Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Signs of infection but urine analysis comes back normal?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
I have blood in my urine with no infection. Pain in my right lower back. I also have post void and emptying problems. I cannot fully empty my bladder and then leak after urination. It is quite embarrassing. I am a 24 yr old female and feel like my body is failing me. The pain in my back has become so severe I ended up in the hospital. They did an X-ray cat scan and urin analysis and like all other tests it shows blood in my urine but no infection and the scans are clear. I have an apt with a urologist but don't have my hopes up. I know something's wrong but there's nothing on these tests I know I'm not making this up but am starting to feel crazy as there's no results. Hoping my urologist can get to the bottom of this. Has anyone else experienced this"
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rolyat182003
|

replied March 29th, 2012
Update went to the urologist standard meet and greet with exam. Still no signs of infection pain is getting worse occasional visible blood in urine. I go back next Thursday for tests hopefully answers soon
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Supporter
Hi, duckling235. I came across your post because I am having some of the same symptoms. I am a 41 year old female who has never given birth. I have had microscopic hematuria for nearly 10 years now (small amounts of blood in urine but not enough to see with the naked eye.) I was given all kinds of tests and the doctor came to the conclusion that the lining of my kidneys was thin and small amounts of blood have been able to pass through.
I drink lots and lots of water and am on a blood pressure medication that also has a fluid pill, so I urinate A LOT. Sometimes I go up to four times a night as well as nearly every hour during the day. Recently I have been having problems urinating. It feels as though there is a blockage at times but I am afraid to force the urine out. I simply wait a moment and try again. The last straw was when it took me 5 tries and nearly 10 minutes to urinate. Even then it was a weak to strong to weak again stream with stopping and starting. I wonder if I have a small kidney stone that has not yet passed. The doc tested my urine and said I don't have an urinary tract infection. She told me to take AZO standard for 3 days and see how I felt. The AZO fixed the problem but as soon as I finished the 3 days, the problem came back. Now I am waiting to hear back on the results of the other tests.
Have they ruled out kidney stones? Or considered that it might be the cause of your symptoms?
|

replied March 31st, 2012
I had a ct done of my abdomen and pelvis no sign of stones. I believe I am going to have a cystoscopey I just hope they find something. The pain in my back becomes so intense I throw up I am just ready to feel better. It is so frustrating test after test with no results. I hope they figure out what is going on with you.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2012
Supporter
I hope you get a diagnosis as well. Good luck.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I've read your posts and can sympathize with the UTI's. I have had a few being a paraplegic with a superpubic catheter. Just musing here, but it seems that everything in your case is pointing to infection, but it doesn't show up in tests. I just read a page from a site about urinary tract infections and it said that most physicians/testers for bacteria consider you to have an infection only after a certain level of bacteria is present. However, the site also said that it was possible to show symptoms with much lower levels of bacteria present. I was thinking this might be the case with you. If not, sorry to bother you. Hope you can find a solution!
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Perhaps also you might want to have a check to see how much urine is being retained after you have urinated. I had a problem where my bladder was only emptying when it exceeded 600ML which can cause back flow up to the kidneys due to pressure in the bladder.
|

replied September 27th, 2012
I have the same problem for almost two years. However, last month I have two UTI infections and I still feel like I have the urge to pee. I have gone four times with the doctor and the urologist doctor that I saw last week told me I do not have bacteria. I do not feel chills and not feel so sick like when I had the UTI but I still feel the urge to pee and just the past couple of days I pee several times in in order to empty my bladder. The urology doctor gave me a pill that just make the urge go away will not fix the problem and I do not want to take it. I want the problem to be fix. I just hope I do not get UTI again. The urologist also is going to test me for stones but it will be in a week when they would call me to set up a test. Right now I wish to know why is this happening to me and how can I feel better. I just glad I see other females going to the same problem, it makes me feel much better. My husband thinks I am crazy but trust me there is not fun getting too many UTI and now having the urge to pee and I am thirsty and if I do pee I feel worst. I have pre-diabetes for almost 10 years and I wonder. I eat healthy 90 % but with this I think I need to be health 100 percent. I just hope they find what is going on with this uncomfortable situation.
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
Urine infection symptoms but tests come back clear
I just read your post and felt the need to comment as i have similar symptoms.

For a few years now i have had the most horrendous pain which i can only describe as high up in my vagina accompanied with severe lower back pain and horrendous pain in my right side which is just getting worse and worse. I have had several urine infections over the past year or so and after just moving house i felt and had all the symptoms of a urine infection so was so surprised when all the tests came back clear.

I was in so much pain a few weeks ago that i went to A & E, was kept in for a couple of days as they thought i may have kidney stones again (calcium) as i had 3 kidney stones las year and had them removed. The recent scan and x ray showed there were nos tones there. Also i have been told i have blood in my urine. I have a degenerative slipped disc so have had back pain for years but this pain is different. There is a strange smell when i go tot he toilet. Also sexual intercourse with my husband is impossible as i end up crying with horrendous pain and the pain is so bad i feel like screaming. I have been for seversl tests in England but they cannot seem to find anything. I have recently moved back to Scotland and have an ultra scan next week. I spoke to someone recently who had the same symptoms as me and she has been told she has ovarian cancer. I found out today which is strange as i only said to y hubby 2 nights ago "I either have cancer or a kidney stone deep inside they keep missing". I know there is something very hard deep inside which feels rock hard like a stone or something. Starting to get very worried. Will wait and see what the scan results show next week. I wish some doctor would find out what it is. Its been going on for a few years now and so far no-one has been able to decect what it is.
|

replied December 13th, 2012
Paraplegic with cath problems
I'm paraplegic with suprapubic catheter. I have two problems. First I continue to leak urine from my penis and to stop it the procedure will also stop any ejaculate from coming out of my penis. Needless to say my girlfriend doesn't like that idea. Is there a procedure that won't have that effect? Problem #2 I had a regular foley through my penis for 3 years. It caused the frenulum to separate from the meatus or head on the underside of my penis, therefore approximatly 1 inch of my eurethera is exposed. Aside from being unpleasent in appearance, it is also painful being and that small patch of skin that is pushed back is where a huge amount of pleasurable sensations comes from during sex. That patch of skin has about a gazzilion nerve endings in it and I was told it could not be reattached. I'm not sure this doctor has all his facts right. These are both very important issues to me and my girl so any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks
|

I'm paraplegic with suprapubic catheter. I have two problems. First I continue to leak urine from my penis and to stop it the procedure will also stop any ejaculate from coming out of my penis. Needless to say my girlfriend doesn't like that idea. Is there a procedure that won't have that effect? Problem #2 I had a regular foley through my penis for 3 years. It caused the frenulum to separate from the meatus or head on the underside of my penis, therefore approximatly 1 inch of my eurethera is exposed. Aside from being unpleasent in appearance, it is also painful being and that small patch of skin that is pushed back is where a huge amount of pleasurable sensations comes from during sex. That patch of skin has about a gazzilion nerve endings in it and I was told it could not be reattached. I'm not sure this doctor has all his facts right. These are both very important issues to me and my girl so any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks
|

|