitting up while sleeping
Ive been told by my girlfriend that I sit up in bed while asleep rocking back and forth , Shes also noticed that i stop breathing for periods of time when i sleep , so i decided to record myself sleeping with my web cam and sure enough , theres several times where i have stopped breathing, the longest was just over a minute and a half ,and when i started breathing again its usually a loud gasp for air. I dont really remember any of the dreams I have , oher than a reoccuring dream where im falling in darkness and hit the bottom and when i hit the bottom my legs kick up in bed and wake me . Ive also been told i talk in my sleep , sometimes very violently and angered , and I have been caught sleep walking several times over the years . I think im going to see if i can get a sleep study done , because its driving her insane and i cant get a good nights rest and im falling asleep several times during the day to compensate .
|

replied January 27th, 2010
sleeping and anxiety
so i recently woke up with my eyes open, sitting up. my vision came into focus while staring at a clock. it really freaked me out. allot of stuff has been wierd lately. i recenlty developed an anxiety disorder(2 months ago) and i think the amount of sleep i get has something to do with the mental exhaustion that is partially attributed to my anxiety. do you wake up 3-5 times a night? are you kinda not all there during the day? i really wanna know if im not the only one feeling out of it like this. also any tips on how to get better sleep?
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
hi, i have been having the same problems. very frustrating. i wake up many times each night and i'm always sitting up and what wakes me is that my back is cold from having no blanket over me or i find that my eyes are open and it takes a few seconds i think for them to focus and i snap out of it ! although they could be open much longer. i'm 28 and i'm starting to feel exhausted by it all now !! only started happening over the last few months but did have this trouble a few years back !! any tips guys????? i' miss sleeping normally !
|

replied March 16th, 2010
Stopping breathing whilst sleeping
Shadowvayne, you definitely have sleep abnee,a condition you often find with overweight people. You should go and visit a sleep clinic to monitor your sleeping pattern.Ive had this, and after I was put on a machine called C-Pab,
I stopped the non-breathing and wasn't tired during the day at all. Before I used to fall asleep waiting for the traffic light to turn green. That I never made an accident is a miracle.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
Shadowvayne, I would agree with Jayme that you have Sleep Apnea or Sleep Aponea (as it is spelt in the UK). There are two types of Sleep Apnoea, Obstructive and Central. The first is caused by the soft tissues above the throat collapsing which will cause you to snore when semi collapsed and will stop your breathing as they collapse completely. When the build up of toxic gasses build up in your blood your brain will send a message and you will gasp. Central sleep apnoea is caused by a loss of respiratory drive by the brain. In this instance snoring is unlikely. Both conditions can be very dangerous not least of which Jaymel mentions but can also include heart problems and seizures. You really must get it checked out.

In response to Elarairah, I have exactly the same thing as you and have suffered from this as well as sleep paralysis for years. I also sleep walked as a child. If you are any further in finding out the causes I would be very grateful to hear them.
|

replied October 30th, 2010
I first started sleeping sitting
in a chair to relieve nose problems. Nose would plug up when I reclined. At first I would sleep up to four houes sitting up. Then sleep time decreased now I am lucky if I sleep one hour. Anybody else having this problem?
|

replied December 5th, 2010
I sit up in my sleep too and my gf says it's hard for her to wake me up to tell me to go bck to bed. Not only that but I am a smoker and recently in the past week I have been waking up and lighting a cigarette and smokin but while I'm doin this I'm sleeping the entire time because I have no recollection of this in the am except for thics last time when I actually burnt my finger while smoking...other times I have just burnt holes in the blanket and luckily she's been able to get it out of my hands. I've also actually hit her in the face while I was sleeping (nothing serious though it was more of me putting my hand really close to her face n then just pushing my hand against her face where she wakes up and me just replying to her saying "i was sitting up sleeping" being my answer of why I did that. But I do recall having a dream that night about fighting so I'm thinking that's y I had done that. I have been doin research about this as I have been sitting up while sleeping for quite sometime now and the only things that I could find close to anything about why I do is is the possibilities of stress anxiety dreams you may have...post traumatic disorders or some emotional issues that may be causing you to do this at times...if anyone else finds anymore info on this please let me know
|

replied April 25th, 2011
I do the same thing, it freaks my husband out so bad hes stopped trying to wake me up and just rolls over so he wont have to look at me. If im laying on my stomach ill prop my head up on my hands and kick my feet or just stick them up in the air, often waking up with a neckache, and if im laying on my back i frequently sit straight up for periods of time. Ive even tapped my husband on the shoulder in my sleep a few times. When I was litle i used to sleep walk alot but i thought i had outgrown it. It has only been in the past year where I have started doing this again and much more frequently in these past few months. Last night he told me i was mumbling something and then laughing very loudly.... i will make phone calls in my sleep from my cell phone on my dresser across the room.... and Im always tired when i wake up. The dreams i do remember having are usually very strange and often disturbing but its very rare that I remember what I was dreaming. Im not sure what I should do or if there is anything I can do. Everything I have looked up online says its harmless and does not require treatment but it freaks out my husband and my dog and I cant help but worry one day im going to fall down the stairs or something if i start sleep walking again. Has anyone had a sleep study done before? Did it help?
|

replied May 9th, 2011
My problem is simular to all the above i hope and pray there is some one out there who can let us know what this is called and let us know how to solve it
|

replied May 12th, 2011
Tried Different Things
I too have all of the problems you have all described. I also will slide out of bed and sleep sitting up on the floor with my back against the wall. I sleep with a bed rail on my bed to stop me from doing this. I did have a sleep study done and found I have sleep apnea. I have a cpap machine and sleep with it every night, but every night in my sleep I take the mask off and toss it on the floor. I've even had the throat surgery where they enlarge the opening to your throat. This is suppose to cure snoring but within 2 weeks I started snoring again but the snoring sounds even worse because of the surgey. I've had my nose rebuilt with no success of improvement. I'm suppose to go see a doctor who is a sleep expert and have another study done but I'm so tired of trying to fix this but I'm so tired if I don't. It's a no win situation.

I think the sitting up has to do with helping you breath. The leg thing is definatly RLS. The more stress I'm under the more I talk and thrash about. There are prescription drugs that are suppose to help, but I don't like some of the side effects. Sometimes I will take Tylenol PM which seems to help a little.
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
I recently found out i do this to. well the other day i was telling my boyfriend i woke up sitting straight up and it was kinda freaky well he told me i do it when i sleep over at his house.. but just a few nights ago he told me i came to his house at 3:45 in the morning and all i remember is walking home..not sure how i got down there. but its starting to creep me out..
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
has anyone had a sleep syudy for the sitting up aspect of our sleeping problems??

any tips of info on it ?
|

replied August 5th, 2011
sleep sitting up
ive been sleeping sitting up for a little bit i dont understand i have my sister of friend wake me up and im just sitting on my bed and i dont know why or how and i have a genral anixtey disorder i has this for a couple of years now but i dont understand why i do this
|

replied August 5th, 2011
sleep sitting up
ive been sleeping sitting up for a little bit i dont understand i have my sister of friend wake me up and im just sitting on my bed and i dont know why or how and i have a genral anixtey disorder i has this for a couple of years now but i dont understand why i do this
|

replied August 5th, 2011
Lately a friend of mine told me i sat up in my sleep several times to start cursing and then as soon as he asked me what was wrong i laid down again. What i figured is that stuff like that always happens to me as soon as my sleeping pattern is stirred ( for example when i'm on vacation and go to sleep much later than normal ). What helps for me is taking some kind of sleeping pill to get my pattern up right again. As long as i keep my sleep pattern the same nothing happens anymore, hope it works for some of you too Smile
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
sleep sitting
im 14 and im not overweight.this happens me.my brothers girlfriend stays over sometimes and when she come in i would be sitting up and talking and my eyes open.she would ask me something and i would answer her.i asked my science teacher she said it was that some part of your brain is still awake.
|
12 >>