Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Single, itchy, red bumps on skin

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I'm having re-occurring red, itchy bumps on my skin. They show up one at a time, usually last for a week, then disappears and another one shows up in another place (including face, arms, legs, butt, hands). I went to a doctor who told me they were insect bites, but I've done all I could in my apartment and still get them. It's been already 3 months and I don't know what to do. Has anyone ever had a similar situation?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lisagrad
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
I have a similar thing and am trying to figure it out. I had the first spot on my back. I noticed the itching before the spot itself. It went away after a while but ever since I've noticed a few more, still random and single, itchy bumps on my chest and torso.

I've done some preliminary research online and haven't found anything to explain it so far.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
I still didn't find what it is, but the 3rd doctor I saw ordered some blood exams. The results came out normal, except for Lyme disease, which we didn't get the result yet. HOWEVER, she prescribed me antibiotics and since I started taking them (2 weeks) I haven't had any other bumps... maybe you should try a doctor (that doesn't just think it's an insect bite... it might take some time to find one like this).
|

replied May 18th, 2012
I've been suffering the same thing. Small red, very itchy bumps. I got them last year and a dermatologist did a biopsy and said "probably an insect bite" and had given me Fluocinonide, an ointment. After about a month they finally didn't come back... until this year about 3 weeks ago. I have an appointment with another dermatologist in a few weeks. The itchiness is driving me crazy! Any good suggestions to relieve the itchiness? Nothing seems to work.
|

replied December 27th, 2012
I had my first spot on my neck. I thought it was a mosquito bite very itchy. Then I had several more some on my back under my arms legs etc. not many at once. I went to dermatologist. He scraped the bites could not make a definite diagnosis. He gave me triamcinolone ointment and super Benadryl A new spot just appeared on my navel. I thought I was cured but I guess not. My dermatologist also thought it might have been bug bites but couldn't prove or disprove it. Still a itchy mystery
|

replied August 24th, 2012
red itchy bumps on skin.
I'm having the same problem too. Not my first time to have this too and didn't find any answer on the net as well.i dont think it's a insect bite but i'm trying to consider the weather. I noticed that they appear when its mere cold.what about yours?
|

replied September 7th, 2012
It is more than likely either scabies, bedbugs or syphallis.

All curable, but its definitely worth checking into for your own health.
-personal experience
|

replied March 11th, 2013
Red itchy bumps
I was dealing with the exact same thing. I had one bump near my tailbone, and I thought it was a mosquito bite. It itched like crazy. I went all day with this annoying itchy bump. At night, when I woke up I was itchy like crazy. In the morning when I got up, I had bumps all over my back, belly, breasts, arms and face. I went into the ER because I was terrified it were something bad and I didnt know if I was going to transfer it to my children. They instantly told me it was hives. I was prescribed a steroid and also bought Benedryl. I took both mediciations right away, and took a three hour nap afterwards. When I woke up from the nap, I could not find one single bump on my body. I am realived because it was very irritable with the nonstop itching all night!
|

replied September 7th, 2013
For all of you with this problem, of which I have the same, check out Cellulitis... Good luck!
|

replied September 10th, 2013
Okay, I went to the doctor, and he says it ISN'T cellulitis... prescribed Fucidin H cream... I do NOT think that's the answer, but we'll see....
|

replied May 1st, 2014
My daughters had something showing same symptoms. We thought it may be mites but they noticed it got worse in winter and went away (nearly) on spring break at the beach. They started going to the tanning booth once a week. Both are almost completely bump free. Now we believe it's a vitamin d deficiency. Until you figure out the cause, 50/50 tea tree oil and olive or grape seed oil will alleviate the itch for some time. Good luck.
|