Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

shoulder replacement surgery (Page 1)

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi there,

I had total shoulder replacement surgery in April this year after fracturing my humerous head into 8 pieces in a car crash!! 4 months on now I am recovering well, I have been told that I should be able to lift my arm to shoulder level at least but so far I havent managed it yet. I also can't lift my arm out very much to the side yet. I hope with continuing physio that I will be able to. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had the same surgery?? If so can you please tell me what movement you have gotten back? thanks Very Happy

Gilly
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

replied February 21st, 2009
Shoulder Replacement Surgery
I have also had shoulder replacement surgery on April 29, 2008. I fell and shattered the humerous head in 4 pieces, tore up my rotator cuff, and the shoulder dislocated. I still have very limited motion, and constant pain. Nothing will help for the pain. The doctor said that I have heterotopic bone formation, and adhesive capsulitis, causing my limited motion, and pain. I have gone to Physical Therapy without success. I do my shoulder exercises every day, but it doesn't seem to help much. I'm sorry that I can't give you some good news, but I hope that you have better luck, than I seem to be having. Take care.

Virginia
|

replied February 21st, 2009
Hi Virgina,

thanks for your reply. I am actually doing quite well now, I can lift my arm just past shoulder level now. I am still in pain most days but its not unbearable. yeah my shoulder was dislocated too. I've just finished with my physio therapy. they said i wont improve anymore so there is no point continuing. i do try to do my exercises most days but sone days you just get fed up!! its always good to chat to someone who is going through the same thing as you,

thanks,
gillian
|

replied May 13th, 2009
Shoulder replacement surgery
Hi guys: I had total replacement in Jan 09. Did all the stuff I was supposed to do. Pain is pretty constant. I feel like I am being kicked to the curb by docs. I am a kayaker, gardener etc. This really stinks. I also have skin discoloration on upper shoulder and chest. Any of you have this? Thanks for any help
|

replied April 8th, 2012
Hey, I just saw this post because I had a Total shoulder about 10 weeks ago. I am an avid road cyclist. I am having some really intense burning pains throughout the shoulder.

Did you ever resolve your pain issue and get flexibility back? How long does this take?
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Community Volunteer
It takes a long time to recover from shoulder surgery...Both for the patient and caregiver...The pain is worse after the surgery than before it...Then add the therapy...You are right about doctors...But, then they just don't know how rough it is...

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied October 4th, 2009
I fell down a flight of stairs and shattered my left shoulder and right wrist. Two surgeries later (an 8 inch plate and 21 screws in my wrist and shoulder replacement) I am still in p/t and o/t. While recovery isn't as fast as I'd like (it has been 2 1/2 months) I do see a small improvement every week. I met someone who had total shoulder replacement in their 60's and plays volleyball every week. Keep going, it will get better, they say it can take up to a year. I am trying to get back all movement I had before. Not easy, but I am determined.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
upon a shoulder reversal procedure, is it common to have numbnes
my mother had shoulder replacement surgery in May of 09. She just wasn't making any progress, coupled with severe pain. After many complaints and exams, the surgeon tested her for an infection within the shoulder. That came back negative. So today 11-18-09, She had a shoulder reversal done as per the recommendation of the surgeon. Now being 8 hours post operation, she cannot move or feel her fingers. I do not recall her having this issue with the first replacement. Has anyone ever experienced this having this type of procedure done?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I am sorry, but I am not familiar with the full shoulder replacement...My husband has only had the two shoulder tears and repaired done with them...However, I do know of the pain involved in these...It is possible with the reversal procedure that there could be some numbness from a nerve that they hit that will repair itself...or just some little healing that has to be done to make this well...There is so much more therapy involved with the shoulder in healing and functioning again then anyone knows....I have seen many surgeries in our home...The shoulder was the most painful and required more care and therapy than all the others....I hope all works out fine for you, but wanted to pass this on....Good luck and take care...

Caroline
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Humerus Shattered - Shoulder Replacemen.
On 3/27/09 I took all four steps in my foyer in one giant stepâ��had to be going 90 mph when my feet planted at the bottom and threw me into a Stanley steel door 6 feet out. I shattered my dominant right upper arm in about 7 major breaks and crumbled everything around them.) To make a long story short: I snapped the ball off, cracked it down the middle, spun it 180�°, and drove it into the humerus arm bone, exploding it on impact. On 4/1/09 I had ~8 hour surgery to do a complete shoulder replacement. They cut the ball where the tendons where attached and wired the bones to the prostatic, wire a bunch more stuff to it and cemented it all together.

Recovery was a week in the hospital. Two more weeks with relatives. Then home alone to a hospital bed in the den, canâ��t lay down flat right? In-house PT/OT/Nursing until early July. Didnâ��t driving for >3 months and still have a turn ball on the steering wheel. Outside PT just completed last week. I have about 160�° of ROM. Which considering they told me be happy with anything over 90�° would be a miracle. Iâ��m only back to work PT 8 weeks ago and will be PT until the first of the year.

Problems��.I am very tired and very stressed . It is a very LONG recovery and I lack patience sometimes. It is a very PAINFUL recovery. I currently take no medication although the doctor said last week I could go on a regimen of Advil for inflammation. The final results can be very debilitating in that you have to deal with not being 100%.

Positive, I almost had it amputated. I�m grateful for the ROM I do have but it didn�t come easy. PT says I can return it the pain persists; no one is kicking me to the curb so to speak. My doctor is THRILLED with the results (Boston has some of the best in the world and I�m luck to leave in New England).

I need to keep working on it give it a year before I give up and be satisfied.

Be Well
|

replied January 24th, 2010
Should I have the shoulder replacement surgery?
I have severe arthritis in my left shoulder. I fell on my shoulder about 6 years ago and injured my rotator cuff. It has been painful ever since - at first bearable and every year it keeps getting worse. In the last year, I couldn't sleep on my left side and I couldn't lift my arm except to shoulder level. A few times it locked up and was extremely painful. After an x-ray - the doctor said my cartilege (sp?) is completely gone and it's bone on bone. He suggested shoulder replacement. I'm scheduled for surgery on March 19th, 2010 - but now I'm having second thoughts. In the last few weeks, my regular physician put me on Mobic, an anti-inflamatory medicine - which helps with inflamation, because all my joints were aching. Wow, I feel so much better and even my shoulder is bearable. Even though I'm 65, I'm still working as an executive assistant and I don't want to be out of work for too long. At the moment, my shoulder is not hindering me in anything important. I can still dress myself and do my hair and even reach for some things that are not too high. Again, I'm seriously having second thoughts.
|
Users who thank AJNana for this post: danielle14 

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I question if it is an Orthopedist that suggested a total shoulder replacement...My husband also fell down and tore his like you did...They were able to surgically attach it with whatever they used (This I could let you know)...This was after about five years of pain and loss of movement like you have had...Check this out...Seeing the distress and therapy in a complete shoulder replacement, I would suggest you do what you are doing until it gets so bad that you can't stand it...I feel this way, "if it ain't broke, why fix it"...

Honey, don't rush into this before you have too...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied January 25th, 2010
Shoulder replacement complications... Could use some advice.
I had a partial or hemi replacement done on my rt. shoulder in March, 2007. I'm only 47 years old and try to stay active. I still surf but I've been feeling more pain lately. Just last month my surgeon told me that scar tissue is pushing the implant out of place. I've had four surgeries on that shoulder, the last one was one year after my replacement to release the scar tissue. Now he says I need another replacement with a bigger implant. My question is.. another surgery will just create more scar tissue resulting in the same problem.. Is there a doctor out there who might offer some ideas to deal with the scar tissue without having to replace the whole joint again. I don't feel like starting over. Thanks...
|
Users who thank onearmsurfer for this post: shootingthetube 

replied September 6th, 2011
scar tissue
After 6 shoulder surgeries I had the same surgery as you in 2008, I also have adhesive capsulitis(scar tissue)which causes loss of range of motion and pain.I to had another surgery after my hemioplasty to remove more scar tissue and am worse now than ever. I recently saw a new ortho and he found by 3 x-rays I have no cartilage in my socket.What I thought was scar tissue snap,crackle and poppin it was my shoulder implant grinding metal on bone, plus it is very unstable. It slips partially out of the socket. I have never heard of scar tissue pushing an implant out of place. Im not a Dr but have been dealing with shoulder issues since 2002. sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to see the obvious. I need a total shoulder replacement now and wonder if they had done that from the start, would I be writing this? Good Luck
|

replied March 12th, 2010
I am happy to finally find another surfer who needs/needed TSR....I am 61 and have been diagnosed 3-4 years with bone on bone...Pain has gotten worse but after reading all these forums on TSR, I am afraid to try it...sounds like a very risky proposition....I love surfing....So I want to do the right thing in order to continue as long as possible....Are you sorry you had the surgery?
|

replied March 12th, 2010
TSR and Surfing
Hi Shootingthetube, the answer: yes and no. The pain before the replacement was pretty bad. That's better now. But I have lost more use of the arm that I expected. Since I was bone on bone for so long, I ground it down to the point that I don't have a socket anymore. I still surf, but I deal with pain during and for days after. Plus, I have a problem with the scar tissue. I've had four surgeries and they want to do more. Any other questions??
|

replied March 13th, 2010
TSR for surfers
Thanks for responding onearmsurfer...Have you found an orthopedic surgeon experienced in helping surfers/kayakers,etc. who need TSR?...I would like to talk to you on the phone about our condition if possible.....Mike....386-801-3194
|

replied June 21st, 2010
So glad to find this site. Starting to wonder if the pain is all in my head!! I've had frozen shoulder since surgery last August 2009. I tripped, fell on my shoulder on concrete and fractured my shoulder in 3 places. Dr. said it was beyond repair and did complete shoulder replacement. Absolute worst thing I've ever experience in my life and I have always had a high tolerance for pain. At 55, my life has done a 360 degree turn. Before my accident, I was very active, fun and always on the go. Depression has set in because I can't do the things I once did. Don't even want to be around friends because I feel like a broken record and a whinner. PT 3x a week, pullies, other exercises, malnipulation under sadation, and a CPM (Continous Passive Motion) chair at home and no improvement. Still can't lift my arm (on my own) higher that above my waist. Sick of my Dr. telling me it will take time to heal! Have to take pain meds and something to help me sleep at night. Now my other shoulder and hip are hurting because that's the only side I can sleep on. My family is tired of hearing my whinning and I'm tired of hearing myself.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
Sorry to hear so many people are having problems. I finally has TSR on Friday, June 18th. I'm surprised at how well I'm doing - of course, it's only been 5 days - my pain is almost non-existant unless I become too active - like showering, etc. I was doing so well that I was able to come home the next day. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop! Right now I'm glad to have had it done - I couldn't stand the pain I had before and not being able to use my left arm to do everyday things.

I'm sure once the staples are removed and I have to actually do p/t and start moving my arm, that the pain will be pretty bad, but I'm willing to do what is necessary if it means getting movement back.

Wish me luck - I'll keep you posted.
|

replied October 1st, 2012
Where did you have it done and by who..
|

replied June 26th, 2010
AJNANA

Glad your surgery went well. We sound very similar as to age, etc. I'm due for TSR on Aug. 4th. Mine will be via the new procedure which I'm told will get me back on my feet with very minimal PT and using the sling. Are you using the sling? I was told I would probably need one for about a month. So glad to hear from someone who's doing so well. Would love to hear more of your comments.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Hi Scooter01,

Yes, I 'm using a sling, too. I was concerned before when told I wouldn't use a Continuous Motion machine as I did on my knee surgery. However, my surgeon specializes in only shoulders and elbows - and is considered one of the best in the area - so I'm pretty sure he knows what's best. He said there was no problem with the surgery, everything went very well and he was pleased at how well I was doing - and let me go home the next day. I haven't really had any pain, other than an ache every now and then, and I'm pretty much doing what I usually do except for any heavy lifting. I'm doing laundry and obviously can type on the computer. I'm able to use both hands if I loosen my sling a little. He even said I could take it off every now and then as long as I didn't move my arm around. Sometimes the sling rubs my neck and I loosen it, but I keep it on most of the time. The only part I don't like is having to sleep sitting up. I have a bed that has the raised head and knees, but it's still a hassle.

Sorry to talk you ear off! I go in to have the staples removed on July 6. I'll know more about what to expect then and I'll be sure and keep you posted.

Bye for now! AJNana
|
Users who thank AJNana for this post: painfuljayce 

replied June 26th, 2010
Thanks for your quick reply. Things sound like they're really going well for you. Sure hope my surgery goes half as good as yours. I'm supposed to have a block before surgery. Did you have one and, if so, how did that go?
Good luck on the 6th and will look forward to hearing from you.
|
Quick Reply