Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sinus drainage and pressure after cauterization (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I had my nose (left nostril) cauterized today as a result of excessive nose bleeds over the past year. I do suffer from allergies and regularly have a drippy nose. After the procedure was over, my throat became painfully sore and dry and my nose(left ostril) has not stopped sinus drainage. I am experiencing sinus pain and pressure in my gums and teeth on the left side of my face. I also have a black mark under the nostril, and I was wondering how I can get rid of it. I did take Advil Cold & Sinus when I got home and have gargled with salt water. My throat is still sore. Why has the procedure caused me this sinus pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NoseBleed
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I had my right nostril cauterized on Monday and am experiencing the exact same symptoms. I feel like I have a sinus infection. How long before your side effects went away?!
|

replied July 16th, 2009
Nasal Cauterization
I had nasal cauterization a week ago. What to Expect: Feels like you broke your nose. Nostril gets full of crusty stuff. The gum and tooth beneath the side that got cauterized aches. Any movement of your head, like walking or bending down makes pain worse. Just take Tylenol for pain. I couldn't breath out of my nostril because of all the crusty build up on the cauterized skin. I was to afraid to start picking at it...until today, a week later. I pulled out everything blocking my nose. The Hardened discharge was attached to the burnt skin. The burnt skin was gray in color with lots of very small dead blood vessels in it. It was a very weird texture like seal skin. So a week later the pain is gone and I can breath just fine.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
as of today my symptoms are mostly gone. i was not given any instructions from my dr, so i had been blowing my nose for a few days before i went looking up info on the internet and thus missed all that crusty goodness.
i didn't have my nose cauterized due to nose bleeds though, but rather because i'm always stuffed up!
|

replied July 17th, 2009
My experience after nasal cauterization
I had my nose cauterized two days ago, and I, too, am experiencing similar symptoms: sore nose (made worse when I lean over, which sucks because my job involves pulling trash like constantly); constant drippy nose for the first 12 or so hours after the procedure, which has now mostly changed to dry stuff plugging my nose, and some ugly black stuff at the edge of my nostril (is this blood or the medicine stuff?); and sore teeth under the nostril that got cauterized.
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in having these symptoms - the doctor didn't really tell me what to expect after the procedure, just that I wasn't allowed to blow my nose for a few days (which drove me absolutely nuts when my nose was running like crazy!) - and I was starting to get worried about the pain, especially the pain in my teeth.
|

replied March 8th, 2014
I know what you mean. Had mine done 2 days ago. Cauterized deep in the nose. Headache pain, jaw pain, tooth pain, and pain below the ear. Not fun. Using Afrin to control excess bleeding, and tylenol for pain.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
oh thank god! i had my nose cauterised yesterday and it's horrible. I've been feeling dizzy, headaches and nose pain and my teeth hurt so i'm so relieved i'm not the only one. my doctor said nothing about any symptoms afterwards! he just did it and then was like ok jog on! phew... hope the symptoms go away soon!!
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
I had an open rhinoplasty done with septal cartilage graft used on the tip exactly a month ago. A week after sugery, I bursted two blood vessels in my right nostril, thus requiring a cauterization. I don't know if it's the rhinoplasty or the cauterization (or both), but I still have nasal congestion that varies from mild to severe. When I blow my nose, I get this yellow sticky stuff, and sometimes it's white sticky stuff. I also feel like there's mucus or some kind of a clot in my throat, which does not feel comfortable at all! It's the worse when I try to lie down and sleep at night! I've tried every method imaginable to get it out, but it's impossible. I see my surgeon again in about 2 weeks and I can't wait to bring this issue up!
|

replied August 17th, 2009
Nasal Cauterization
i would get nosebleeds anytime i had a sinus infection, or when i would cry pretty hard. so, i had it done to my nose about 5 days ago. it hurt probably until the 4th day! (it hurt all the way down my jaw at first. haha) But i got that grey/black thing out the third morning because it was hanging out of my nose. but i ended up making my nose bleed like crazy by pulling the rest of it out...but it looked stupid to see this black thing sticking out of my nose...and i think i made it worse.

so ive had 4-7 nosebleeds a day for no reason since then, and im about ready to call the ENT to ask what to do. he told me there was a 40 percent chance i'd have to do it again. so im pretty upset i have to go through that again...
|

replied January 25th, 2012
I had my nose cauterized about a week ago and felt like there was stuff still in my nose last night so I pulled it out. Big mistake since it started bleeding and I had to use a piece of cottonball in my nose last night and took it out this morning and now I am worried it might start bleeding again. And I may have to go back to the ENT.
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
nose cauterization
So glad I found this site. I've just got in from having my nose cauterized with silver nitrate and now it's constantly running. I'm worried that the stuff will be washed away and that it won't work. At least I know that if I get any symptoms then it's normal.
|

replied October 30th, 2009
pain/symptoms after nose cauterization
I'm so glad I found this site. Thought I was losing my mind. Had my nose cauterized Tuesday for chronic nosebleeds. I have never experienced pain like this in my sinuses, my teeth are killing me.I called Dr. twice and he thought it might have been a reacion to the bacitracin. I didn't listen and have been taking advil, kind of felt if I hemmorage its better then this pain. It took some of the edge off the pain
|

replied November 6th, 2009
After Nose Cauterization
Thank you Ricardo! I just had my nose cauterized 2 days ago and the hard piece of crusty... ??? (aforementioned "grey skin thing") is so bothersome I have been tempted to get it out of there! But I see that your result is my fear! I certainly don't want to restart all that bleeding. Jeez, I sure wish the docs would have told me what to expect AFTER the procedure. One medical assistant suggested swabbing organic VITAMIN E oil into the nostril GENTLY with a q-tip and it has kept the "crust" a bit more tolerable. But there is pain all around my nose, not into the teeth and jaw though - as others have mentioned. Good Luck!
|

replied November 25th, 2009
cauterization
I have to go do it in 2 hours... But after reading your comments I think I will just have to cancel because I am so scared Sad
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Thank God I found this site. I had my nose cauterization earlier today and my Doctor DID NOT tell me about the sinus drip, the pain in my teeth and gums, and all the other discomforts you have also experienced. I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one. My Doctor NEVER mentioned these things might occur I really thought something was wrong until I read all the post listed here. Thank you for sharing. Hope everyone is feeling better.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
Nasal Cauterization Symptoms
I am so glad I found this site...this helped tremendously. I thought I had gotten a cold after the procedure, with the post nasal drip and sinus pressure. And this black stuff is disgusting...except mine is not crusty, it is gooey, probably because the dr. told me to put vaseline in my nose twice a day as well as take the antibiotic ointment. But it is driving me nuts and just looks terrible. How long before I can rip this thing out???? I had it done 3 days ago.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
I had my nose done last thursday due to a bloody nose only on my left nostril, and 1 hour later I had another nose bleed. So this past tuesday due to another bloody nose I had it done again . The only pain I have experienced was the burn as my ENT chemically cauterized it. My only issue now is that I live on nj which is like 15 degrees outside. I was told by my ENT to use AYR Saline nasel Gel and NOT to let it get dry. The not being able to blow my nose is driving my crazy too.
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Sinus drainage and pressure after cauterization
I had my nose cauterized yesterday as a result of frequent nose bleeds in my left nostril. My doctor too told me nothing about the following pain, so I'm thankful for all or your posts. Any recommendations as to the most effective way to curb the pain?

And in response to several posts about runny noses--my doctor suggested that I take an antihistamine and it really helped with the running (of both my nose, and of me to the tissue box).
|

replied March 8th, 2014
Tylenol for pain.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
pain in my nose:(
Thanks for all the posts, I had both mine done today. Doc never said a thing but for the last few hours the inside of my nose has been stinging like mad. Also I have a black mark on the outer skin at the bottom of my nostril, I assume this is silver nitrate that has run out of my nostril and burned the skin. Also doc never said anything about not blowing my nose or about any lasting pain so I'm gald For the info above telling me not to blow my nose although it will be difficult.
I guess I have a few days of pain and discomfort ahead. Sad
|
Users who thank andymc for this post: xzc 

replied January 30th, 2010
Nose Cauterized
I had my nose done about 4 months ago and now after its like cartilage is coming out of my nose. Surely that isn't healthy?
|

replied February 20th, 2010
Do I have a nasal infection?
I'm 30 years old and had my first nasal cauterization last week. According to the doctor the bleeding was caused by superficial blood vessels.

The problem is that ever since I had the cauterization I've had unusual nasal secretions, flat green mucus with a dry texture and a layer of what appears to be blood, forming over the cauterized area. Doctor told me not to blow or pick my nose but I've been forced to disregard his advice a few times because the secretion I described was blocking my nasal passage and I could barely breath.

It's been a week since the cauterization and I'm still dealing with unusual nasal secretions. I can't help but wonder if I have an infection especially since I didn't see my doctor clean the metal rods he burned my nose with.

Can someone tell me if I have an infection and if so whether there is something I can do?
|

replied November 4th, 2011
About your last post on cauterization! Please help!
hello,

I am writing with reference to your following post on 20th Feb 2010.

"Do I have a nasal infection?
I'm 30 years old and had my first nasal cauterization last week. According to the doctor the bleeding was caused by superficial blood vessels.

The problem is that ever since I had the cauterization I've had unusual nasal secretions, flat green mucus with a dry texture and a layer of what appears to be blood, forming over the cauterized area. Doctor told me not to blow or pick my nose but I've been forced to disregard his advice a few times because the secretion I described was blocking my nasal passage and I could barely breath.

It's been a week since the cauterization and I'm still dealing with unusual nasal secretions. I can't help but wonder if I have an infection especially since I didn't see my doctor clean the metal rods he burned my nose with.

Can someone tell me if I have an infection and if so whether there is something I can do?"

I got worried after reading that, are you doing fine now? my son had his cauterization just today. He is not even 2. can you tell me if this has any long term effect. Also he has developed this brown layer on the edges of both his nostrils. The method of cauterization was "silver nitrate".

Please reply
PG
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
Re: Sinus drainage and pressure after cauterization
Thank you for your post. My daughter has nose cautery done yesterday afternoon. She has been feeling pain inside of nose and I have been so worry about the black mark under her nostrils. Can you please tell me how long it takes for the black mark to go away accoding to your experience? What we can do to help getting rid of the black mark on her face? I am looking forward to your answer.

Hope you have recoved from the procedure and have no more nose bleeding!

jchap51 wrote:
I had my nose (left nostril) cauterized today as a result of excessive nose bleeds over the past year. I do suffer from allergies and regularly have a drippy nose. After the procedure was over, my throat became painfully sore and dry and my nose(left ostril) has not stopped sinus drainage. I am experiencing sinus pain and pressure in my gums and teeth on the left side of my face. I also have a black mark under the nostril, and I was wondering how I can get rid of it. I did take Advil Cold & Sinus when I got home and have gargled with salt water. My throat is still sore. Why has the procedure caused me this sinus pain?
|