Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

shower after hernia

Ok, so I had a Right Inguinal Hernia which was operated on about three days ago. The doc said it was odd, because the WAY I got the hernia was by wearing out the muscles which gave way, which is why i felt absolutely no pain but saw the hernia with my own eyes.

So, after surgery, the doc says i can take a shower the next day (well he wrote it, he didn't say it). But i've been talking to many people all of which says I CAN'T take a shower because the dermabond will come off and leave a gaping hole in my stomach...very very bad.

So i'm wanting to get it from another professional's perspective, when can i take a shower after RIH Surgery and not damage the dermabond?

Also, does anyone have any ideas for sleep? I've had horrible sleep these days, because I don't have anyone to take care of me, I can't sleep in mybed because it hurts horribly bad to get out of (took me an hour to get out last time, and the only reason i wanted to get out was to shut the stupid alarm clock off). I'm sleeping in a simple chair right now, but it's not comfortable and it's killing mysleep time.

I can't stretch, anytime i go into one of those odd-body-shaped stretches it tries to stretch the muscles near the hernia, which hurts like nothing else, so i can't stretch and am just stiff all over. i hate sitting down all day, which is what it appears i'll have to do. i'm just tired, worn out, and hurting. the pain killers are nice...but they make me sleepy.

Can anyone help? especially with the shower thing...i'm really sick of not taking a shower.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Andy1968
|

replied October 20th, 2008
anyone?
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
shower after IH
My surgeon is the one that pioneered lathoscopic surgery back in the day. He's 72 and his main practice is out of the University of Rochester, NY. He's a brilliant surgeon very nice and very firm in his direction on recovery. He said the most important thing about IH is to get up and move around. He told me to walk quite a bit the day after surgery. He said it will hurt but you'll heal much faster with much less pain. He said the longer you sit around the longer the pain will be around. He said the next most important thing is bowel movements and urination. He said I should be having normal urination the day after and that I should take over the counter remedies for constipation. I usually use metamucile but he was pretty firm on telling me to use milk of mag. He said I could take a shower after 3 days but DO NOT directly wash the wound. He said just let the soap and water run over the wound then pat it dry and re-apply a clean dressing if needed due to slight discharge. It's been 4 days since my surgery. I had open right IH which extended into my scrotum. My scrotum is a deep dark purple with little to no pain..the nurses told me before I left the hospital to expect bruising. SO far things are going well I have had 3 good large bowel movements which seem to help with a lot of the pressure. My Doc. also told me it's absolutely imperative I stay away from fatty foods during the full time of recovery and no alcohol for 10 days. I am listing to my surgeon to the T and so far it's been a good healing experience. I wish all of you the best of luck
|

replied October 27th, 2010
You sound just like me. If I learn from anyone I'll tell you, but I hope you're fine after two years. I can't do the sleep thing either.
|