Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Shortness of breath and rib pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
My grandmother has had shortness of breath for a while now. She refuses to tell her doctor. It gets so bad sometimes she can't hardly talk. She is in her late 70's, has never smoked. She also has sharp rib pain. A short while ago she had tingling and numbness in her face, tongue, hands, feet. I am very concerned! Please give me some possibilities so I can present them to her and maybe if she thinks it is serious enough, I can get her to go to the doctor!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2010
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A10253
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be concerned by the breathlessness in your grandmother along with numbness in hands and feet and a sharp pain in the ribs.
At such an elder age of late seventies, with symptoms of breathlessness, the possibility of heart disease need to be ruled out. It might be the first sign of slowly developing heart failure. Cause may the untreated high blood pressure or coronary blockages. The sharp pain in the chest at elder age is usually taken to be anginal pain unless proved otherwise. Proper investigations including ECG, echocardiography and chest x-ray should be done and if indicated coronary angiography to delineate the blockage if suspected. Breathlessness can also be due to lung diseases including COPD etc. though it is more likely in persons with history of cigarette smoking.
Other causes of breathlessness include anemia, superior vena cava syndrome, lung or breast cancer, pneumonia with pleural effusion, irregular heart rhythm, pericardial effusion etc.
Potential causes of tingling and numbness which need to be considered in your grandmother include diabetes, carpal tunnel syndrome, migraine, hypothyroidism, B12 deficiency etc.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.