Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Side effects of living with one kidney

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
My left kidney only worked 6% so i had to get it removed because it produced hormones that caused my blood pressure to rise VERY high! I had the surgery in oct. of 09 and I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT IT IS SOOOO DIFFERENT LIVING WITH ONE KIDNEY!!!! -i can’t do as much activities
-the right one hurts alot!
-my menstrual periods hurt like nothing before
-every time i stand up everything turns black in my eyes and then gets back to normal.
those are just a few things i experience living with one kidney! those things have never happened to me before the robotic nephrectomy.

i am 16, this would never had happened if doctors took one single UTI seriously. when i was 2, urinary tract infection scarred my left kidney and i found out that it was the size of a 2 month year old baby when i was 15. any suggestions?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A11725
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the kidney removal side effects. Well, a person can lead an active, normal life with only one kidney. Studies have shown that one kidney is sufficient to keep the body healthy. After recovering from surgery, a donor can work, drive, exercise and participate in sports, though contact sports are not recommended. Regular consultation may be necessary to monitor the health of the remaining kidney. As far as pain during menstrual periods is concerned, it may be due to minor UTI. So you must consult your doctor to rule out such possibility. Secondly, you must rule out anaemia as a cause of blurring of vision etc. Some patients are surprised how slowly they regain their normal stamina. However, virtually all patients are back doing their normal duties within three months.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.