Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Shortness of breath, dry thoat & mouth and difficulty swallo

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Can allergies really cause shortness of breath, dry throat and mouth and difficulty swallowing. Last week I experienced all these symptoms in overdrive. I've had them before in the past but never to the severity that I felt them last week. At first I thought it was my heart, so I did an ECG which showed that my heart was in good condition. I was told I was anemic as I was diagnosed a couple of years earlier. I also have fibroids, so my menstruation is VERY heavy each month. The nurse told me that is was my anemia that was causing all my symptoms and I should start taking iron tablets. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I was not anemic. He said I was quite healthy and he didn't know what caused my symptoms. He even sent me to do a chest x-ray which showed all was well. He asked me if I have sinus and I told him yes but it really doesn't bother me. He checked and said my sinus was draining and that was my nostrils always felt clogged from last week. He prescibed the pill Aerius for me to take 14 days and said this will clear up everything. I am scheduled to do a CBC and ESR test tomorrow. What I wanted to know was if allergies can really cause the symptoms I'm experiencing and if anyone knows what I can do when I'm unable to breath and start panicking ??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Nickyt100
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
Nickyt100, I experienced pretty much the same thing with shortness of breath, dry swollen throat too, it was very unsettling. I went to the Dr. and she asked the same questions about my period and chest x-rays etc. She prescribed an inhaler and was still uncertain of the cause of my symptoms. I however noticed that the symptoms seem to pop up after drinking Crystal Light, which makes me think I have recently developed an allergy to it. I'm not certain that is what is causing it but, I am going to stop drinking it and see if my symptoms return. I know how you feel and I hope you are able to find out what it is that's triggering your symptom...Blessings
|

replied December 3rd, 2011
Hi 555greatwhite, thanks for your reply. I went to another doctor and got a second opinion and would you believe I was developing asthma. The first doctor had asked if I was weezing and when I told him no he just brushed the possibility of asthma aside. My new doctor says you can indeed have asthma without weezing or coughing. I am on two inhalers now. My sinus was indeed what was causing my stuffiness and she gave me a nasal spray(Avamys) which works wonders for me. I am completely okay now and so thankful to be well again. I had to get tablets for my nervous system because the lack of sleep, associated with me panicking each time my chest started to tighen almost gave me a nervous breakdown. So don't ever let a doctor rule out asthma with shortness of breath just because you aren't weezing or coughing.
|

replied April 26th, 2013
dry mouth, throat, difficulty swallowing and breathing
I am experiencing similar symptoms, just out of the blue dry mouth and throat, difficulty breathing and swallowing that can last from a few minutes to several hours. An almost panic attack-like state. Also, occasionally intermittent sinus pain, dry sinuses, etc., painful sensitivity when brushing teeth. I am perimenopausal-bordering menopause and am of the firm belief that these are symptoms of shifts in estrogen-progesterone levels. My symptoms just come and go which leads me to believe that they are attributed to hormonal level changes. I plan to begin using dry mouth remedies, and to chew more gum to stimulate saliva as well as sipping water frequently during these episodes. Keeping a journal of food intake, exercise, etc., can be very beneficial in tracking changes so that if it is the case of allergy you can quickly determine what food is indeed causing issues. Food allergies have become more prominent for me going into menopause; thus, I have drastically changed my diet. In order to determine foods that I am allergic to, I ate a very bland diet for several days, and then introduce one or two foods on the third day to test if I experience a reaction. I would immediately within a few hours experience either a small rash, facial reddening, difficulty breathing, palpitations, etc. I repeated this test and introduced different foods that I suspected every several days. This test was very accurate for me. I have a long list of foods that cause an allergic response through this method. I hope that this proves useful to someone.
|

replied March 9th, 2014
I had all of these symptoms as well and started to wonder what the culprit could be. I was beginnig to think I had some real anxiety issues. But I notice I only have them when I make 2quart pitchers of Crystal Light Peach tea!! After eliminating so many other possibilities it hit me while driving.. I searched the symptoms and Crystal light, found this thread and I feel relieved to know it's not just me! I'm not crazy!!!
|