Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

shortness of breath, very high blood pressure...

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I have shortness of breath, pain in my chest (both sides but not centre) this comes and goes. I have terrible pain in my lower legs (they look swollen), I feel light headed and I have dry skin patches on my arms which look like psoriasis. I also have recently had a medical check for life cover and they told me I have very high blood pressure, I also get bad pains in the back of my head every now and again. Are all these symptoms connected and if so is it serious?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2012
(online)
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms do appear to be due to hypertension or High blood pressure.

All levels above 120/80 mmHg raise your risk, and the risk grows as blood pressure numbers rise. High blood pressure (HBP) itself usually has no signs or symptoms. Rarely, headaches may occur. You can have HBP for years without knowing it. During this time, the condition can damage your heart, blood vessels, kidneys, and other parts of your body.

Most people with high blood pressure also have a element of stress and anxiety as the cause. Hence they present with chest discomfort, fatigue, difficulty breathing, aches and pains in the body. Obese individuals can also present with swelling of the legs due to dependent edema.

Trying to improve your physical fitness with weight loss, regular exercises and stress reduction, dietary reduction of salt, will be the initial steps to reduce your Blood pressure.

You may consult with your treating doctors for a examination and prescription of proper medications to control your symptoms.

Tests like Chest Xray, EKG, renal and liver functions also need to be done to rule out other potential causes.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.