Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Side effects of D&C ?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I have had 2 D&C's in the past year for polyps. My second D&C was last Oct. Since then I have not had a period, but I get severe abdominal pain, cramping and my abdomen becomes bloated. I look like I am 4 mos. pregnant. This pain will last for 3-5 days then subside. My swelling also subsides. I have talked to my GYN about it and he said that it could be cervical stenosis then I had an ultrasound when I had the pain again. He kind of blew off the cervical stenosis issue and focused on the thinning of my uterine lining which he said was thin and he said that I had a cyst on my left ovary that looked like I was in ovulation and he predicted when I would have my period (which I doubt I will since I haven't had one for 3 mos.), but wanted to keep a close watch on it as it looked somewhat suspicous. He also said that I had fibroids. I had a blood test done to check my progesterone levels since I am 47 ys. old. I don't have the results of that yet. He doesn't know if I am menopausal. Last time I checked menopause doesn't cause severe abdominal pain! I never had these issues prior to my last D&C and wonder if something during the procedure caused this to happen??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CarolJungers
|

replied September 17th, 2009
I haven't had a period either since November of 2008. I have the same abdominal pains and now I have issues with constipation. Wondering if you have this issue.
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2009
Supporter
I am also premenopausal and have about 10 cysts on my ovaries. My doctor claims that they come and go and I shouldn't worry but I think they are messing up my system. For the last few years I have only gotten my period for one day. I'm not complaining but it just seems weird and I'd like to know if the cysts can cause this. By the way, my sister had a friend who died during a D&C..She was only 28 years old and couldn't get pregnant..The doctor put the knife right through one of her major organs and killed her on the table. I'm very weary of those procedures.
|

replied September 18th, 2009
well, my symptoms went on for 5 mos. I found a new GYN who referred me to a gynecologist oncologist since my ultrasound looked suspicious. I ended up having a laproscopic hysterectomy and I did not have cancer, but had a benign cyst, endometriosis and adenomyosis. I think my previous GYN caused me to have scar tissue build up after my last D&C which prevented my menstrual blood flow to leave my uterus and the backflow of blood caused my endo and adenomyosis along with my cyst. Don't ever get a D&C if you don't have to. It ended up causing me to have a hysterectomy!
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2010
What happend?
I had a baby September 30th 2009, the fallowing weeks I had severe abdominal pain fever & chills so I went to the ER & as it turned out I had a bacterial infection in my uterus, about a week later I went in early in the morning for a D&C it was supposed to be an outpatient procedure but I aparently bled too much so they kept me the rest of that day night and the majority of the next day, I still have abdominal pain every now & again but have not had a single period since then, that was mid october so it's been about 5 months now, I haven't seen anyone about it and I know I should I'm just not sure I want to go back to the same GYN who did this to begin with.
My biggest fear is that he really F***** something up and now I can't have anymore children.
|

replied April 15th, 2011
PLEASE READ THIS!!!
Hi everyone -

I dont mean to jump in but I am a person who had just this and I was diagnosed with Asherman's Syndrome. I had a D&C which resulted in scaring of my cervix (but can also result in scaring of the uterus) == I had hemotometrea (blood pooling in my uterus) because of the blocked cervix which caused A LOT of pain. I had the scar tissue removed by an ASHERMAN"S EXPERT via hysteroscopy. Its essential you enlist this type of doctor. You can find out more info . Seeing a doctor not experienced and SPECIALIZED in this WILL result in more damage.
|

replied September 18th, 2011
DnC 2010
I had a DnC Last year, Im only 20 now and I lost the baby at 8 weeks. after my DnC i was sent home 2 days later I almost bleed to death In my home. II had gotten a Blood infection and A Bacterial Infection. Ever since then I cant Have any children I have pain in my Ovaries and Uderis, I dont bleed I clot bad. I went from a size 7 to a size 12. I am a Nutritiousness so Ive tried everything, I work out everyday and eat healthy. god I cant remember the last time a had wheat product. sometimes I cant even get outta bed because I'm in so much pain. I dont sleep at night. the docs tried saying it was an std i got tested for everything not one thing. they kinda just threw me on the side about it all so I just live through it now. If I knew I could of naturally lose it myself I would of I was never Informed or anything. Fact my 19th Birthday I was sitting there with not a clue how the surgery went and thought that was my only way to go. now Ive just turned 20 and Im just about to get married and the whole no children thing really put a dent into our relationship, Thanks to doctors that dont have a clue what they are doing.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
side effects of D&C
Hello, I just recently had a d&c in January of 2012. I have the same symptoms. Severe cramping and bloating as well as spotting since the procedure. Im currently under the care of a obgyn oncologist, but the pain isnt going away and some days I can hardly walk cause the cramps are so strong. Any ideas, my oncologist says they will go away but I think otherwise. What to do?
|