Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Sickness caused by cat urine

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
My daughter has about 9 cats and 4 dogs. When I go into her home there is a strong odor of ammonia and it affects my breathing. I am concerned for my two granddaughters both are now suffering from asthma and are sick a lot. I think it is caused by the animal urine in the house. She said that it does not cause illness.

Is there somewhere I can go to get information on the affects of animal urine, ammonia smell that I can send her. I am concerned for the health of my granddaughters.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
Animals are usually asthma or allergy triggers.
The proteins found in animal dander, urine, feces, oil secretions and saliva, travels through the air on tiny particles lend in people nose, ears, eyes, and throat, triggering allergy and asthma symptoms directly or hours after the exposure.

Cats are one of the most potent asthma triggers (the worst offenders) and its urine is an especially strong trigger in many people.
Up to 50% of children with asthma have symptoms triggered by pets and if the pets are kept even though kids are asthmatic, the severity of their asthma symptoms will increase over time.
|
Did you find this post helpful?