Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Shortness of breath, barking cough, swollen lymph nodes

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Hello,

I am a 22 year old female...I have been having progressively worse shortness of breath with activity (I used to climb the stairs to my office every day, but now I can barely make it up one flight without stopping to catch my breath), I have had a barking non-productive cough for the past two months (the cough is increasing in frequency), I get dizzy and my heart pounds when I stand up, my blood pressure was so low yesterday that the nurse couldn't get a reading, my resting heart rate is increased (110 bpm). I also have a swollen pea-sized lymph node just above my left collar bone, a grape sized one below the left side of my jaw and another pea-sized one under my chin; they are all very firm (like a rubber ball) and minimally mobile. I am also VERY pale, you can see the veins in my chest, arms, hands, feet, legs, etc and there are huge dark circles under my eyes. There are also a few lumps in my left breast, but my doctor cannot tell if they are lymph nodes or not.

I have been having episodes of extreme drenching sweats at random intervals, and I have lost 50 lbs in the last 5 months without trying.

I am also having problems with vaginal bleeding and pain during and after intercourse, in the past month I have been bleeding bright red blood for two weeks (with some clots) and in the past two weeks it has switched to brown blood with clots; there is no smell, I am in a monogamous relationship (and have only slept with one person in my life), and I have never had an STI. Recently I have begun having nosebleeds as well.

I am also very fatigued, I never feel rested and if given the opportunity I will sleep for 16-18 hours at a time. NOTHING helps my feeling of fatigue. My PCP feels that I may be depressed but I don't agree, I WANT to socialize, play with my daughter, run, cycle, and do everything that I used to do and I still thoroughly enjoy all of those activities, it's just that I have to take frequent breaks to sit down/cat nap because I get so tired I just can't keep up...

I had a chest x-ray and was told that I have a "cloudy area" in my left lung, and I am currently awaiting the results of a CT scan.

I am currently being evaluated by my PCP, but she isn't taking the situation too seriously because of my young age (she feels that it can't be anything serious because I am young and was previously healthy)...I have been tested for mono (EBV), cytomegalovirus (spelling?), AIDS, Hep B and C, TB, and a type of herpes virus (can't remember the name of it), and everything was negative. I have also been tested for every STI in the book (which I felt was unnecessary and insulting given my sexual health history), everything was negative with that as well...

...before all of this started I was perfectly healthy, full of energy and running 10K nearly every day...this is really affecting my quality of life and interrupting my daily activities and I am desperate to know what might be wrong with me?? If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful!
Did you find this post helpful?
|