Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Sick for Two Weeks?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Well, it started as a cold, anyway.

I first got sick two weeks ago. It started as a fairly mild cold, got severe enough after 5 days that I went to the doctor, who told me it was just a cold but that I was in danger of developing a sinus infection, as my nostrils were both completely inflamed/blocked shut. He gave me real Sudafed and sent me home. A few days later, I developed a very nasty cough, but that eventually went away.

I began improving, but then a few days ago I suddenly felt much sicker, in the middle of class. My nose, especially on the left side, began producing tons of mucus (mostly clear, flecks of green), itching, burning, and tickling, along with my eyes. I even felt pain in my teeth.

I haven't been quite that bad since then, but it is painful when I swallow, I have green mucus coming out of my nose, I sometimes have a headache, the lymph nodes in my neck are quite swollen, and at times I have full body aches. I called the doctor and he said that because I don't have a fever or regular sinus headaches, he thinks it's just a continuation of the same cold.

Is that possible? What's going on? I just want to be healthy again. I'm still feeling much better than when I went to the doctor the first time, but also still sick.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history provided, it seems that your symptoms are indeed due to a severe episode of acute sinusitis.

In addition to the current medications you are on, a course of antibiotics might be helpful for early resolution of the symptoms.

You might consider to consult your doctor for a prescription of necessary antibiotics.

I hope this helps.

|

replied July 2nd, 2011
yes i have the same symptoms, i started getting the flu 2 weeks ago and after a few days got it in its severity, then i started getting better, but what followed was a nasty cough for about 3-4 days, today the coughing has stopped but my nose is still runny, and allot of mucus from my nose/chest is still comming up. My doc said when i went to see him when i actually had the flu was that its just a cold and to rest but didnt give me anything, but im thinking, its been 2 weeks and i am still feeling yuck. The flu itself has gone but have i developed something else?
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
This was a while ago, but it turned out I DID have a sinus infection. Antibiotics cleared it up nicely, though I was still sick for another week or so while recovering. I say if it's over two weeks and you're not getting better, demand an answer other than "you just have a cold."
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2011
Experienced User
are you visit to your doctor?
|

replied January 24th, 2012
went to the hospital lsst friday had a nervous break down its then i found out i had a sinus infection they put me on zpack finshed thst still wasnt better went back to the dictoer told me i had bronctuis without phemonia..gave me prednisone i haf a reaction to it so stoped taken tgem yesteday havent slept in 3days have a dry cough and feel like im haven a outter body exsperince..is this stress helpppppl
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.