Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

sinus rinse addictive ?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I had surgery 2 years ago for a cyst that almost filled my left maxillary sinus, blocking drainage and causing chronic infection. Things are better though now I use a sinus rinse and occasionally a steroid nasal spray. it seems the more I use the rinse the more I need to use it. I know it's not like Afrin-you can use it as much as you want. But am I heading toward needing it 3-4 times a day? iIs that what is in store? I worry about that.

Sue
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2010

I hope this helps you!
Read the review about Afrin & how they beat the addiction... I hope it works for you, too! I would try a decongestant/allergy pill (Benadryl-D, Allergy Plus Sinus)& try going without your rinse... just keep blowing your nose till you can breath... also try those nose strips that you put on the outside of your nose to help you breath & quit the rinse... I wouldn't use the steroid nasal spray... make sure you don't use the decongestant past 7 days (only use the decon if you feel like you nasal is stuffed up... try going to just an allergy pill without decong. as those can also have "rebound" effects & make it worse! I hope it goes away!
Have you had allergies checked? Try to quit the rinses if you can... maybe try an air filter, etc...
Best to you!
|

replied February 15th, 2014
I have found a great nasal spray that is over-the-counter.

I did go to an allergist and only have a few mild allergies.
|