Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Side of hand and pinky numbness

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
ok for 2mnths from my left elbow down the back of my arm to my pinky and the side of my hand stays numb all the time and stays in pain constantly what can be causing it?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2009
Neurological Disorders Answer A8423
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

The symptoms of numbness and pain suggest a probable neurological problem. Conditions causing pressure on nerves serving the function of sensation can cause numbness and pain. There are conditions like syringomyelia, which can cause similar symptoms. Your medical history says that you are disabled with muscle cramps, which definitely needs a complete neurological examination and investigations like a CT scan and/or x-rays.

It is definitely advisable to see the neurologist and get necessary tests and investigations done to identify the problem. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.