Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Sinus congestion in morning

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I just joined the forum and am enjoying reading the serious posts, but I really have an odd question here:

Each morning just after coffee I retire to the Bathroom with my crossword.

Almost imediatly, I begin blowing my nose and usually end up going through 5 or 6 tissues. Sometimes more.

This ocurrs at my current home as well as in the last home we lived in. The Bathrom I use today is in a brand new addition to the home.

I rarely am conjested, but this bathroom thing has me totally puzzled. I have never asked anyone about it, but I thought the forum might provise an answer. Any thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Nasal symptoms are more common in the night and early morning.

Do you feel congested at the moment you wake up?
Does this occur only in the mornings?
Do you have thick phlegm right at the base of your throat, too?
|

replied April 17th, 2011
Yes to all these questions
yes. I've been having this recently for two weeks now. frontal head ache and congestion and i'm coughing of phem in the morning. I have no idea what it could be. My headaches are bad in the morning in gradually go away during the day only to come back again in the morning please help.
|

replied October 4th, 2008
Weird morning sinus event
None of the above. Just need to blow my nose a lot. This is about an hour after I have been up. I've read the paper and had two cups of coffee. No symptems at all till I use the John.

It's every day too, like clockwork. Like I said, two different homes and even if I am traveling in the hotel.

Thanks for the reply. The origonal post was titled "weird morning sinus" The owner of the forum decided to change the title which actually did not help.
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you noticed reduced sense of taste or smell?
Do you have chronic cough, too?

I'm not sure, but you can check with your doctor or an ENT doctor for a condition known as vasomotor rhinitis, or, non-allergic rhinitis.
It is present all year round and sneezing is not characteristic.
It's symptoms of nasal congestion and runny nose, can be triggered by change in room temperature, consuming hot or cold drinks (your coffee), eating spicy food, smelling certain scents or even having strong emotions.

Waiting for your post!
Marija
|

replied March 19th, 2009
help
every morning when I wake up I am congested, with thick phlegm in my throat. I cough to get the phlegm up, and it draw tears, I just want it to stop. Any suggestions on what this may be?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you are going through a case of sinusitis, an inflammation of sinuses ans nasal passages.
Nasal congestion with thick secretion, headache, facial pain upon pressure in the area of cheeks, nose and eyes, sore throat, cough, sometimes fever, fatigue, are all symptoms of this condition.
Sinusitis, usually, follows a case of viral infection of upper airways, or allergy attack.
Fungi, or air pollutions, can trigger the same problem.
Some structural nasal problems, like nasal septum deviation, or presence of nasal and sinus benign growths (polyps), put the patient at greater risk for frequent attacks of sinusitis.
Accumulation of excessive nasal secretions or mucus drainage in the throat or back of the nose is known as post nasal drip, leading to bed breath, need for constant throat clearing, tickling in the throat, swallowing and spitting mucus constantly.
It is very characteristic finding in sinusitis sufferers.
Every person, should visit a doctor when experiencing pain or pressure in the upper face accompanied by nasal congestion or discharge, postnasal drip, or ongoing bad breath, for appropriate drug treatment.
Sinusitis left untreated increases the chances for chronic sinusitis attacks later in life.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied November 15th, 2009
answer
caffeine in coffee is a vasodilator, which expands the blood vessels in the body, including the ones in the sinuses
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
Newspaper
Perhaps you are allergic to the ink in the newspaper.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
I have the same problem. I have tried sleeping in different rooms/use different pillow/no pillow etc. As soon as I wake up I am fine, both nostrils are clear. After 10 minutes or so, one of the nostrils, mostly the left one, starts to block. I feels like blowing my nose, but hardly anything comes out. If i use otc nasal spray, it works like a charm, but obviously i don't want to depend on it. At first i thought that something happens in the bathroom, so tried keeping the fan - the thing that sucks the air - switched off, left door open through the night, but didn't help. Even if i don't go to the bathroom, i still get that. Finally, later throughout the day, mostly my left nostril is partly blocked. I don't know how long this has been happening, but i started noticing it 4 months ago when I started Pranayam - breathing exercises in the morning. There are times when i just cannot do Pranayam. I am going to try Humidifier today.
|

replied July 14th, 2010
Humidifier doesn't work. Same problem. Blocked nose 10 minutes after waking up with clear mucus. however hard i blow my nose it won't come out fully.
|

replied July 24th, 2010
I guess no one has any answer. Finally went to the doctor. As expected, he told me it was allergic rhinitis. got Flonase. now keep inhaling for weeks. and possibly for rest of the life. Yay!
|

replied August 27th, 2010
sinus, nose
Hi every one.
i have the symptoms of sinus like headach,eye pain etc , but three strange things happening with me...
1)when i wakeup in the morning i starts sneezing and get full or partial flu through out the day. during night time i recovers form the daytime flu.
2).and the other problem is that when ever i get mentally tense like because of exam or other problem, i strats sneezing very frequently. do you peopel believe that sinus activation has any link with tension or depression.?
third one. when i seelps on my right side,the right side of my nose blocks. if i sleeps on left side my left side of nose blocks.

kindly help in in this matter..
|

hey i suffer with a constent feeling of a block nose sore throat and a lot of phleum at the back of my throat never goes had it 7 months eyes sting most days really getting on my nerves my throat feels constantly swollen had camera down nothing there
|

User Profile
Hi! Many thanks for your question on eHealth forum!

Chronic nasal congestion can be due to allergies, chronic sinusitis or due to gastric reflux. Common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, synthetic fiber, cosmetics or drugs. For allergies you will have to take a skin test or a RAST panel. Chronic sinusitis can be diagnosed by CT scan of sinuses.

If it is gastric reflux then taking omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime will help. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks, caffeine, and spicy food. Raise head end of bed at night.

Deviated nasal septum is another possibility. For persistent congestion, it's usually best to see your ENT doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!
|

thank u pingo
|

replied December 6th, 2010
throat mucus
hi there,
I have a mucus problem when I wake up in the morning a small amount of musus in the back of my throat then it becomes heavier until I am quite congested. It gets worse as soon as I drink/eat anything, and then clears as the morning goes on. My nose isn't blocked just the back of my throat? My mother also suffers from this and has done so for over 30 years apparently!..getting worse as she gets older!... I am frightened that I am going to end up like her? She recently told me she is having trouble breathing, particularly in her sleep and the congestion is now with her all the time!!!! any suggestions to improve this problem would be appreciated,

cara
|

replied March 13th, 2011
Clear congestion / sneezing upon waking
I have clear sinus drainage immediately upon wakeup, whether laying down all night, or even dozing off for 15 minutes in an airplane when waking up. It takes 20-30 minutes of nose blowing and/or a "sneeze storm" before it stops for the day ( until the next time I wake up ). There is congestion in the day, but not blocked up fully and can always breath through my nose except for the first half hour after waking.

What is it about waking up that triggers this clear congestion / sneezing ?

This occurs whether I'm at home, at a hotel, in an airplane ... I dont think its allergy to a pillow or a common item in the house. It started 4 - 6 months ago and it's beginning to be increasingly annoying
|

replied July 15th, 2011
The Solution
I experienced this problem (morning stuffiness) for years before discovering that daily Echinacea supplements would remedy it. I now take 2 400mg Echinacea capsules each day (one in the morning, one in the evening), and wake up clear-headed each morning. Hope this helps. Smile
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
I have the same problem of waking up clear, then after 15 minutes feel congested and worse when i eat or bad air. sometimes i feel like i have the flu...mucus in back of throat and have to spit and blow nose...sometimes chest feels congested up high like in the bronchus area.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.