Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Sinus causing chronic nausea?

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
Hello-- I am hoping someone out there has had a similar story and can offer me some hope! I have a child that is 9. For about 9 weeks now she has been suffering chronic nausea. It has not resulted in vomiting, but she gets waves of intensity. She has had blood and stool work, seen a GI and had a endoscope procedure to rule out anything wrong with her stomach. At the same time, she had been suffering sinus issues. She started developing more and more sinus infections over the past year or so, so I am wondering if this might have to do with her sinuses. I have an appointment with the ENT this Friday, but she is facing another week of this before she goes. She tells me sometimes she feels dizzy and has a headache. She is on her third antibiotic since this started weeks ago. Has anyone had nausea issues related to their sinuses? If so, what have you done to relieve the feeling? She has tried so many things, tums, pepto, pepcid, emetrol-- anything we can get our hands on for children. Thank you for listening!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper airfobrat
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2011
Experienced User
Yes, sinus issues can cause nausea from my experience! I have allergies. I am allergic to Pollen and ragweed and have to take Zyrtec-D everyday or I get dizzy and I have ear and face pain. Have the ENT check your daughters ears for fluid which can cause the nausea. I still get dizzy even though I don't have fluid in my ears. Some people are really sensitive when it comes to sinuses and nausea. I don't know what the doctor can prescribe your daughter due to her age. Zytec-D is the only thing I can take. Allegra and clariton are other options. If the ENT isnt much help, see an allergy doctor to find out if she has allergy issues and what she can do about it. If you take her there, make sure she doesnt take any anti-histamines as this could cause a delay in testing. Good luck to you both! Hope this helps...
|

replied May 7th, 2011
Thank you so much for your reply! She is taking Omnaris nasal spray for allergies, but it does not seem to be doing much good. I tried to get her to take Zyrtec, but she is afraid of pills--even those tiny ones! She had a history of ear infections, and had two set of tubes and her adnoids removed when she was very young (around 3 years old). She was doing well until last summer. We'll see what the ENT has to say, but as you said, an allergist would then be the next logical step. I was thinking of trying Benedryl along with the Omnaris (pharmcists says its okay) to maybe help with the dizziness?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2011
Experienced User
I don't know if the Benedryl will help with the dizziness or not. I know the anti-histamine takes care of swelling and hives but I don't know if that will cut it for the nausea. Just tell your daughter that if she wants to feel better, she will have to swallow the zyrtec but yea, see what the ENT can do for the dizziness. Good luck!
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Please tell me if you found out what was causing your daughter's nausea. We are in exactly the same boat as you. My daughter is 12 & has had chronic nausea for 8 weeks. All tests are coming back normal. We're seeing a peds GI & will be seeing an ENT next week. She also seems to have a sinus infection. She has no appetite & can only lay on the couch--it gets worse if she stands up.
|

replied July 14th, 2012
I am 16 years old and i've recently gotten these symptoms for the past 3 to 4 months. Some days are better and some are worse. I get nauseous very easily but i never throw up, it's a horrible feeling. I got allergy skin testing and i wasn't allergic to anything so now i have to get an x-ray for cronic sinusitus. I usually take Finnegan pills to relieve my nausea and they work great..
|

replied September 1st, 2012
Nausea
Hello -

Did you ever find a resolution to your daughter's nausea?
|

replied February 15th, 2012
I hate to tell you - but i had that same problem as a kid. i am 24 now - and i have constant nausea that i still have no idea what is causing it. my physician thinks i have sinusitis - i have constant sinus drainage. I went to an allergist - was found to not have any allergies - but found out I have asthma and rhinitis - which can cause drainage too...
|

replied November 12th, 2012
YES nausea and stomach upset will occur with sinus issues. try the netti pot one in the morning and night before bed it will relieve the drainage that is causing the nausea
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
Yes, sinus drainage will cause nausea. I suffer from it on occasion and my daughter and son have had problems with it also. Saltine crackers and dry toast helps, and ginger ale because of the carbonation and mild taste. Besides having to worry about sinus drainage that occurs on its on you also have to consider what you typically do when you have sinus problems, especially kids, (not to gross anyone out) but you normally sniff back congestion in your nose and then swallow. This greatly increases nausea. If you can attempt to spit this congestion out, you will save yourself a lot of trouble. I talked with my son's doctor at length about that and he confirmed my beliefs that the longer this congestion stays in your body the worse off you will be. That sounds like an obvious statement but what I mean is in your stomach, your intestines, etc., places other than your head. That is why, back in the good ole days, parents would give their children Castor oil when they were sick. It would clean out their system from top to bottom.
|

replied July 5th, 2013
drainage & nasuea
The same thing happened to me throughout my childhood. Now I realize its the drainage.I eat plan toast or saltines and sit still for a few minutes. Putting something in your stomach to soak up the drainage is what works for me and others I know with the same issue. Toast as soon as you wake up and then more toast or saltiness later if need be. I'm annoyed by having to eat the carbs when I'd like to avoid them but it's cheaper and has now side effects.
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2013
Is it also possible to have sinus infection without drainage?
|