Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Since I quit smoking

I quit smoking three weeks ago and ever since I have felt as if my health is getting or seeming worse I am just wondering if this is just the toxins from the years of smoking leaving the body? I have been to the doctors and was told to get some blood and urine tests which I have done and I am currently waiting for the results to come back, are there any other reasons I that these problems have occurred since I quit?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Pasta6
|

replied November 27th, 2011
Hi, well done for quitting! I quit smoking in May 2011, so I know what you're going through. I can only speak for myself, as you don't specify any of your symptoms, but some of what I had I shall list below. These symptoms began to occur after I'd been 'clean' for about a week and a half- Insomnia; diarrhoea then constipation; feelings of depression and anger (severe mood disturbance); nausea were the main ones. Remember that you are going through nicotine withdrawal and you don't mention whether you are using nicotine replacement products or not, but they can slightly alleviate your cravings and some of the symptoms above. However, all of the above are part of usual nicotine withdrawal, so stick with quitting and remember that if you start smoking again you'll just have to have the horrible withdrawal symptoms all over again. Keep up the good work, hang in there because it really will feel better soon, when you beat your addiction. Take care
|

thanks! Some of the symptoms I am going through are insomnia, I have also noticed a white film on my tongue with red blotches which I am not sure if this has to do with quitting smoking but the doctor prescribed me a mouth wash that should clear that up in a week he said but he was also thinking it could be an std :0 which would be hard for me to believe since i have not been sexually active in years, I have also noticed my skin has been really dry. As for nicotine replacements I started using the smokeless cigarette for about four days and nicotine gum which i am about to stop using.
|

replied December 18th, 2011
Quit Smoking Symptoms
I quit smoking again a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have had a white film on my tongue as well. I found brushing my tongue really well and gargling with mouth was has helped. Which I don't recall happening when I quit smoking years ago. I am thinking it is the crap coming out of my lungs & all the additives the put in cigs to keep you addicted to them. Dry skin yes, but this time of year, everyone has dry skin. I think the worst thing for me is the lightheadedness, the afternoon cravings that make me feel like I am having an anxiety attack. BTW cold turkey here.
|

Hi, I'm not sure about the tongue thing as this isn't one of the things I experienced. Have you tried googling it? Nicotine and the other chemicals in cigarettes act to 'slow down' several major bodily functions, including gas exchange in the alveoli of the lungs and also the stomach emptying into the gut, so it has an effect when all of this is allowed to function unimpaired again upon quitting. I would return to to your doctor if the symptoms don't calm down, but I know some quitters have reported getting mouth ulcers so perhaps you have something similar. Keep strong!
|

Also my skin has always been on the dry side so I haven't noticed much difference there!
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Experienced User
Hey, first of all good decision of quite smoking. I am a fitness trainer. Smoking is bad habit and when you suddenly stop smoking some effects will definitely show in your body. But do not take tension. Concern your doctor and get the best solution for this.I think quitting smoking is always good for health.
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2012
Experienced User
okay..let it be quitted only !
|

replied February 26th, 2012
i was sick for like 1 week fever cough and colds
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2012
I think you are facing withdrawl symptoms anywais just wait for the reports.
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2012
I think there is no problem. maybe you are not good without smoking. Just wait for your report. Hope everything goes well for you.
|